Ladies, what Size purse to carry onboard and excursions

Anubhavi

Not a lady.

Don't carry a purse.

HOWEVER, I bought my wife this one and it's the only one she uses on trips. Land or cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Signature-Hobo-Black/dp/B00ICD5XD6/

The Travel-On Hobo

I own one of these, same brand and size, different style and i love it. They carry much more than you'd think, especially if you utilize the pockets etc correctly and are not large/bulky to carry around. Definitely worth the investment. You could even go over the top with protective features if you wanted, knife proof material and strap, zipper locks. Mine doesnt have an official lock on it but i figured out how to make it enough of a fiddle that i would notice someone trying to pick pocket the main pouch well before they would get inside it. I do have a tiny wallet on a strap thats just big enough for iphone 5s, id/cards, chapstick, tissues and inhaler that i plan to wear around while on the ship.

I take my regular bag on board and store it and never really think of it again until the cruise is over. I take a large beach bag on excursions for sun screen, souvenirs, etc. I give my husband my sea pass to keep in his wallet and I don't carry any money or cards. I bought a pretty little wristlet for my first cruise and never carried it even once. I wouldn't be caught dead in a fanny pack but that's just me. My teen daughter thinks they're cute.

Onboard: normally just toss the keycard in my shorts pocket.

If spending time around the pool for a few hours with book, Nano, sunblock, tissues, etc., or for shore excursions I use a cinch-sac, like the below, which I have in assorted prints / colours.

s-l200.jpg

As another poster stated, on the ship I just put my sea pass on a lanyard. Love the freedom of not having to carry a purse. I do have a beach bag made out of rip stop nylon that I use for pool/beach gear; it is light as a feather and easy to pack. For travel to/from the cruise and excursions at port, I use a leather backpack stype purse (or perhaps you can call it a purse style backpack). Allows me to carry wallet, cap, sunscreen, bottle of water, etc., all hands free.

I bought two Kipling bags for cruise. One of my husband to use a backpack to carry water bottle and light jacket, hat, etc. for excursions. I got myself a pink bag to carry on ship. The Kliping bags are so light and have many pockets.

c2b39350bb16c243bcb4515d83cf32a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a small criss body bag for on board. We have a newly potty trained toddler so I like to stick a pull up or extra clothes in there. Plus my book or kindle, keycard, chapstick, fun times etc. Off the ship we'll have a bigger beach bag/satchel. Change of clothes, sunblock, wallet, first aid stuff etc. I like to be prepared!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Actually, fanny packs are starting to make a comeback...lol. Nevertheless, I have a crossbody leather purse that I use and works very well.

I live in New York and my dd-22 told me just the other day that her friend ordered a fanny pack for their beach trip this weekend. I gasped lol

My dd told me, like you, they are most certainly making a come back. Go figure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same Coach bag and use it on the ship. Big enough for my glasses and small things. I also have a cross body Bagellini that I take on shore and it's so easy to carry, very light. It holds my glasses and any things I need like lipstick or any makeup I might need. I think I got it on e-bags. I think it was like $40 or something like that.

I have and use this same Coach bag too onboard, although mine is a different color. It fits my iPhone 6+ with a case, lipstick and a small hairspray. Its perfect for the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another Kipling fan here although my light weight Kipling bag is cross body and a different format. I don't like things hanging from my wrist or around my neck. I don't like reaching into my bra for Sea Passes or money either.

I need to carry sunglasses or prescription glasses because I have to wear one or the other always. I also carry a small comb because my fine hair is so often a mess on cruise ships. I carry my cell phone too and some lipstick and heartburn pills, some cash, plus packets of my favorite tea. I could never manage with just a lanyard or a wallet.

Off the ship I carry that same purse, unless we are going to a beach, then the purse goes into a tote bag along with a hat and sun screen.

I also carry a wristlet but if it's a "beach bag" type excursion, I just put the wristlet in the beach bag.

Same. I bring 2 wristlets - 1 tan and 1 black - that can hold phone, cash for tips, room key, and lipstick. When going ashore, I just pop it in my beach bag. My only exception is boarding and debarkation days on longer cruises. Then I have my wristlet in a larger, nicer shoulder bag that holds everything I need for my flights to/from the ship and acts as my carry-on.

hi,

this is my 1st cruise. I normally carry a big hand bag like a satchel. But I don't want to be lugging a big purse on board.

I have fanny packs but I guess it's not the trend now.

Can the ladies advice me on what size purse to carry on board and on port days ?

Thank you in advance.

Good morning,

By now you have had many great suggestions on a purse/bag for onboard and off.

