Get your flu shot!

Mommypig

Just got off the Star Princess and there were numerous people diagnosed with flu. Enough people were diagnosed with flu or having positive flu antibodies that ship dr was sending reports to Canadian health authorities. Had multiple critical patients. I ended up with pneumonia, but as an asthmatic that can happen after a viral cold, and generally respond well to antibiotics and prednisone. Hubs however I fear has the flu.

Ship never went to code red, although there were days there was no silverware on the buffet tables.

Anyway, if there is a cruise in your future get your flu shot, both pneumonia shots, and any shots pertinent to where you are going. Being sick on a cruise is noo fun.

We are currently in Vancouver for a few days. Visiting a walkin clinic as we speak. Hopefully they will help him turn the corner on this.

I was on the Star for the August 29th sailing from Whittier. There were a lot of people coughing and sneezing, most of whom chose not to cancel excursions. As a result we rode busses with over half of the people coughing and by Thursday night I was sick. Mine ended up being a flu virus, diagnosed after we got back, and I'm still not completely over it. It stinks to get sick on vacation, but it is so much better if people would stay in their cabins to avoid infecting others. Hope you and your husband get better soon.

I'm sorry both of you got sick. Sorry, but my husband cannot get the flu shot. It makes him very ill. Does it mean he's not allowed to cruise?

Of course not. He can cruise. Flu shots are not required. Just a very good idea if you are ok with them.

Just got off the Star Princess and there were numerous people diagnosed with flu. Enough people were diagnosed with flu or having positive flu antibodies that ship dr was sending reports to Canadian health authorities. Had multiple critical patients. I ended up with pneumonia, but as an asthmatic that can happen after a viral cold, and generally respond well to antibiotics and prednisone. Hubs however I fear has the flu.

Ship never went to code red, although there were days there was no silverware on the buffet tables.

Anyway, if there is a cruise in your future get your flu shot, both pneumonia shots, and any shots pertinent to where you are going. Being sick on a cruise is noo fun.

We are currently in Vancouver for a few days. Visiting a walkin clinic as we speak. Hopefully they will help him turn the corner on this.

THANK YOU FOR THE ALERT! Sorry to hear you and hubbie are sick, but glad to be reminded to check re flu and pneumonia shots for me for next year. Have questioned the Dr as I've have a pneumonia shot before and thought I was due for another, but will double-check. I also am asthmatic, and paranoid about having my cruise spoilt by overlooking something essential! Have noted to ask about carrying an antibiotic with me, and prednisone-I loathe the taste and find swallowing it hard, but it sure clobbers the infection hard! :D

Hope you're both soon on the road to full recovery.

I avoid vaccinations as they tend to worsen an autoimmune disease I have - but I'm extremely diligent about good hygiene - and would never consider "sharing" anything I picked up while on vacation - at least knowingly.....that said it seems early for multiple reports off the flu - or perhaps the warm temps of this summer have me out of touch with the calendar......hope everyone gets to feeling better soon.

Sorry to hear about the illnesses. The flu shot in each country or region is customized for the flu strain that locality. So, you can get the US flu shot but if there are passengers onboard from other countries, you won't be protected against the strain they might have.

Last year, I got the flu shot before flying to Copenhagen to board the Royal to NYC. Flu was rampant on the ship and I caught something; toughed it out as long as I could before finally going to the Medical Center. I didn't have the flu and was told my illness was bacterial. The doctor explained the regional flu strains to me and while I'd had the flu shot, it didn't protect me from other strains. About $400, a pile of medications and 36 hours later, I was feeling a lot better.

I plan on getting the flu shot but I'm now much more realistic about what it'll protect me from.

Edited by Pam in CA

I'm sorry both of you got sick. Sorry, but my husband cannot get the flu shot. It makes him very ill. Does it mean he's not allowed to cruise?

He can cruise, but would need to be super vigilant in terms of hand washing and avoiding ill people.

i am seriously considering wearing a mask next time we have so many hackers.

