Scooters on board ship to rent

allanna

I managed last week( on the NOTS ) to hire ON BOARD a scooter for my 14 day cruise.

It made life easier and I also managed to take it off ship in a couple of ports to join the Hop on Hop off service bus that had a ramp to get me on the bus.

Thanks for posting this. I am also taking a 14 day cruise and renting scooter for first time and feeling a bit nervous. What ship were you on? What ports were you able to use Hop on and Off?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I managed last week( on the NOTS ) to hire ON BOARD a scooter for my 14 day cruise.

It made life easier and I also managed to take it off ship in a couple of ports to join the Hop on Hop off service bus that had a ramp to get me on the bus.

You were very lucky to have rented a scooter directly on board the Navigator of the Seas because as a rule Royal Carribean does not offer on board scooter rentals on any of its ships . A passenger must either bring one with them or rent one through RCCL's approved venders which are Scootaround (formerly CareVacations) or SpecialNeedsatSea.

You apparently were able to rent a scooter that had not been picked up from the ship by the rental vendor from the previous cruise. That's what happened when a person in out group had an issue with their personal scooter. Guest Servies told her that the only way she was able to get a scooter on board because SpecialNeedsatSea did not pick up that passengers rented directly from them on the previous cruise.

Don't always count on being able to get one on board. If you need one in the future it's recommended that you prearrange it through RCCL's approved vendors.

FYI -Celebrity which is owned by Royal Carribean's parent company has been reported to offer on board scooter rentals.

I rented from a company that Royal Carribean recommended. It is suppose to be in our state room by 2pm.

Though the rental agreement notes delivery by 2:00PM there is always the possibilty it may be late. Though the vendor will be at the pier early the ship controls all on board deliveries. Ship supplies are given priorty over passenger rental deliveries. Suggest you make certain to print a copy of the rental agreement as it contains the emergency contact number and place it with your travl documents if you need to contact the vendor on embarkation day,

Seashoregal,

Just finished ( 26/05/2017 ) 14 days on the NOTS from Southampton and return.

I was at guest Services on day 3 (for an other reason) when the guy in front was asking to hire a wheelchair. I enquired if they hired scooters on board.and managed to hire one, ok it cost about 140$ but due to the distance between our cabin (1535 Deck 10 ) and the main area`s this made life easier.

The carpets in the corridors to the cabins slowed down the scooter and because of this used a great deal of power from the battery very quickly.A full charge every night was needed.

I think most HOHO buses have a ramp,

I was on emerald princess with a scooter Getting on and off the elevator was fine except for the occasional person squeezing past you or acting like they down she you waiting for a elevator and run in first.The worst wss after the muster drill a lot of rude people had to wait for a while

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

I found that getting on/off the elevator was easiest when I could back into the elevator. Most of the "rush hour" elevator traffic sort of prevents this because people are scrambling to get onto the elevators thus filling up the elevator before you get a chance to back in. My experience though has been that most people are quite courteous and patiently let me get into the elevator. ALL BETS are off on embarkation and disembarkation. :cool:

Just got off Norwegian Pearl and for a change, actually found it easier to front into the elevator and back out. The whole back wall was mirrored so I had a clear view of where people were and where the door was.

I also always apologize for holding up progress. Yes, I have a perfect right to be there but it's simple courtesy and lets them feel gracious when they reply that it is no problem (and someone always does). If I can derail resentment and buy goodwill with a few words, I will. Every. Single. Time.

Alanna, you discovered why I ALWAYS urge people with any kind of mobility problem to rent a scooter. The ships are just too big. I used my scooter rather than my wheelchair whenever possible, both to spare DH having to push me, and because I could (barely) get by the laundry carts with my scooter but not with my wheelchair.

• 1 month later...
Just got off Norwegian Pearl and for a change, actually found it easier to front into the elevator and back out. The whole back wall was mirrored so I had a clear view of where people were and where the door was.

I also always apologize for holding up progress. Yes, I have a perfect right to be there but it's simple courtesy and lets them feel gracious when they reply that it is no problem (and someone always does). If I can derail resentment and buy goodwill with a few words, I will. Every. Single. Time.

Alanna, you discovered why I ALWAYS urge people with any kind of mobility problem to rent a scooter. The ships are just too big. I used my scooter rather than my wheelchair whenever possible, both to spare DH having to push me, and because I could (barely) get by the laundry carts with my scooter but not with my wheelchair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

Having a scooter to use on and off ship was so wonderful.

