Obligatory handwashing on Princess???

COLGATE

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.

Purell is a "feel good" sanitizer and really does not kill the Noro Virus. It is lacking Benzethonium Chloride. So the best thing to do is to wash your hands vigorously with soap and water.

False sense of security.

I am not a germaphobic but do practice good hygiene to protect myself.

News to me ... We have seen and used the Purell machines on CB, EP, RU which are in the Lido Buffet area.

Seems odd they would not have been at entrances to same areas on Royal/Regal.

Sailing on Regal in early Nov, so we'll see what we have there.

What sort of hand-washing did they have if it wasn't a Purell machine???

I wash my hands in the closest restroom to the buffet and MDR before entering (use paper towel to open the door if door doesn't swing outward with a hip pus and usually still have wet hands when entering for food.

I skip the hand sanitizer because it doesn't do a thing except maybe wet the top layer of dirt on unwashed hands. Yes, I do get dirty looks from the ignorant that don't know the hand sanitizer is just a inefficient attempt to clear hands.

Both the Royal and Regal have sinks outside the buffet area - when there are concerns about Noro the stewards are very vigilant and make you line up to wash before allowing you to enter. As we all know, proper washing is the only effective way to control the virus - Purell just makes us feel better.

Not sure having to wash your hands before entering the buffet is something to be upset about.

• Like 1

There is hand washing sinks outside the buffet area. Rarely do I see cruisers use them. More just the purel stations.

I think it's interesting, but it wouldn't be humiliating to me. (It's worth a raised eyebrow and shrug.) With the buffet and being on the TA, fear of noro was a bigger concern.

Actually I'd be happy the people around me we forced to have clean hands. if you ever had noro or been on a ship with a large number of sick people, I think you'd appreciate any steps the ship was taking.

Edited by eandj
  • Like 1

Hand washing as you enter the Buffet area has always been the requirement on both the Royal and Regal. It's an excellent idea. Don't know why you would say it's an humiliating experience. Washing your hands is the best way to protect yourself and the other cruisers.

I don't believe Princess is the first cruise line that experimented with hand wash stations rather than sanitizer dispensers at the entrance to the buffet area. Don't know if anyone else's reaction to such a trial was ever so angry though. (Nor have I ever seen anyone refer to the Lido on Royal Princess as a 'cafeteria' either :rolleyes:)

Purell is a "feel good" sanitizer and really does not kill the Noro Virus. It is lacking Benzethonium Chloride. So the best thing to do is to wash your hands vigorously with soap and water.

Cruise lines use Purell's VF-481, not the standard over-the-counter product which relies on alcohol alone. This enhanced hand sanitizer has added ingredients specifically designed to be effective against Noro and other similar viruses. Hand washing is the gold standard, but VF-481 is still very effective.

Well we are coming into cold and flu season. Sounds like a great idea to have everyone wash there hands before entering the buffet since everyone's using the utensils. Makes sense to me to be very cautious the first few days at sea to make sure there are no outbreaks of Noro. Too bad everyone of Princess's ships don't have the hand washing stations.

Cruise lines use Purell's VF-481, not the standard over-the-counter product which relies on alcohol alone. This enhanced hand sanitizer has added ingredients specifically designed to be effective against Noro and other similar viruses. Hand washing is the gold standard, but VF-481 is still very effective.

Absolutely right! Not all hand sanitizers are created equal. The VF-481, marketed as "Purell Advanced" has been shown to be effective. For those who think the hand sanitizer is not helpful at all, it has been shown that handwashing with antibacterial soap along with VF-481 is more effective than either method alone.

I don't see what the fuss is about. There's nothing humiliating about being required to wash your hands before you go into an area where unclean hands can cause 100s of people to get sick, and potentially ruin everyone's vacation.

If you're asked to use hand sanitizer and/or wash your hands, just do it. It is happening for a reason!

I wash my hands in the closest restroom to the buffet and MDR before entering (use paper towel to open the door if door doesn't swing outward with a hip pus and usually still have wet hands when entering for food.

I skip the hand sanitizer because it doesn't do a thing except maybe wet the top layer of dirt on unwashed hands. Yes, I do get dirty looks from the ignorant that don't know the hand sanitizer is just a inefficient attempt to clear hands.

Most of those 'ignorant' have no way of knowing you just came from the restroom and washed your hands. I wouldn't be so quick to condemn them and call them names.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the information. I found this article. Isn't the internet wonderful. Not the end all, but at least a start.

http://handwashingforlife.com/files/Norovirus_Study.pdf

We just returned from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale on Royal Princess. To our astonishment, we were informed that in order to enter the cafeterias on Deck 16 all passengers were required to wash their hands, in view of the steward(s) at the door. Refusal was met with refusal to let the passenger enter the cafeteria.

After a week this humiliating practice ended and the ship (finally) installed the Purell machines all other cruise lines use (and which Royal Princess itself uses in the main dining rooms!) without announcement or explanation. An excess of zeal by the Capitain? Paranoia about shipboard viral :eek:contamination? Who knows? No official announcement of the policy or explanation was ever issued or given anyone.

Bizarre and very unsettling. Will be interested to see if future passengers encounter the same nonsense.[/quote

I am stunned that you think that asking you to wash your hands is humiliating, bizarre and unsettling.

Both the Royal and Regal have sinks outside the buffet area - when there are concerns about Noro the stewards are very vigilant and make you line up to wash before allowing you to enter. As we all know, proper washing is the only effective way to control the virus - Purell just makes us feel better.

Not sure having to wash your hands before entering the buffet is something to be upset about.

We were on the same cruise and we appreciated the extra effort by Princess to prevent disease. It was no big deal and actually to me very pro-active!

We were on the same transatlantic cruise. Many, many people on the ship had a very nasty cough, and obvious cold symptoms. Apparently, on the previous British Isles cruise the coughing was even worse. I suspect that is reason for the

vigilant hand-washing procedure. I am certain that my table-mates in the MDR who missed a couple of days of activities and voluntarily remained in their stateroom because they caught the virus wished there had been obligatory hand-washing else where on the ship. Also, of note there were many very senior passengers on that ship for whom a nasty cold may have had serious consequences. Princess certainly has my support in their preventative efforts.

Would not bother me , I am all in favor of everyone washing hands as you enter the buffet, or dinning rooms, I think there would be far less Noro if they strictly enforced the use of the hand Purell as well , it might not kill Noro , but it would help with colds and flu as well I would hope.

Cori

We are currently on the first two Royal Princess Caribbean cruises following the Transatlantic. Hand washing is required at the two sinks prior to entering the buffet. I feel sorrow for the poor guy who is enforcing it, though most comply cheerfully. I am for just about any preventive measures that might help keep me from getting sick on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk