Times are a changing

OP remember that Oceania throws very generous offers with booking, so you may come out close to even. Also, you will end up on a midsize ship (Riveria and Marina are the size of a HAL R class but have guest load of S class). If you wind up on an Oceania R class (Regatta or sisters), you have less than 700 guests on board.

We know. The three 2018 cruises we booked when they first came out and came with some pretty good deals along with some great perks from our TA. In fact when we found out about the Baltic/Iceland/Greenland cruise, we immediately canceled our Voyage of the Vikings cruise to book it. Besides the price per day being cheaper than the HAL cruise for the room we wanted, the itinerary was more in tune to what we were looking for and the FOOD is much better! I'm not saying the food isn't good on HAL ships, but just not as good.

As far as things to do on Oceania cruises, we really don't need much catering to. We like playing putt-putt golf, ping pong and paddle ball and going to their lectures as well as the art and culinary classes on the larger Riviera or Marina ships. But we have to admit the food quality is way better on the O ships and with their new ships, they're longer itineraries are getting much more diverse.

Yes, the times are a changing. But don't think twice, it's alright. Personally, I don't depend on or expect the ship to entertain me all the time. I think there are enough organized activities for passengers as it is on any cruise line. But there's also plenty that I can do to occupy myself without needing to join the organized silliness. There's reading, photography, listening to the music that's throughout the ship, board games with companions, plain ole conversation with other guests, swimming, napping by the pool (after all, I'm also there for r & r), drop-in pingpong or shuffleboard. And with any spare time left, I can eat myself silly!

Yes, the times are a changing. But don't think twice, it's alright. Personally, I don't depend on or expect the ship to entertain me all the time. I think there are enough organized activities for passengers as it is on any cruise line. But there's also plenty that I can do to occupy myself without needing to join the organized silliness. There's reading, photography, listening to the music that's throughout the ship, board games with companions, plain ole conversation with other guests, swimming, napping by the pool (after all, I'm also there for r & r), drop-in pingpong or shuffleboard. And with any spare time left, I can eat myself silly!

The activity I love most on sea days is to find a quiet area on the ship with my wife, curl up and read a good book. And we love a great lecture. But I wouldn't denigrate what you call "organized silliness." On our transpacific cruise in May across the Bering Sea, with 7 sea days in a row, that "organized silliness" was a fun, entertaining way to occasionally pass the time. Of course it's a little silly, but for heaven's sake you're on vacation! You might actually enjoy it. It might even give you more opportunities to interact and converse with other guests.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh dear !

I think you meant to say "Pshaw !" Can't for the life of me find "Pfah" One hopes this is helpful in your further communications !

I rarely find myself agreeing with bUU - but the response was spot on: the tripe referred to: "internalize" a menu so as to be able to "operationalize" it is so abject that to say "pshaw" in that context would depreciate the word's value.

Let's hear it for "Pfah"!

The activity I love most on sea days is to find a quiet area on the ship with my wife, curl up and read a good book. And we love a great lecture. But I wouldn't denigrate what you call "organized silliness." On our transpacific cruise in May across the Bering Sea, with 7 sea days in a row, that "organized silliness" was a fun, entertaining way to occasionally pass the time. Of course it's a little silly, but for heaven's sake you're on vacation! You might actually enjoy it. It might even give you more opportunities to interact and converse with other guests.

Haha, ok, I should qualify that I don't think of all organized activities as 'silly'. There are plenty that I do enjoy taking part in... like bingo, choir, ping pong tournaments. I was referring specifically to the literally silly ones like those tired old marriage games, battle of the sexes, pool games, and others. Not for me, but I realize that others may like them.

One problem I have with the more luxurious cruises is that they are usually all inclusive. I like a glass of wine at night, two at the most. My husband only drinks wine occasionally, so being all inclusive is a waste for us. Does Oceania do all inclusive? Also, we were on a smaller ship--about seven hundred passengers five years ago, and felt a lack of space compared to HAL's. We've been on the Rotterdam and Statendam as well as the larger ships.

We agree with you, Dunlum, my DW doesn't drink and a glass of wine for me at dinner time is just fine. So paying all that extra money for free booze doesn't work for us either. Neither Oceania nor Crystal from our experience were all inclusive, especially Oceania, when it comes to drinks. On Crystal they provide wine with your lunch and dinner, if you so desire, and on Oceania you pay for all of your spirits; however, bottled water is free on both lines if I remember correctly.