It made me independent.

Just wish I had learned about the reset button a lot sooner.

If you rent a scooter definitely learn where the reset button is located.

What is the reset button? We'll be renting scooters for our Nov 11 cruise. Thanks for forward in elevator tip.

Following is information regarding scooter rentals from the cruise line approved vendor including the RESET BUTTON:

Embarkation Day: The rental scooter will be deliver to the cabin onembarkation day and must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. If you usethe ship's wheelchair assistance on embarkation day note that you will bedropped off in a public area . If not taken directly to your cabin and droppedoff in a public area than once cabins are available to passengers someone fromyour party will have to go to the cabin to get the scooter if you're unable tomake the walk. The scooter rental contract states that the scooter will not bedelivered until 2:00 PM . It's also important to note that rental equipmentdelivered to the ship is not given priority loading by the cruise line as shipssupplies take precedent. Therefore the scooter might not appear in the cabinuntil closer to the sailing time though it was deliver to the port by 2:00 PM.

Disembarkation Day: The rental scooter must be left in the cabin ondisembarkation day. The cruise line will not provide wheelchairassistance/pickup from the cabin. The night before a location for wheelchairassistance for disembarkation will be published in the daily cruise newsletter.You can ride the scooter to that location but than someone from your group mustthan take the scooter back to cabin for pickup from the rental company.

If you have not booked an accessible cabin than depending on the type ofscooter required due to weight capacity it may not fit through the stateroomdoor. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Dueto the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Lifeat Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or anyother public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede thesafety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways notto mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of anactual emergency. Even if the cabin attendant tells you it's Ok it's NOT !I for one will contact the ships security to have the scooter removed if one isobserved left in the hallway.

Scooters or any personal items for that matter CANNOT be stored on balcony.

After you obtained the scooter you should go to the dining room to check thelocation of your assigned table if traditional dining has been chosen. Reasonyou need to check that there is a good path to drive the scooter to the table.Once at the table you can transfer to a chair and the wait staff will than parkthe scooter in area that will not hinder others in the dining room. If there'san issue than go to the Matre'D and request a change in table location.

Scooter keys are not unique as car keys. Scooter keys are universal and ascooter can easily be mistaken. Therefore I suggest you bring an extra luggagetag for the scooter to identify your rental scooter.

The most common scooters rented by SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround (formerly CareVacations) are the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler or the Pride Go GoSport which both have a very low under clearance of 1.5". Therefore it'snot unusual that the scooter will get hung up on the gangway joints. Under nocircumstance should you allow the ship's personnel to force push the scooterover the joints which is the crews first reactive response. The scooter needsto be placed in freewheel mode and then rolled over the joints. To place infreewheel mode there is a yellow lever on the rear wheels directly under theseat. When the lever is in the LockedIcon Mode the scooter is able to be driven. If in the Un-Locked Icon mode the scooter will be in Freewheel mode. Ifyou aren't able to walk down/up the gangway than a person from the ship's crewmust guide the scooter up/down the ramp while another pushes the scooterup/down the ramp while. If you're able to walk up/down the ramp it'srecommended that you do so while the scooter is than freewheeled pulled up/downthe ramp. If the scooter isn't placed in freewheel and the crew force pushesthe scooter over the gangway joints the scooter can be permanently damaged andsince it's a rental you will be responsible for the repair costs or possiblythe complete replacement cost.

Reset Button:The Pride GoGo EliteTraveler and Pride GoGO cannot handle steep inclines. When the incline is toomuch for the scooter to handle the motor is designed to shut down the scooter automatically. Should this occur there is a reset button onthe battery casing below the seat. There’sa rubber bubble cover it. Turn thescooter off. Press the bubble thus pushing the reset button back in to place andthen restart the scooter. If after doing this a couple of times and the scooterdoes not reset than that an indication that the motor has been damaged byforcing it to exceed its limitations. Note : Some people will tell you thebubble lights up but it doesn’t as it does not contain a light.

If there are any tendered ports you will only be permitted onto the tender ifthe tender has roll-on capabilities. Also note regardless of whether it's adocked or tendered port Captain has the discretion to not allow wheelchairs andscooters from exiting the ship as safety of the passengers is always the utmostconcern.

Thescooter does not stop a dime. It has a rolling stop… the slower the speed priorto stopping the shorter the roll… the faster the speed the longer the roll. Thereforeyou need to always be aware of this so as not to run into other passengers andor objects.