Is the Sel de Mer pop-up on the Oosterdam worth the charge?

ldlewis45

I'm thinking about booking a dinner at Sel de Mer for our Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam in August. Is it worth the extra charge? I'm not a huge seafood fan, but my dad is, so I'm considering booking it as a treat for him. I'd probably wind up with the rack of lamb or the cheese souffle, lol.

We're looking forward to trying it (reservations made) on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November. It's ala carte at the real deal aboard the K'dam, so I feel we'll more than get our money's worth on the flat rate pop-up version. After looking at the menu on Hal's site, my wife said she could make a meal out the appetizers alone. We seldom pass specialty dining opportunities. We've enjoyed Le Cirque when available, and are regulars in the PG, Tamarind, and occasionally the Canalleto

I'm thinking about booking a dinner at Sel de Mer for our Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam in August. Is it worth the extra charge? I'm not a huge seafood fan, but my dad is, so I'm considering booking it as a treat for him. I'd probably wind up with the rack of lamb or the cheese souffle, lol.

The first offering is this week. I'm looking forward to getting some feedback as well.

Only you can decide whether or not it is worth $49. Compare that to other $49 purchases you can make and decide for yourself.

Do 4 Stars get a 50% discount on this night as well? We did the Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam and loved it (especially the huge lobster tail), but there it was a separate dining venue (and we got the 50% discount).

Not for us. We did it on the NA in April, and did not enjoy it at all, though the menu had tempted us. Bring back Le Cirque, which it replaced.

Likely won't see Le Cirque back. Hopfully they will survive their bankrupcy and keep the NYC locations open.

Sel de Mer is a HAL creation so no huge fees to pay someone else.

Do 4 Stars get a 50% discount on this night as well? We did the Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam and loved it (especially the huge lobster tail), but there it was a separate dining venue (and we got the 50% discount).

Yes, 4 stars will get 50% reduction for Sel de Mer in the Pinnacle Grill, the same as Le Cirque.

What prompted such a broad, condemning statement?

I'm guessing Lizzie said she didn't like Sel de Mer because she didn't like it. D'ya suppose?

My husband and I didn't like it either. Taste is subjective. You might like it. We didn't.

Likely won't see Le Cirque back. Hopfully they will survive their bankrupcy and keep the NYC locations open.

Sel de Mer is a HAL creation so no huge fees to pay someone else.

Bankruptcy eh? That may well explain the sudden disappearance on HAL ships. Our Cirque was bought and paid for on the NA this spring when it was suddenly cancelled after we were onboard. That's a shame as we truly loved the Cirque experience.

Bankruptcy eh? That may well explain the sudden disappearance on HAL ships. Our Cirque was bought and paid for on the NA this spring when it was suddenly cancelled after we were onboard. That's a shame as we truly loved the Cirque experience.

Hi!

They said it is due to a cash problem. Wondering if the HAL cancellation was part of it.

• 1 month later...

It's offered on my maasdam departure on August 5

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A meal that no one enjoyed! What a strange question - am I supposed to say it was lovely when it wasn't?

What exactly didn't you enjoy about it? Seafood not fresh? Overcooked? Too salty? I think those are the things people are looking for. Maybe you liked the food but not the service? Details, please. :p

Roz

What exactly didn't you enjoy about it? Seafood not fresh? Overcooked? Too salty? I think those are the things people are looking for. Maybe you liked the food but not the service? Details, please. :p

Roz

It's been awhile... this old memory ain't what it used to be! But from my recall.... I had the Dover Sole. Presentation was excellent, except I had to tell our server how to do it, LOL, but in fairness it was his first time. But it was dry and quite tasteless. My DH had this big bag thing of different seafoods and a lot of broth. He said it was "OK" but salty. I can't remember what our friends had. We all disliked the "breads" and appies. Sorry I can't be more specific and wish I had taken photos. Suffice to say none of us would do it again, and we all had a future Sel de Mer reserved, but cancelled. For us it was a huge disappointment after so looking forward to it, especially for DH who absolutely loves seafood. It wasn't anywhere near as good as local seafood restaurants here at home.

It's been awhile... this old memory ain't what it used to be! But from my recall.... I had the Dover Sole. Presentation was excellent, except I had to tell our server how to do it, LOL, but in fairness it was his first time. But it was dry and quite tasteless. My DH had this big bag thing of different seafoods and a lot of broth. He said it was "OK" but salty. I can't remember what our friends had. We all disliked the "breads" and appies. Sorry I can't be more specific and wish I had taken photos. Suffice to say none of us would do it again, and we all had a future Sel de Mer reserved, but cancelled. For us it was a huge disappointment after so looking forward to it, especially for DH who absolutely loves seafood. It wasn't anywhere near as good as local seafood restaurants here at home.

Don't feel too bad-----I can't remember what we had either. It was that unremarkable. What I do remember is the dish your husband had that was served in the plastic bag plunked down in a bowl. It was awkward for him to eat it that way.

The experience brings to mind the old expression that says you only have one chance to make a good first impression. We won't be paying an upcharge again for a repeat visit.

We are booked on our next Oosterdam cruise. Looking forward to our dinner. Saw pictures on Twitter and dinner looked great.

I booked the Sel de Mer for our November Eurodam cruise...would love your feedback on how it was...We were on the K in January but only did the MDR and the Tamarind..and lunch in the Pinnacle...food is so subjective...for some reason the Pinnacle Grill has always underwhelmed me...but we have consistently enjoyed the Tamarind...can't wait to eat there again in November. Hope you have a great cruise!!

I just booked it for our Sept 3 cruise on the O-dam, I'm looking forward to it. Since we are 4 stars we will get 50% back after we eat.

-Paul

We did not get our 4 star discount, and the concierge said it does not apply to Sel de Mer. So check when you board.