What we find most relaxing on O ships is the lack of children. Don't get me wrong, we like kids, but when we're on a cruise we like to think we're the kids, especially since we're only in our mid 60s. So when we want to play a round of putt-putt, paddle tennis or ping pong (or croquet or go to art classes on either the Riviera or Marina), it's nice not having to compete with families trying to keep their children entertained on sea days. Most of the time we just head up top, choose our weapons and start playing or go to the art gallery for an art lesson.

In addition we also like not having to go to the evening show at least 45 minutes early to get a good seat as we have had to regularly on a HAL cruise, especially if we want to go to the early show. However, because that's just the way it is on a HAL cruise, we just bring a deck of cards to keep ourselves entertained during that time and play gin until it's showtime.

Like I said times are a changing, but I guess so are we and Oceania and Crystal, when the price is right, seem to be catching our eye, especially when it comes to their longer cruises.

One problem I have with the more luxurious cruises is that they are usually all inclusive. I like a glass of wine at night, two at the most. My husband only drinks wine occasionally, so being all inclusive is a waste for us. Does Oceania do all inclusive? Also, we were on a smaller ship--about seven hundred passengers five years ago, and felt a lack of space compared to HAL's. We've been on the Rotterdam and Statendam as well as the larger ships.

No O is NOT all inclusive. Drink prices are higher than HAL's. Culinary classes 3 x the price and what I would equivocate the Master Chef table too was 2x the price.

A beautiful ship for sure, would love to see it with a blue hull but the staff let us down big time along with the food.

You pay for everything on O just as you do on HAL. They usually have deals though for free grats (which is much higher than HAL) as well as internet.

specialty restaurants are free.

hope this helps a bit.

We know. The three 2018 cruises we booked when they first came out and came with some pretty good deals along with some great perks from our TA. In fact when we found out about the Baltic/Iceland/Greenland cruise, we immediately canceled our Voyage of the Vikings cruise to book it. Besides the price per day being cheaper than the HAL cruise for the room we wanted, the itinerary was more in tune to what we were looking for and the FOOD is much better! I'm not saying the food isn't good on HAL ships, but just not as good.

As far as things to do on Oceania cruises, we really don't need much catering to. We like playing putt-putt golf, ping pong and paddle ball and going to their lectures as well as the art and culinary classes on the larger Riviera or Marina ships. But we have to admit the food quality is way better on the O ships and with their new ships, they're longer itineraries are getting much more diverse.

Now, I'm confused. One of your complaints on the cruise was that HAL didn't offer Karoke, but O doesn't need to?

HAL offers everything you listed and frankly, (and I know I probably lucked into a bad cruise), I found our culinary class on HAL much better and more fun than O's very expensive culinary class when they expected to eat the food everyone prepared with Noro present.

Oceania gives you the ability to include air, internet, and one of the following: cabin credit, excursions, or beer and wine at mealtimes. Or you can do no air, or no inclusions at ALL and save a bit. They really do let you book your way.

No O is NOT all inclusive. Drink prices are higher than HAL's. Culinary classes 3 x the price and what I would equivocate the Master Chef table too was 2x the price.

A beautiful ship for sure, would love to see it with a blue hull but the staff let us down big time along with the food.

You pay for everything on O just as you do on HAL. They usually have deals though for free grats (which is much higher than HAL) as well as internet.

specialty restaurants are free.

hope this helps a bit.

Personally I'm finding the food to be better than HAL, and not by a small margin either. The service is also substantially better. DW also agrees with me on both these points. This to the point that DW and I just booked another O cruise while on board. We will have 2 O cruises next year. We may cancel the HAL Nieuw A cruise and switch it for the 10 day Regatta sailing. To each their own though.

Personally I'm finding the food to be better than HAL, and not by a small margin either. The service is also substantially better. DW also agrees with me on both these points. This to the point that DW and I just booked another O cruise while on board. We will have 2 O cruises next year. We may cancel the HAL Nieuw A cruise and switch it for the 10 day Regatta sailing. To each their own though.

I am very happy to hear this for the sake of the cruise you are on.

