Buffet trays??

When I've seen this done they are offering refills only and did not have ice or cups on the cart to offer first beverage service. Do you know if this has changed? That would be an improvement.

I will speak to my last Carnival cruise on the Sunshine this past May - they always had cups and each of the pitchers had ice in the beverages (I don't think they had separate ice - it was already in the pitchers of drinks). We had them with the cart not only in the buffet area but also down in the ocean view where they were serving BBQ the first day, breakfast everyday and lunch on sea days.

We were up in the buffet and a mother sat her two kids at the table behind us with their food (2 kids probably between 9-12) and told them when she got back with her food, they could go and get drinks. I saw the person with the cart so I sent her over to them to ask them about drinks - so I know she had cups available (they didn't have a drink already).

I think in the past I've seen them go around to do refills (thinking of my past cruises on the Pride) but now I think they've switched to a full cart with cups and all types of free beverages (water, lemonade, tea, coffee, hot tea).

I will speak to my last Carnival cruise on the Sunshine this past May - they always had cups and each of the pitchers had ice in the beverages (I don't think they had separate ice - it was already in the pitchers of drinks). We had them with the cart not only in the buffet area but also down in the ocean view where they were serving BBQ the first day, breakfast everyday and lunch on sea days.

We were up in the buffet and a mother sat her two kids at the table behind us with their food (2 kids probably between 9-12) and told them when she got back with her food, they could go and get drinks. I saw the person with the cart so I sent her over to them to ask them about drinks - so I know she had cups available (they didn't have a drink already).

I think in the past I've seen them go around to do refills (thinking of my past cruises on the Pride) but now I think they've switched to a full cart with cups and all types of free beverages (water, lemonade, tea, coffee, hot tea).

Thank you for this helpful personal observation/experience. Pitchers of beverages with ice in them is a good idea and would work for the majority of people I would think. (You probably know how Americans are known around the globe for our love affair with ice.) :)

Thank you for this helpful personal observation/experience. Pitchers of beverages with ice in them is a good idea and would work for the majority of people I would think. (You probably know how Americans are known around the globe for our love affair with ice.) :)

So very true about ice.

Just back from England and when you ask for ice water you are lucky to get two cubes. Same with soft drinks as they are concerned about dilution of the drink.:)

After they removed the trays my wife and I would just go through the line and after we got to the table I would get our drinks. I almost always wear carpenter shorts so plenty of pockets for utensils.

Now, since we have a toddler who cruises with us, I just carry 2 plates. No problems at all. And the crew are usually falling over themselves to help if we need it.

omg...I didn't mean MDR, I meant buffet! lol I've been working 16 hour days and it's come to this. :o

I'm so glad you came back! No one picked up on what I was saying and one member accused me of not being on the same thread as them! Ha..thanks for the laugh and for sharing in on the fun. :) I liked your post and that was very kind of you to assist the group.

The Lighthouse of the Blind does (or had) a course to educate the sighted and how you described the buffet to the group is part of that tutorial. Also, when a plated meal is being served to an non-sighted person it is helpful to verbalize the hands of the clock to indicate the location of foods, i.e. chicken at 6 o'clock, peas at 9 and potatoes at 3. Yes, the blind do know the hands of the clock, their watches have raised hands.

I like what you did there with "it's come to this" too. Clever, but don't work yourself so hard you can't let go and relax on your next cruise ;)

Edited by sanmarcosman
It's come to this

I'm so glad you came back! No one picked up on what I was saying and one member accused me of not being on the same thread as them! Ha..thanks for the laugh and for sharing in on the fun. :) I liked your post and that was very kind of you to assist the group.

The Lighthouse of the Blind does (or had) a course to educate the sighted and how you described the buffet to the group is part of that tutorial. Also, when a plated meal is being served to an non-sighted person it is helpful to verbalize the hands of the clock to indicate the location of foods, i.e. chicken at 6 o'clock, peas at 9 and potatoes at 3. Yes, the blind do know the hands of the clock, their watches have raised hands.

excellent post

I am not reading the same thread as you. Who said anything about a decline in food quality. 14 cruises, we never once ate dinner in the buffet.

It seems this is about MDR versus buffet and the food in the MDR, at least that's what I got from that comment.