Cruise from Manhattan cruise pier

We are cruising from Manhattan cruise pier on NCL in October and very confused about where to fly into and where to stay the night before, We have non stop flights both to Newark and LGA that are reasonable, but not sure where to go, found some great rates on Hotels in Newark, but not sure how to get to pier ,.,We will be coming in late, so no time for touring New York.

Thank you for your help,

We are cruising from Manhattan cruise pier on NCL in October and very confused about where to fly into and where to stay the night before, We have non stop flights both to Newark and LGA that are reasonable, but not sure where to go, found some great rates on Hotels in Newark, but not sure how to get to pier ,.,We will be coming in late, so no time for touring New York.

Thank you for your help,

I see on another thread that someone already recommended the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Exactly how late would you arrive at EWR or LGA? EWR has a large pool of hotels whereas LGA does not. IMO the hotel choice at EWR is much nicer.

You have to look at the big picture cost - hotel plus port transportation. Car Service from LGA would cost $40-50 to Manhattan. Car Service from EWR to Manhattan could be $100+. However, by staying in downtown Newark you can take the NJ Transit train to New York Penn station for $5.25/pp. Cab to the port should be <$15.

So it all boils down to whether you can manage your luggage. At EWR you have to take the Airtrain to the P4 station to connect with hotel shuttles. LGA is under construction and I believe you have to take some sort of bus to connect with other transportation. Both train stations have elevators and red cap service.

Since the OP is attracted by the hotel rates in Newark I won't make a recommendation for a stay in Manhattan. If luggage is minimal, perhaps public transportation to Manhattan and then a short taxi trip to the port. If not. call the hotel and see what taxi/car service they recommend.

If you fly into LGA there is a shuttle that goes into the city from the airport. Called the NYC airporter they have a transfer to midtown hotels. I use it all the time when I go up there to visit. I grew up there and now live in NC.

• 3 weeks later...