Netflix on a Cruise

ddlb

Netflix on a Cruise

I like to watch a tv program/movie now and then on a cruise when I need a break from all the festivities or just to unwind before bedtime. I have not been impressed with the TV programs/movies available but do enjoy many of the helpful features Carnival provides via TV.

If you have a Netflix account and an iPad/iPhone or computer with Win 10 you can download (at home) using your wifi some programs that will be available when you cruise (some must be viewed within 48 hours or up to a month). I am also told there is no limit (except for your memory limits) but I think 2 or 3 will suffice for me. You do have to install an app first. You will not be using the internet but you must be signed in to your account. As long as you haven't logged off your account you are good to go. I asked that question.

Has anyone done this? Again - I do this to unwind - believe me I will get my monies worth doing everything I want to on my upcoming cruise!

I just watched a YouTube video, recorded on the Magic this Spring, that included the passengers reviewing they're premium internet service. They relayed that video streaming rarely worked. Fwiw.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Unplug you will enjoy it more. But that is a great suggestion for those who are addicted. My enjoyment is sitting on my balcony rain or shine watching the ocean 24/7. Beats Netflix and day of the week.

:rolleyes: Every internet thread has to have at least one of these posts.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

That's a good idea - pre-download videos to watch on the cruise. I think if you tried to live stream without the prior download it may be a problem. Bandwidth on a cruise ship is limited and expensive. They may even block it, not sure.

I did just that in June of 2017. I was in need of entertainment on a plane from Europe, worked like a charm. Downloaded in Paris and laughed the enter way home watching Kimmy Smitt! I understand that Netflix just started allowing downloads in late May, great timing on my part. I still need to finish ONB, so my pending cruise will be a binge fest, sometime during the 7 days.

I have Amazon Prime and do this for when I am in places where I cannot get wi-fi... like car trips. Just finished the series Suits this way, planning on picking up another series soon. I think there is a limit of number of programs .. 15 or so at a time.

:rolleyes: Every internet thread has to have at least one of these posts.

YES! I'm the OP and I wondered how many posts were going to tell me to uplug in spite of me explaining very thoroughly how much I as going to enjoy my cruise and simply asking if anyone else had tried Netflix on the cruise. That's one of the reasons I didn't even mention I was going to get the Value wifi pkg too but not for streaming! Thanks for responding! On the other hand once I responded to a Cheers thread with "Ask your doctor if the Cheers pkg is right for you" and boy did I get it. What goes around comes around I guess:halo:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Unplug you will enjoy it more. But that is a great suggestion for those who are addicted. My enjoyment is sitting on my balcony rain or shine watching the ocean 24/7. Beats Netflix and day of the week.

You might enjoy it more but others enjoy being able to watch netflix

I much rather sit back and watch a movie I have not been able to see since i been so busy working and going to school and raising a family than sitting on a balcony - I can't stand sitting on a balcony

To the OP I always download a few movies to my ipad to enjoy during my downtime on the boat

• Like 3

but, Netflix actually has a download service, not sure if amazon has the same service. How do you download a movie? and... isn't it illegal?

It's not illegal unless your stealing the movie

For Amazon - If you have the Amazon Prime Video app you are able to download either movies you own or some prime shows will let you download - It only downloads it to the prime video app which is where you would watch it at - its not like you can download it to your computer and burn it to a DVD

The little play button allows you to stream it or you press the down area to download it and then there is a section to watch videos from on the app

20294111_10155559844741730_3760301142963025653_n.jpg?oh=97559b204ec445e0258f195ff2c4a934&oe=5A33F7D2

I wonder which cruise line will be first to have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc streaming on their tvs. Hotels are already doing it.

I would love access to Netflix on a smart tv in my room. I watch TV before I fall asleep, while I'm getting dressed, and sometimes just to relax. I'd love this addition.

Netflix on a Cruise

I like to watch a tv program/movie now and then on a cruise when I need a break from all the festivities or just to unwind before bedtime. I have not been impressed with the TV programs/movies available but do enjoy many of the helpful features Carnival provides via TV.

If you have a Netflix account and an iPad/iPhone or computer with Win 10 you can download (at home) using your wifi some programs that will be available when you cruise (some must be viewed within 48 hours or up to a month). I am also told there is no limit (except for your memory limits) but I think 2 or 3 will suffice for me. You do have to install an app first. You will not be using the internet but you must be signed in to your account. As long as you haven't logged off your account you are good to go. I asked that question.

Has anyone done this? Again - I do this to unwind - believe me I will get my monies worth doing everything I want to on my upcoming cruise!

Yes, I do this all the time either for plane trips or cruises and it works great. Not all movies are available though, usually the older ones are available for download but it's still a good selection. Lots of TV shows as well. Good luck.

I wonder which cruise line will be first to have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc streaming on their tvs. Hotels are already doing it.

Whichever cruise line is the first to tether an 800 mi-cable off the back of the ship.

• Haha 1

Whichever cruise line is the first to tether an 800 mi-cable off the back of the ship.

Royal Caribbean already offers a stream plan that works with Netflix and no need for an 800 mile cable. They actually advertise that you can watch Netflix right on the Voom page. So no need to wait and see who is first, it already exists on the entire Royal fleet.

So yes, OP, you can use Netflix on a ship, and if that's something very important to you - then consider Royal Caribbean.

voom.png