Princess Cays status

palolake

As the hurricane is still in the immediate area- I think it is predicted to start lifting out of the area today, it might be a day or two before we really should expect info.

Plus it sounds like the damage in the Bahamas generally is pretty extensive. Rescue is the first priority.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Even looking at the Bahamas newspapers I don't see anything on south Eluthera. North end of the island took a beating. Other islands got hit worse. Government is doing an island by island survey. You can also see updates on the local TV station (znsbahamas).

I saw pictures of the island today on a news site and the place was destroyed, nothing but a barren beach. Good news is they have like 15 days until a ship calls their, hopefully they can repair damage and replace beach furniture. It will probably be a while before they can build new cabanas, buffet station and restrooms...

Does this settle it? Eleuthera is not that big of an island, so if this place is okay, then Princess's property in the southwest is likely okay.

http://www.examiner.com/article/world-famous-eleuthera-resorts-escape-hurricane-joaquin

Thank you! That was one of the articles I read but I couldn't get the link to post from my phone!

We skipped Princess Cays several times. Once was on a cruise in December due to hurricane damage a couple of months beforehand. The ship went to Nassau instead. Once was due to high winds/waves that made tendering dangerous. The last time was in August 2014 when the captain changed course to avoid Hurricane Bertha. We still had great cruises without going there.

Quite frankly, I think we should all be more concerned about the welfare of the Bahamian people and their infrastructures and livelihoods than whether our particular trip will stop at PC or bypass for another place or additional sea day.

http://www.eleutheranews.com/permalink/4932.html

Thank you for the link. I agree. I was looking for info on the entire region as I have not see the reports we would have if it was the US effected.

Does this settle it? Eleuthera is not that big of an island, so if this place is okay, then Princess's property in the southwest is likely okay.

Eleuthera is more than 100 miles long. 100 miles between locations

when looking at hurricane damage can be very different.

But, this thread is classic cruise critic ...

Place is a complete loss

or

Everything is ok

Eleuthera is more than 100 miles long. 100 miles between locations

when looking at hurricane damage can be very different.

But, this thread is classic cruise critic ...

Place is a complete loss

or

Everything is ok

Yes, that resort is much further north than I thought (I just checked a map). But I did read something about Governor's Harbour and now I can't find it - I should have posted that one. That town is much closer to Princess Cays in the south, but I do realize extent of damage can be local.