I was on Riviera and have to say, it was the only time I wanted to get off a cruise ship early.

the food was probably good if it was served warm, but when it sits under heat lamps it's not too tasty. Lobster in the Terrace Grill is rubber IMO. Better to offer something else. But, I'm a Maritimer. ;)

Jacques was exceptional however.

I did a live thread at the time (and was very kind in all honesty) and reviews on the CC board will show we were not alone.

So I am happy to hear that O is up to snuff but we won't risk it again. Especially after how we were answered when we sent a documented letter on our issues.

Glad it is great for you and hope you enjoy the rest.

Have a great time. And, secretly, I wish we had had your experience ;).

To put it bluntly, other than Jacques, the P'dam would have done a better job. If you had a great waiter I think it would have been better. If you lucked into the uncaring ones, it wasn't. We had the latter.

Personally I'm finding the food to be better than HAL, and not by a small margin either. The service is also substantially better. DW also agrees with me on both these points.

As do I.

Other than my cabin steward (who was both fabulous and Indonesian), the service on Oceania was terrible. It was hard enough to get someone to take one drink order, and never saw anyone who would take a second. Dining room service had nothing on HAL. I never got any assistance in their Lido, even though I was using a cane.

Food in the dining room was merely all right. Their interpretation of an American Thanksgiving dinner was laughable. Jacques was outstanding, as was Privée (although for $250 for up to 10 people, it should be).

As do I.

Other than my cabin steward (who was both fabulous and Indonesian), the service on Oceania was terrible. It was hard enough to get someone to take one drink order, and never saw anyone who would take a second. Dining room service had nothing on HAL. I never got any assistance in their Lido, even though I was using a cane.

Food in the dining room was merely all right. Their interpretation of an American Thanksgiving dinner was laughable. Jacques was outstanding, as was Privée (although for $250 for up to 10 people, it should be).

Ruth I was saying I feel the service on O seems to be a huge improvement than what HAL offers. I do remember that you didn't enjoy your Oceania experience though.

We haven't had that issue at all. We have servers come around 3x and make sure we are all set in the MDR. In the lido, 2x seems to be the norm. Our cabin steward is getting a chuckle out of DW and I, as we are among the younger set on the ship, so she's having fun with us too.

I am very happy to hear this for the sake of the cruise you are on.

I was on Riviera and have to say, it was the only time I wanted to get off a cruise ship early.

the food was probably good if it was served warm, but when it sits under heat lamps it's not too tasty. Lobster in the Terrace Grill is rubber IMO. Better to offer something else. But, I'm a Maritimer. ;)

Jacques was exceptional however.

I did a live thread at the time (and was very kind in all honesty) and reviews on the CC board will show we were not alone.

So I am happy to hear that O is up to snuff but we won't risk it again. Especially after how we were answered when we sent a documented letter on our issues.

Glad it is great for you and hope you enjoy the rest.

Have a great time. And, secretly, I wish we had had your experience ;).

To put it bluntly, other than Jacques, the P'dam would have done a better job. If you had a great waiter I think it would have been better. If you lucked into the uncaring ones, it wasn't. We had the latter.

Honestly I don't blame you and Ruth for not wanting to venture back on [emoji23]. But yes, we have been VERY pleased! DW eats lobster, and she said it was good. That isn't for me though ;). I'll take the fillet, which was one of the tastiest I have had.

Now, I'm confused. One of your complaints on the cruise was that HAL didn't offer Karoke, but O doesn't need to?

HAL offers everything you listed and frankly, (and I know I probably lucked into a bad cruise), I found our culinary class on HAL much better and more fun than O's very expensive culinary class when they expected to eat the food everyone prepared with Noro present.

My point regarding the karaoke was more to the fact that the cruise director on our current cruise said HAL now wants their passengers to start focusing more on things to do in port rather than while they are on the ship. Sounds kind of strange, but that's what he told her. As far as karaoke goes, my DW and I are way past wanting to go to a bar setting let alone karaoke. We're on a family cruise right now, so we're more interested in making sure our daughters and their families are happy rather than focusing on us.

As far as other HAL offerings, I don't remember any of the 6 HAL ships we've been on having an 18 hole putt-putt course or driving net or a croquet area. I think the Maasdam and the Amsterdam have tennis courts which we had no problems using. I can't remember any HAL ship except for the Kdam that had hands-on culinary classes of which we did participate the two times we sailed on her. The Kdam price was also definitely cheaper than on the Riviera. But as far as art classes go, I don't remember any being offered on any of the HAL ships we've been on.

