New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I did change the name on my iPhone icon to 'Ship Text' so it would be shorter. Your iPhone may have done the same. In any event enjoy your cruise and the app. Remember that both phones have to be in for the app to work. It can be a bit challenging to set up on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did set it up on my wife's iPhone also. I am very computer/iPhone literate, so I am interested in what will be challenging? From what I have read, I don't need to have the ship wifi on, is there something else we will need to do? I appreciate all the help you can provide, since I am quite excited about using this app.

The challenge is that there is a dynamic allocation of addresses, so you may see those chafe from time to time. Just check periodically (not every hour) that you can send and receive messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is NO cost!! We use the free sites on the ship ALL THE TIME and never purchase HAL's internet time. That being said I carry a portable WIFI device that works all over the world (www.glocalme.com).

So there is free Wifi on the ship, in certain places? We are sailing on the Eurodam next weekend. This is my second cruise on HAL but the first one was 7 years ago and it was so expensive to use the internet onboard back then that I just found an internet cafe in Aruba and used it to check email. But I'd love to be able to upload pictures daily, in case something were to happen to our phones or camera.

So there is free Wifi on the ship, in certain places? We are sailing on the Eurodam next weekend. This is my second cruise on HAL but the first one was 7 years ago and it was so expensive to use the internet onboard back then that I just found an internet cafe in Aruba and used it to check email. But I'd love to be able to upload pictures daily, in case something were to happen to our phones or camera.

Connection to the internet is still the same price as it was 7 years ago, with some exceptions here and there. There is NO free internet. You can connect to the ships wifi signal to use local services, such as the new online planner, check your account, make dining reservations and so forth. In addition, there are apps for smart phones that will communicate over a local network such as the ship provides.

Wi-Fi on the ship is free; Internet is not. The app uses something akin to intranet (as I understand it), and that is also free.

The free WIFI on Hal will NOT let you access the internet to check mail. It is restricted to checking the New York Times and the HAL website and a few other things. To access anything else with requiring access to the internet requires paying for it. And it is far too expensive for my taste.

Changing gears here...quick laundry question.

I know you can do the stuff a bag laundry thing or have your laundry done, but does anyone know if the staff follow the clothing tag washing directions (ie wash in cold only, line dry)?

Or is it all dumped into one big vat and washed and dried? It seems like so many of my clothes these days are line dry only...

When I sent out laundry, on the laundry tag you fill out, I would put low dry, hang dry, etc. It came back fine. I did notice my clothes were 'gray' sort of. I've not seen any recent discussions concerning this, so perhaps it was an issue that has been resolved.

Very interesting.

If possible, I would love to contact directly to ask more info about this. We are from Australianabd we are regular overseas travellers.

We have used various internet options over the years, some very good and some not so. This looks quite good. We are doing a 34 day cruise next year on the Prinsendam to the arctic, Iceland and Baltic.

There is NO cost!! We use the free sites on the ship ALL THE TIME and never purchase HAL's internet time. That being said I carry a portable WIFI device that works all over the world (www.glocalme.com).

Very interesting.

If possible, I would love to contact directly to ask more info about this. We are from Australianabd we are regular overseas travellers.

We have used various internet options over the years, some very good and some not so. This looks quite good. We are doing a 34 day cruise next year on the Prinsendam to the arctic, Iceland and Baltic.

Email me at tk.bowman at Comcast dot net. Don't forget the period in my name.

We love traveling to Australia and just hosted a couple from Tasmania on a five week road trip in the Pacific Northwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding laundry on the HAL ships. The best bargain on the seas. A bag of laundry tor $20.00 and all comes back very clean. Shirts on hangers pressed, underwear in tissue paper folded. Best deal in the world. Was on the Volendam for a month then on the QM2 for six weeks and laundry was the scene of much disarray. 4 different people put off the ship for doing bad things in the laundry room. One lady put a Mars bar in another ladies dryer just to be mean. She was off the ship at the next port.

Regarding laundry on the HAL ships. The best bargain on the seas. A bag of laundry tor $20.00 and all comes back very clean. Shirts on hangers pressed, underwear in tissue paper folded. Best deal in the world. Was on the Volendam for a month then on the QM2 for six weeks and laundry was the scene of much disarray. 4 different people put off the ship for doing bad things in the laundry room. One lady put a Mars bar in another ladies dryer just to be mean. She was off the ship at the next port.

That is shockingly immature, not to mention mean. :mad:

We will be on our second HAL cruise in December. We have a SB suite booked on the Veendam. Is there any difference between it and a SA suite? I did research and find conflicting information. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

We are on the same cruise and also have an SB guarantee booked. There are only two SBs on the Veendam so unless there is no one else booked in one, someone will be upgraded to an SA.

It doesn't bother me too much as the suites are the same and the two SBs are under the beauty salon so should be fairly quiet.

We are on the same cruise and also have an SB guarantee booked. There are only two SBs on the Veendam so unless there is no one else booked in one, someone will be upgraded to an SA.

It doesn't bother me too much as the suites are the same and the two SBs are under the beauty salon so should be fairly quiet.

Thanks for the quick response. I think we will have a great cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Ice cream, to include soft-serve, is available at the Dessert Station in the Lido Restaurant without charge. In addition regular ice cream (vanilla and chocolate) is available with often a special flavor(s) each day. Numerous sundae toppings are also available.

Here is the HAL Explorations Specialty Coffee Menu to give you an idea of prices:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Explorations-Cafe.pdf

Does the ice cream station have sugar free or no sugar added ice cream offerings?

Does the Maasdam have mini-bars in inside cabins. Tried a search and can't find any info since her last reburb (2016?).

No, it doesn't. None of the S & R class ships do to the best of my knowledge.

You can rent a cooler/fridge for $2 a day if you like. Suggest you arrange in advance as there are a limited number.

You can rent a cooler/fridge for $2 a day if you like. Suggest you arrange in advance as there are a limited number.

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I thought, but hoped maybe they put them in during her latest refurb.

Kazu, the Vista class ships have them, right?