I am a big advocate of the crossbody bags. In fact, that is the only type that I take no matter what kind of trip I am on. While on the ship, I carry a very small purse that will hold my phone in a mophie case, my seapass card, some cash and a small piece of identification. If you happen to misplace your seapass card, you will be asked for ID in order to get a new one (same goes for hotels). At night, I am mostly in black so I carry a slightly larger crossbody Tumi, nylon, purse that holds all of the above, as well as a small camera (iphones are fine for taking genera pictures but I take pictures during shows and iphone cameras just can't do the job). The strap is adjustable so it can go from crossbody to shoulder bag and it packs very easily. Off the ship, once again I am with a crossbody and I have several that I use depending on the time of year. I also have a Tumi that is similar to the size of the bag that Birdylady posted a link for. It is large enough to hold everything I need and a bottle of water. My other favorite bags are by MZ Wallace. Many of their bags come with several different straps; crossbody which are adjustable, shoulder & sachel handles. I often use them for my purses at home.

No matter what you carry, make sure it is something that you like. If all else fails, there is always time to shop on the ship.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the ship, I use a smaller Michael Kors crossbody bag. It's big enough to hold my S&S card, phone, lipstick, gum, etc.

In port, I use a drawstring backpack. It's not fancy or cute, but I like knowing that no one can get into it without me knowing. No pickpockets!

Thank you all. You all have given me different great ideas and I am going to figure out which one will work for me.

So I am taking a lanyard ( I wear this for work ), a small wallet with an ID window, a mini cross body, a medium size nylon tote bag, a medium sized fabric tote bag, the coiled thing with a key ring and a back pack for my husband.

I have several dooney wristlets but not taking those as I want my hands free. I wear braces in both my hands and the Velcro on the braces snag everything.

Upon my return I will let you know what worked for me.

Thank you all so much.

Onboard, just my phone (carries the room key, 1 credit card, and my driver's license) so no purse. At excursions just a crossbody bag. It's the purse version of the fanny pack. I miss fanny packs and actually just bought one on Ebay LOL.

Thank you, CatsinShow. I don't have a nylon crossbody, so I bought a travel on anti theft cross body on QVC as they are having a free shipping today. I plan to carry that on the ship as well as on the port.

Like I said before, I have set aside lanyards and retractable ID badge clips, small wallets with ID window, etc to see which one works best for me.

What you carry off the ship depends where you are going and what you want to do. Rome or most any port in Europe? One of those cross body bags or e-vests/jackets (pickpockets). The beach? You need to bring towels, lotions, and such. There isn't one answer.

On the ship I often don't use a bag.. If I do I have a small cross body bag that I use; also use it ashore. At night I have a small silver wristlet I use, since the cross body bag is very casual looking.

I've had this cross body bag for many years and use it only for traveling because it is discontinued and no other bag fits me so comfortably or is just the right size. It could be used as a 'fanny pack', but I don't.

On the ship I often don't use a bag.. If I do I have a small cross body bag that I use; also use it ashore. At night I have a small silver wristlet I use, since the cross body bag is very casual looking.

I've had this cross body bag for many years and use it only for traveling because it is discontinued and no other bag fits me so comfortably or is just the right size. It could be used as a 'fanny pack', but I don't.

I use a small crossbody on the ship. It's just large enough to carry my phone & my small camera. Off the ship I also use a crossbody but larger as I want one that I can carry an umbrella, a bottle of water and my larger camera if it is raining, along with anything else I might need while touring. I tried the backpack route but it was a pain as every time I wanted something, I had to take it off.

The photos are what I used on the ship. The black will hold my small camera and I found it on Amazon. The bone holds basically my phone, ID, & some cash. I actually book several of that one in different colors on the ship during one of their many sales.

I don't want to have to hold on to something or have anything hanging from my wrists so I always use a crossbody.

Patti

08388aaa79ad96601f946cd56f405ec8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On board I don't carry a purse, but wear a lanyard with my key-card. When off the ship, I have a small cross-body, by LeSport Sac, which can carry my wallet, phone, and comb.

If I'm going to the beach, I have a tote bag with a zipper top in which I bring all sorts of things.

Most of the time I carry no purse around the ship. All my shorts and cover-ups have pockets, so I can carry my ship ID, and that's really all I need.

I do bring a small clutch purse, which I take to dinner.

I do bring small tote, which is useful for the variety of items I bring to the pool or to a beach excursion: Sunscreen, chapstick, reading materials, sunglasses. This doubles as my first-day carry on. My husband always brings a day pack as his first-day carry on. If we're doing an island stop, we bring either my tote OR his day pack, depending upon which seems most appropriate.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first cruise a friend of a friend passed on a convertible bag to me. Can be a fairly smallish cross body just big enough to hold my phone and a little cash plus has a place to put a few cards. Undone it comfortably additionally holds two tightly rolled up towels from the ship, two bottles of water, and a bottle of sunscreen. Only complaint the straps could be a little wider. I've looked on Amazon and not found quite the style of this bag but there are some similar-ish.