"Magellan" dress code

Parsman

I am booked on the "Magellan" for a 14 night cruise to Scandinavia. As a regular cruiser but travelling for the first time with this company can any one tell me how many "formal" nights there will be and do they have any "theme" nights as on Fred. Olsen?

Grateful any info.

Hi,

My Wife and I are just off the Magellan, a 7 night cruise to the Norwegian Fjords.

There were 2 Formal nights, 2 Informal, 2 Casual and the last night at the passengers discretion. The Formal nights dress code was well adhered to. We are on a 14 night cruise in July and expect either 3 or 4 Formal.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

We are Magellan in 3 weeks time. Planning to wear a dinner suit for formal night, but "informal" night, what do you suggest? Suit and tie ? As casual night may suggest shorts and flip flops ! 😆

We only had two catagories of dress on P&O 😄

Regards M&M

Please may I hijack this post!? Approx what were the costs of drinks/cocktails? Have never cruised before and trying to decide if AI drinks package is worth it. I don't drink very much at all but if cocktails are £10 I need only to have 2 and it's better to have got the package!

Apologies for pinching the thread...hope I don't get struck off!Many thanks

Hi,

No problem hijacking !!

We are all here to share information.

Not sure what prices are on CMV. We were on Navigator in October and most drinks were $8 or $10 each.

Britannia more like pub prices. Large wine was £5.50.

So I assume a beer during the day, and a couple of glasses of wine during dinner, and you are more than even.

My thoughts are, if I can order what takes my fancy, without considering whether it is bumping up my on-board account, that leads to a more relaxed experience.

I believe you can book the drinks package up to 24 hours after boarding, so you can look at the prices, and make an informed decision.

I have to say though; we sailed with Royal Caribbean last year, and paid £170 each for "ultimate" package, which was anything we wanted. All branded, and worth every penny.

£17 per day with this cruise line, is a drop in the ocean !

Have a great time.

Mark & Maria 🚢🥂☀️

• 2 weeks later...

large glass of wine £5, house brandy £3,pint Bitburger£4.50,bloody mary or tom Collins or similar cocktails £3.85,gin and tonic £3.95,famous grouse and sprite £5.10 glass of sparkling wine£3.20. Branded beers around £4.50 a can or pint but with drinks package 30% discount making it around £3.00. We had the drinks package and we managed to spend the £34 we were charged for it and was never inebriated , hope this helps

informal is recommended as suit/jacket and shirt but tie optional. casual is as it says but deffo no shorts or flip flops and singlets. Formal night was reasonably well adhered to.

Just off CMV's Astoria. 8 night and 11 night cruises. 2 formal nights on each. Formal night brought out 25-33% tuxedo for men, 50% suits and the rest without jacket. No one was turned away for dress. Informal, as stated earlier, is jacket with or without tie. Actual suits were in the minority, many sports coats, about half with ties. Casual is at discretion but certainly no shorts on our cruises, but it was relatively cold for the duration. There was no dress code enforced at the buffet restaurant.

large glass of wine £5, house brandy £3,pint Bitburger£4.50,bloody mary or tom Collins or similar cocktails £3.85,gin and tonic £3.95,famous grouse and sprite £5.10 glass of sparkling wine£3.20. Branded beers around £4.50 a can or pint but with drinks package 30% discount making it around £3.00. We had the drinks package and we managed to spend the £34 we were charged for it and was never inebriated , hope this helps

That's really useful, thanks.

Were the house wines and beers of good quality ?

The beer is actually Bitberger lager and the house wine was in all fairness pretty ordinary but I got used to it but would not by it by choice for home and my standards are not that high either.

Just off CMV's Astoria. 8 night and 11 night cruises. 2 formal nights on each. Formal night brought out 25-33% tuxedo for men, 50% suits and the rest without jacket. No one was turned away for dress. Informal, as stated earlier, is jacket with or without tie. Actual suits were in the minority, many sports coats, about half with ties. Casual is at discretion but certainly no shorts on our cruises, but it was relatively cold for the duration. There was no dress code enforced at the buffet restaurant.

Thanks for that... Is the buffet open all evening? Sometimes we like to just have a small meal, and not bother with the jacket thing, though we do dress up for formal.

jocap, it was one of the moderately frustrating aspects of the CMV Astoria cruise that the Buffet closed at 2030 (8:30 pm). There were "snacks" at the bars at 2300, but we were never up at that time so cannot comment. Hopefully on the larger CMV ships the buffet is open longer hours.