Changing names.

megsmomma11

I had posted about a week ago that one person in our cabin wasn't going. Well we found someone to go in her place. I had read and heard in more than one place that it was supposed to be a 50$ name change. Well when I called carnival the lady gave me this big lecture about cancelling one out and adding the other one and it would be almost 400$. Sounds a bit much considering it was paid for perviously. Should I call and talk to someone else or just plan on them having to pay that much extra?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what the FAQ on Carnival's web site says:

NAME CHANGES

A name change is the cancellation of one guest and the addition of a new guest on your booking. If the name change is done prior to the final payment date on your booking, you have not booked our Fly2Fun air program and your booking is not under a restricted/non-refundable fare*, then there is no fee to make a name change.

*Restricted and Non-Refundable fares include the following but not limited to these promotions: Early Saver, Early Saver Last Call, Pack & Go, Super Saver, etc.

For cruise only bookings not under a restricted/non-refundable fare* and within penalty period, there is a $50 USD per person service fee charge per name change as long as an original guest remains on the booking. If an original guest does not remain on the booking, this is a full stateroom cancellation and cancellation penalties as well as prevailing rates will apply.

If your booking is under a restricted fare/non-refundable fare*, please check the Terms and Conditions of your specific promotion to see if name changes are permitted. If name changes are not allowed, it will be necessary to remove the original guest and applicable penalties will be assessed. An additional deposit will be required for the new guest.

The following name change guidelines pertain to bookings that include Carnival's Fly2Fun airfare:

• If you have booked Fly2Fun Flexible Air and it is more than 60 days prior to your sail date, there is no fee for a name change.
  • If you have booked Fly2Fun Flexible Air and it is 60 days or less prior to your sail date, there is a $200 USD per person fee for a name change.
  • If you have booked Fly2Fun Restrictive Air, at the time of booking, the air is non-refundable. To make a name change, it will be necessary to purchase a new air ticket.

To make a name change or to find out the exact fees that would be charged on your booking to do the change, please give us a call at 1-800-438-6744 and our Guest Services team will be more than happy to assist. Please note, if you are booked through a travel agency, you will need to contact your travel professional for assistance.

Note: Carnival reserves the right to impose restrictions on name changes based on special circumstances at a sailing level.

Hope this helps.

B

Is the booking under the early saver program? Here is what I found on Carnival's site:

If your booking is under a restricted fare/non-refundable fare*, please check the Terms and Conditions of your specific promotion to see if name changes are permitted. If name changes are not allowed, it will be necessary to remove the original guest and applicable penalties will be assessed. An additional deposit will be required for the new guest.

Otherwise it should be this:

For cruise only bookings not under a restricted/non-refundable fare* and within penalty period, there is a $50 USD per person service fee charge per name change as long as an original guest remains on the booking. If an original guest does not remain on the booking, this is a full stateroom cancellation and cancellation penalties as well as prevailing rates will apply

To make a name change or to find out the exact fees that would be charged on your booking to do the change, please give us a call at 1-800-438-6744 and our Guest Services team will be more than happy to assist. Please note, if you are booked through a travel agency, you will need to contact your travel professional for assistance.

I had posted about a week ago that one person in our cabin wasn't going. Well we found someone to go in her place. I had read and heard in more than one place that it was supposed to be a 50$ name change. Well when I called carnival the lady gave me this big lecture about cancelling one out and adding the other one and it would be almost 400$. Sounds a bit much considering it was paid for perviously. Should I call and talk to someone else or just plan on them having to pay that much extra?

From the position of the lady you spoke with, sounds like you are past the final payment period. You may have to assess which of the prior suggestions apply to your type of booking.

Several people on board have been able to change names for the $50 fee ... Call and talk to someone else and keep trying back til you get someone to do it ... Don't say anything extra just explain you need to change a name and that is it - If they won't do it hang up and call back after a bit

Several people on board have been able to change names for the $50 fee ... Call and talk to someone else and keep trying back til you get someone to do it ... Don't say anything extra just explain you need to change a name and that is it - If they won't do it hang up and call back after a bit

While that is true most of the time, there is a difference here between Early Saver and less restrictive fares. Early Saver doesn't allow name changes. Meaning, you have to completely cancel the person and will incur the appropriate penalties. For example if you are within 2 weeks of the ship sailing, the penalty is 100%. So you have to cancel the person, losing the full amount they paid, and then you have to pay that amount again to re-secure the booking.

So if OP doesn't have early saver, they should call back and get someone who knows what they are talking about. If the OP does have Early Saver, then the Carnival rep was probably right.

While that is true most of the time' date=' there is a difference here between Early Saver and less restrictive fares. Early Saver doesn't allow name changes. Meaning, you have to completely cancel the person and will incur the appropriate penalties. For example if you are within 2 weeks of the ship sailing, the penalty is 100%. So you have to cancel the person, losing the full amount they paid, and then you have to pay that amount again to re-secure the booking.

So if OP doesn't have early saver, they should call back and get someone who knows what they are talking about. If the OP does have Early Saver, then the Carnival rep was probably right.[/quote']

While you are correct others have been able to change their name on ES with just the $50 fee - there was another post on this just recently in which 2 people were able to change names

From the position of the lady you spoke with, sounds like you are past the final payment period. You may have to assess which of the prior suggestions apply to your type of booking.

We've done name changes morning of sailing for $50. NonES.