Sorry to hear about the illnesses. The flu shot in each country or region is customized for the flu strain that locality. So, you can get the US flu shot but if there are passengers onboard from other countries, you won't be protected against the strain they might have.

Last year, I got the flu shot before flying to Copenhagen to board the Royal to NYC. Flu was rampant on the ship and I caught something; toughed it out as long as I could before finally going to the Medical Center. I didn't have the flu and was told my illness was bacterial. The doctor explained the regional flu strains to me and while I'd had the flu shot, it didn't protect me from other strains. About $400, a pile of medications and 36 hours later, I was feeling a lot better.

I plan on getting the flu shot but I'm now much more realistic about what it'll protect me from.

i hadn't thought about different strains and different countries but that is a valid point.

Got ours yesterday. We figured with the cruise coming up it was a good idea.

As they say on the news, if you get the flu even though you got the shot it is usually not as severe. If you do not worry about yourself, do it for the rest of us.

Flu shots are starting on Sept 26 at our HMO, the day we sail. :)

I use therapeutic grade essential oils and use a diffuser onboard. Hopefully, we will stay well.

Patti

I am leaving next Friday and got my flu shot last month. If you have medicare the shot is free. If not you can get them at Costco for under $20. I do not believe you have to be a member for the pharmacy. All the major drug stores are also giving them.

I am trying to prepare. I have been taking Airborne for a week and will take them throughout the cruise.

Wow I can't believe the flu is still circulating on the Star! We all got the flu on the Aug 1 sailing. I guess it is staying on board with the staff. 2 of my family got better in about a week but 2 of us got secondary bacterial infections and we were sick nearly a month. They did try and contain some people in cabins and offered for the Dr to make house calls but it still was spreading noticeably.

Wow I can't believe the flu is still circulating on the Star! We all got the flu on the Aug 1 sailing. I guess it is staying on board with the staff. 2 of my family got better in about a week but 2 of us got secondary bacterial infections and we were sick nearly a month. They did try and contain some people in cabins and offered for the Dr to make house calls but it still was spreading noticeably.

We were fine on the Grand sailing north, and didn't notice an abnormal amount of coughing, hacking. But one the land tour (Off the Beaten Path) we noticed that there was some serious hacking going on. We were both starting to be under the weather by Thursday, and were exceedingly glad that both excursions in Copper River were cancelled. We were hoping the day of napping would do the trick, but by Sunday I had pneumonia. The ship's doctor was very good and listened about my antibiotic history. Since the last bout last January they used Levaquin, she gave me another course of that rather than just doing amoxicillin. Also gave me an extra nebulizer treatment that was very effective in breaking up the crud. Worth every penny, even though I am hoping both my health ins and travel ins will reimburse.

Pam,

Did your travel insurance cover the $400.?????? Ours always has from seeing the Dr. on board.

Grace

It wasn't spreading that noticeably as we were on that sailing also, and hadn't noticed it at all. No one in our group of 12 was I'll at all, nor were we aware of any illness sweeping the ship - no coughing or hacking out of normal that we noticed. And none of our crew friends were I'll or reporting any spreading illness either.. Sorry if you or yours were ill, but it certainly wasn't spreading noticeably amongst the rest of us...

Pam,

Did your travel insurance cover the $400.?????? Ours always has from seeing the Dr. on board.

Grace

It should. Talked to agent today because of hubs. His wasn't as expensive, but it should still cover both. But we have to submit to primary first I think.

Thank you for your voice of reason and words of wisdom!! You are right on the money in your explanation.

Unfortunately a lot of people with common colds think they have the flu. Pam is quite correct, flu shots very from region to region depending upon what type of flu is expected in that region so the one in CA may not protect you from the flu strain that is going the rounds in say FL. The primary flu season tends to be Dec thru March so to get one in the 3rd week of Sept is likely a little to early as it will be less effective when you really need it. I know that in our area flu shots are generally not available until late in Oct. That all said, one should really consult with their healthcare provider as to when they should get a flu shot rather than relying on advice provided on Cruise Critic.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season.htm