Four-wheel underseater

LBB

Isn't that an oxymoron? ;)

Why do you need a 4-wheeler? The less, the better if you plan on stuffing it under the seat. I'd bet the wheels would be sticking out into what little foot space you have. Unless you are in the window, the people next to you would likely be hitting those wheels every time they wanted out to the aisle.

In any case, go to the eBags site. Look at "underseat bags" - lots to choose from. For me, the smaller, the better so I have foot space!!!! No fun on a flight when you have to keep your legs in a DVT-prone position with no room to stretch...

You can pull the bag out from under the seat to stretch your legs under the seat in front of you during the flight. It has to be stowed only for takeoff and landing, and it'd be polite to move it for your row-mates to get by for bathroom trips. ;)

I agree with slidergirl. You have a limited amount of space for underseat stowage, and a large part of that space is going to be taken up by the four wheels rather than by the stuff in your bag. No wheels = more space in bag. Two recessed wheels = decreased space in bag. Four extended wheels (spinners) = even less space in bag.

For cruises I tend to take a smallish suitcase that I check, and a small carry-on that CAN go under the seat (though I prefer to put it above). I have one with no wheels that piggybacks onto my suitcase, so I only have to tote it myself a short distance. I have another one, a much-loved two-wheeled baggallini that also can rest atop a suitcase (a sleeve on the back goes through the extended handle of the suitcase).

For land trips or any trips involving a lot of train travel, I pack even lighter -- a smaller suitcase and probably only a large cross-body bag.

You can pull the bag out from under the seat to stretch your legs under the seat in front of you during the flight. It has to be stowed only for takeoff and landing, and it'd be polite to move it for your row-mates to get by for bathroom trips. ;)

And, when you are asleep and your "roommates" want to get out??? And, if you get the lucky seat where the seat in front of you had the IFE (in-flight entertainment) box, which takes away some of the space under the seat in front of you?? I had one of those seats on my first (and last) American Airlines flights from DFW to LHR. There was barely room to fit my feet, let alone a 4-wheeled "underseat" roller. I would have had to have the FAs take my carryon and cabin check it to be able to put the underseat bag up top instead of my carryon...

Don't get me started on trying to take on a carryon and a wheeled underseat bag on a regional flight :eek:

And, when you are asleep and your "roommates" want to get out??? And, if you get the lucky seat where the seat in front of you had the IFE (in-flight entertainment) box, which takes away some of the space under the seat in front of you?? I had one of those seats on my first (and last) American Airlines flights from DFW to LHR. There was barely room to fit my feet, let alone a 4-wheeled "underseat" roller. I would have had to have the FAs take my carryon and cabin check it to be able to put the underseat bag up top instead of my carryon...

If one has the IFE box, one will have to use the overhead bin regardless, except maybe for a small purse, during takeoff and landing. But the bag can be on the floor during flight. And if I am asleep, my legs will be in the way regardless of whether there's a bag under them, so chances are someone will wake me unless I'm seated with hurdlers. But I want an aisle seat, so that's the deal. Not a biggie.

If one has the IFE box, one will have to use the overhead bin regardless, except maybe for a small purse, during takeoff and landing. But the bag can be on the floor during flight. And if I am asleep, my legs will be in the way regardless of whether there's a bag under them, so chances are someone will wake me unless I'm seated with hurdlers. But I want an aisle seat, so that's the deal. Not a biggie.

Sorry. No rule says that you get to shove two bloated bags in the overhead just because you got the IFE seat. No rule on that at all. And, more than a handful of seats have that IFE, you are saying that 50 or so people get to use extra space that doesn't exist because they chose their seat poorly? That is only for bulkhead seats. So, you will have to give the FA one of your two bags, because that bag MUST be securely stowed UNDER THE SEAT for takeoff and landing. Good luck.

Two of my pet peeves on a flight - one who feels the need to shove the setback all the way back at full force and leave it there the entire flight so I get to eat dinner with my tray shoved up against my body and those who feel entitled to put a carryon and their "personal" bag up in the overhead...

Sorry. No rule says that you get to shove two bloated bags in the overhead just because you got the IFE seat. No rule on that at all. And, more than a handful of seats have that IFE, you are saying that 50 or so people get to use extra space that doesn't exist because they chose their seat poorly? That is only for bulkhead seats. So, you will have to give the FA one of your two bags, because that bag MUST be securely stowed UNDER THE SEAT for takeoff and landing. Good luck.

Two of my pet peeves on a flight - one who feels the need to shove the setback all the way back at full force and leave it there the entire flight so I get to eat dinner with my tray shoved up against my body and those who feel entitled to put a carryon and their "personal" bag up in the overhead...

Wowza. Relax. I didn't say anything about two bags, bloated or not.

So

When choosing a seat, how does one know, beforehand, that there's an issue with a utility box?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can't always know about IFE, but SeatGuru often has that information.

Nail on the head ;)

And, if only bringing one bag on board, why would you want to keep that big thing in your seat space? If you take the aisle, you have easy access up top to that bag. BUT, I have been in cabin situations where FAs come through and remove underseat-sized bags and ask the passenger to stow underseat so they may put up full-size carryons.