Cellar Master Dinner & Master Chef Table are gone and have been replace by De Librije

kazu

On our last cruise we were told that there was no Cellar Master Dinner or Master Chef Table as it was being "reviewed" by Seattle. Those that were following my live thread probably will recall this.

So, after we were home and things have settled down a bit I decided to email HAL and ask what the result of the "review" was.

According to the email they sent to me, they are no longer being offered (neither the Master Chef's Table nor the Cellar Master Dinner) - they are replaced by a Taste of De Librije (which we did not have on our cruise).

And, for those that book suites, there are no more suite luncheons.

Here is the email (which was signed by Daphney at the office of the president) with the key info and the gobbledy gook eliminated.

" July 26, 2017

Dear

Thank you for contacting us regarding your ms Rotterdam sailing.

Please be advised the following information as you requested:

-We are no longer offering the suite luncheon; however a suite welcome is offered during the first part of a cruise.

-The Cellar Master dinner and Master Chef Table has been replaced by “A Taste of De Librije”.

Please understand that our cruisers have a wide range of interests and abilities and we do strive to offer something for everyone; including making changes from time to time to provide a variety of offerings. "

Perhaps the attendance to these events were lower than what Hal expected. I am sure no doubt there are those that thoroughly enjoyed them, but not enough for Hal's satisfaction. Just my opinion.

Perhaps the attendance to these events were lower than what Hal expected. I am sure no doubt there are those that thoroughly enjoyed them, but not enough for Hal's satisfaction. Just my opinion.

I can't answer that - only the ones I have gone to.

In all of those, they were full. In fact, the cellar master put another dinner on the Westerdam because of demand ;)

I do know that if sufficient interest wasn't there, they weren't held.

If my understanding is correct, Le Cirque is going and De Librije will be the replacement, so, if my understanding is correct, nothing really replaces these very nice dinners that have been lost.

They are both very different than the other special dinners in the Pinnacle Grill.

I know we will miss them. Save money on board, for sure, but we will miss them.

As Kazu previously mentioned, we have been to some very successful Cellar Master Dinners. On our Westerdam cruise to South Pacific, we had TWO Cellar Master Dinners and both were completely sold out. By sold out, I do not mean a special reserved table tucked away somewhere but the entire Pinnacle Grill. They do not ever sell out the Pinnacle Grill completely on regular nights so those two nights were very profitable for HAL.

Those special dinners will be sadly missed.

:loudcry:

Thanks - checked your link.

I guess you can't even trust the office of the president then unless these were prearranged. They are special events. Only on a few cruise

I was referring to the "normal" ones. But in any case, I'm glad someone can enjoy them.

they were nice evenings for us.

Edited by kazu

You're correct Kazu, these are "special" event Master Cellar dinners because of the Blend. When I called and asked about a Master Chef dinner my PCC said "that it is up to the ship". He had called the Koningsdam Ship Services and they replied that a Master Chef dinner may occur on cruises over 17 days. Doesn't sound to positive to me :(

You're correct Kazu, these are "special" event Master Cellar dinners because of the Blend. When I called and asked about a Master Chef dinner my PCC said "that it is up to the ship". He had called the Koningsdam Ship Services and they replied that a Master Chef dinner may occur on cruises over 17 days. Doesn't sound to positive to me :(

Our Rotterdam cruise was 30 days - neither dinner was offered as I was told it was "under review".

Why I asked HAL and posted their reply.

Rotterdam is a flagship and the service on board was very good so my instincts said "something is up".

I will just hope that the P'dam (which often breaks the mold) does one next year, but I fear that these special evenings are going the way of the dodo bird and just wanted to let fellow cruisers know what I was told.

I am bummed about the suite lunch going away. First they got rid of it on 7 day sailings. Now it's just gone. Other cruise lines are upping the ante for their suite guests. Apparently HAL has decided to go in the other direction.

Do you think these will be replaced by something that might appeal to that "broader" demographic that HAL seems to be chasing? However, if they are that popular, you would think they would be attractive for the bottom line.

I can tell you for a fact that the Cellar Master Dinner isn't gone on the Prinsendam. And I have the headache to prove it. Ha! I am currently on the Prinsendam and we had the dinner last night. It was wonderful. The wines were excellent as was the food. They were very generous with their pours as well, hence my headache this morning. All well, I've got chill Icelandic air to heal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you for a fact that the Cellar Master Dinner isn't gone on the Prinsendam. And I have the headache to prove it. Ha! I am currently on the Prinsendam and we had the dinner last night. It was wonderful. The wines were excellent as was the food. They were very generous with their pours as well, hence my headache this morning. All well, I've got chill Icelandic air to heal!!

Yay! P'dam often breaks the mold. Fingers crossed for next year. I really like those dinners, too.

I am bummed about the suite lunch going away. First they got rid of it on 7 day sailings. Now it's just gone. Other cruise lines are upping the ante for their suite guests. Apparently HAL has decided to go in the other direction.

I was very surprised there was none on our 30 day cruise too, POA. Why I asked the question. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Based on the reduction in the number of SS and NS on Koningsdam I'd be inclined to think that HAL was moving more toward a "Ryanair" model- lots more smaller staterooms and pay for all extras. Then I see the much larger per diem for suites on Koningsdam and am now totally confused. A lot ok Koningsdam suite rates are about the same as other lines that include dining, beverages, and a butler. Oh well, we did get a coffee maker in the suites.

Our dinner the other night was sold out. Of course, the Pinnacle on the Prinsendam is smaller.

Hope you are enjoying the Prinsendam, Sherita :)

enjoying your blog - sounds like a wonderful cruise :)