Alaska Whale Watching - best port?

Boytjie

Asking for a friend... no, really!

The ports are Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. My friend has been to Alaska before. Which of the three is best or are they all good for that excursion?

Best is Juneau (Auke Bay), Sitka next, with Ketchikan (been there many times and never saw a whale) last.

Asking for a friend... no, really!

The ports are Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. My friend has been to Alaska before. Which of the three is best or are they all good for that excursion?

Juneau has my vote

If Juneau is the whale watch choice.... consider Mendenhall whale watch combo's to maximize value and time. Both are west of Juneau's docks... save time in not retracing back to the ship.

Sitka. Because it's usually combined with other wilderness viewing. We saw minke and humpbacks, a ton of otters, a bear fishing for (and catching) salmon, sea lions, eagles nesting and flying and a few other animals, too.

I most enjoy whale watching in Icy Strait Point. Didn't enjoy it in Juneau at all. (Lots of cruising, not a lot of whales...scenery along the way pretty but not stunning like in ISP or Sitka.)

Juneau is guaranteed to find whales, as a pod lives in Auke Bay. So, if whales are the goal, that's the one to take.

However, I agree with Beach4me that the tour out of Sitka is the better tour to take. You see so much more than whales on that one. Plus, you get a map of the territory you covered, noting what you saw where.

Just to add a different perspective:

Four of us went salmon fishing with a local guide in his small boat in Ketchikan; not looking for whales but one smaller one came up right next to our boat! So tell your friend to keep his eyes open.

Just to add a different perspective:

Four of us went salmon fishing with a local guide in his small boat in Ketchikan; not looking for whales but one smaller one came up right next to our boat! So tell your friend to keep his eyes open.

Yes, one can see whales anywhere and often from the ship! We saw a number whales as we were approaching Juneau.

The night before Sitka I had a misjudgment and took Benadryl and then had red wine for dinner, meaning I left the table early and was asleep around 8 PM - that meant I was wide awake a 4 AM! So I wondered the ship not to bother DH and while approaching Sitka (it was still rather dark) I was out on the bow when I heard snorting sound. When I looked over the side I saw a whale nearby. Very cool.

I would try to find out which time(s) of year the humpbacks breach before booking an excursion, unless you think the sight of their backs will be worth it.

??? Is this meant to be funny/sarcastic? Honestly asking because I've never seen anyone say this before.

Having traveled to see humpbacks in Hawaii and Alaska MANY times. I can assure you that whales can and do breach anytime and anywhere.

And, if you're not lucky enough to see a breach, "the sight of their backs" is still definitely worth it.

We've done the Juneau whale watching excursions three times and have never been the least bit disappointed - saw several whales each time. Did the Sitka excursion once and was not displeased, even though the number of sightings was considerably less than any of the Juneau excursions - OTOH we saw a much wider variety of marine life on our Sitka excursion. On balance, I'd recommend Juneau over Sitka.

Smooth sailing ...

??? Is this meant to be funny/sarcastic? Honestly asking because I've never seen anyone say this before.

Having traveled to see humpbacks in Hawaii and Alaska MANY times. I can assure you that whales can and do breach anytime and anywhere.

And, if you're not lucky enough to see a breach, "the sight of their backs" is still definitely worth it.

No.

As I recall, it was a guide on one of these excursions, in Alaska, who told me that breaching isn't expected throughout the year.

It's good that you're satisfied with your excursions even if only the back is sighted. Perhaps I am unusual in that I found such an excursion not worth the money paid.

I've been whale watching twice in Juneau. Agree, do the ships excursion, these people know what they are doing and have never paid out because they couldn't find whales!

Depends on the time of year. When we went early in the season, we saw so many whales, we cancelled our Juneau whale excursion. Other than that, Juneau is a good choice.