Now as far as norovirus experiences go on the Riviera, I hear you. We were on the 14 day cruise in the Caribbean in March 2016 that had 102 passengers infected. On that cruise all the outdoor activities as well as the art and culinary classes were shut down the last 12 days of the cruise which really stunk, but it had to be done to keep the noro from spreading further. Yes, the quality of the cruise was definitely impacted and the subsequent limited corporate response after the cruise left a bad impression in our minds for about a year following the cruise. But luckily we had cruised on the Riviera the previous year about the same time and had a wonderful cruise and those memories kept coming back and after about a year of saying "never again" we finally decided to give them another chance and booked a couple of their new intense Cuban cruises on the new Serena.

Hopefully all goes well and we have a great O cruise and are finally able to put the noro cruise completely behind us. We're not saying we're not going to cruise on HAL ever again, but they are not our go-to cruise line anymore due to the direction of the changes we keep experiencing.

My point regarding the karaoke was more to the fact that the cruise director on our current cruise said HAL now wants their passengers to start focusing more on things to do in port rather than while they are on the ship. Sounds kind of strange, but that's what he told her. As far as karaoke goes, my DW and I are way past wanting to go to a bar setting let alone karaoke. We're on a family cruise right now, so we're more interested in making sure our daughters and their families are happy rather than focusing on us.

As far as other HAL offerings, I don't remember any of the 6 HAL ships we've been on having an 18 hole putt-putt course or driving net or a croquet area. I think the Maasdam and the Amsterdam have tennis courts which we had no problems using. I can't remember any HAL ship except for the Kdam that had hands-on culinary classes of which we did participate the two times we sailed on her. The Kdam price was also definitely cheaper than on the Riviera. But as far as art classes go, I don't remember any being offered on any of the HAL ships we've been on.

Now as far as norovirus experiences go on the Riviera, I hear you. We were on the 14 day cruise in the Caribbean in March 2016 that had 102 passengers infected. On that cruise all the outdoor activities as well as the art and culinary classes were shut down the last 12 days of the cruise which really stunk, but it had to be done to keep the noro from spreading further. Yes, the quality of the cruise was definitely impacted and the subsequent limited corporate response after the cruise left a bad impression in our minds for about a year following the cruise. But luckily we had cruised on the Riviera the previous year about the same time and had a wonderful cruise and those memories kept coming back and after about a year of saying "never again" we finally decided to give them another chance and booked a couple of their new intense Cuban cruises on the new Serena.

Hopefully all goes well and we have a great O cruise and are finally able to put the noro cruise completely behind us. We're not saying we're not going to cruise on HAL ever again, but they are not our go-to cruise line anymore due to the direction of the changes we keep experiencing.

There have been on hands cooking clases on our of my HAL cruises. They usually aren't advertised as they fill up so quickly ;)

Your O Noro experience was different than mine. The only thing they closed was the laundry. Salt and pepper, condiments, etc. Were all out to be touched by everyone, etc. completely different from what I have seen on a HAL ship with Noro.

I truly hope your future cruises on O are wonderful :)

I rarely find myself agreeing with bUU - but the response was spot on: the tripe referred to: "internalize" a menu so as to be able to "operationalize" it is so abject that to say "pshaw" in that context would depreciate the word's value.

Let's hear it for "Pfah"!

According to Marquis of Raspberry Rules , It is impossible to "internalize " a non word and it can never be "operationalized" Being "Pfah" is not a word, it is a flagrant foul of Rule 2, Paragraph 3.. If bUU gets away with this, will he start using @#$%# words. Graciously, I will not call him on the above Rule and give bUU the benefit of doubt that bUU was trying to emit a "Raspberry" which should have been " Bluutt"

I think that it is more than possible, actually probable if one cruises often, to have as bad a cruise on any line, including HAL, as you had on O. It happens.

We like Celebrity, one of our favourite.s Always had a sterling cruise. But we do not have blinders on. We have absolutely no doubt that it is very possible to have a terrible cruise on Celebrity. And it certainly is on HAL and Princess.

I suspect the chances of having a less than favourable cruise are actually increasing across all lines as cruise lines cut back, try new approaches, and yes....keep sailing older ships without doing expensive upgrades of deteriorating engineering systems because the planned retirement/sale of the ship.