Zuiderdam Panama Canal -New Locks?

cruisingnana

The new set of locks is designed for larger ships...and is much more expensive to transit. I doubt she will use the new locks for a partial. We sailed the partial in March and could see the new locks, but used the old.

Using the old locks is much more convenient to the anchor location once through the locks for the tours to depart, as well as make the turn to come back through.

Actually, the cost is not the limiting factor as to whether a ship uses the new or old locks. I think the difference in tariff is $8-10 per passenger berth. However, there is a limit to the number of ships they will schedule through the new locks at present (the number will increase each year as operations smooth out). Given the limited number of available slots, only those ships that need the larger locks will use them, and ships that have transited previously in the old locks will continue to do so. One exception is one of the Disney ships that used to transit in the old locks, but after a drydocking and installation of a "ducktail", she is now too long, and will now transit using the new locks.

Last December - 2016 - on the Zuiderdam's partial transit we used the old locks.

Be sure to bring binoculars ...

We were on the port side and going in we could see a HUGE container ship going parallel with us through the new locks.

Coming back out we were in the right-handed channel with a container ship in the left-handed channel going our direction. It was fascinating to watch the water levels chance and the ships go up and down. At times some balcony passengers on our ship were playing catch (tennis ball) with the guys on the container ship.

We had lunch during the time we sat in Gatun Lake. Many folks had gotten off for excursions so we easily scored a window table in the Lido.

I have taken an excursion to the visitor center for the new locks. My impression is that transiting the old locks is much more interesting,

I don't think I'll ever tire of the canal. Been through 4 times now with 4 more booked.

Roy

We went through the old locks on the Zuiderdam in February. We stayed on board and had a great time. We ate lunch in the Pinnacle Grill for a special treat. It was great to be able to view the locks from the bow of the ship. They served Panama buns and orange juice and coffee for those of us who got up early. (In reality, we could have slept in another hour and not missed anything.) After letting the passengers on excursions off the ship, the returns through the locks was still interesting. We viewed our progress from several different vantage points around the ship. We touched the wall of a lock from the Promenade Deck. We even watch a bit from our ocean view cabin on the Main Deck. They had a lecturer who lived in Panama providing commentary on the way to Colon. She got on the ship as the passengers were getting off in Gatun Lake.

Princess has some ships going through the new locks if that's important to you.

When Zuidy stops in the Gatun Lake anchorage during her partial canal transit and begins shuffling pax on tours to the Gatun Lake Yacht Club tender dock, you will find yourself right smack in between the channels for the old (Gatun) locks and the new (Agua Clara) locks just east of. You'll have a great view from there to watch the really big boys/New Panamax-size ships moving to and from the new locks (although you can't actually see them - the new locks - due to vegetation)

Panama-Canal-expansion.jpg

Pic shows new Agua Clara locks on the right; old Gatun locks on the left; and Gatun Lake Yacht Club tender dock (dark blue roof to the right of the red roofed buildings) on the left bottom corner

Edited by Copper10-8

For the Z'dam to use the new locks (or any other ship that can use the old locks) there would have to be something very much out of the ordinary to cause that to happen. While it would be a little more expensive for the Z'dam to take the new locks, it really is not that much of a difference as the Chief pointed out. The Chief mentioned the difference would only be around $10 per passenger berth and in the Z'dam's case would come out to be around another $24,000 in additional tolls. While not exactly couch change to us mortals, it would not be a show stopper for a cruise ship that is already shelling out close to $350K for a transit.

Even though the Canal presently is only transiting around half of the eventual transit goal of 12 neoPanamax ships/day at the new locks, those 6 transit slots are at a premium. The Canal would prefer to handle a ship paying $500K to $800K for a transit at the new locks rather than a ship that will bring in $375K if it were to use the new locks. After the new locks opened the Canal did not mind ballyhooing what some of the larger ships were paying, they since have kept those figures on the quiet side... there have been transits above above 1 million!

We are making the partial transit in November. I think we will stay on board as it may be the only time that DW and I will get to do this. We can hardly wait.

same with us but i want to see Pacific locks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't wait.... Going on the partial in December. Still up in arms whether we should do ferry at Gatun or stay on the ship. Pros and con's for each please. Right now the excursion is winning.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

We stayed on board in March and don't regret it for one minute. As much as I want to see the Pacific locks too, I want to do it ON the ship, while transiting the entire canal.

My husband and I enjoyed the transit into Gatun and then had a relaxing late breakfast and nap until the return trip through the locks around 1pm. During that return, the ship was FAR less crowded in the prime viewing areas and we found it easy to move about from place to place and see the parts of the locks we didn't see on the trip in. During the last lock chamber, we relaxed on our veranda with cocktails and snacks.

After we docked in Panama, the folks who were waiting to get back on the ship looked hot and exhausted. They were fortunate in that there was quite a bit of cloud cover to keep the beating sun off them, but it was humid. I had read prior reviews of people who took ferry trips and other excursions with bus rides to see the other locks, and they spoke of being very hot and very tired. I was glad we passed on that.

I can't wait.... Going on the partial in December. Still up in arms whether we should do ferry at Gatun or stay on the ship. Pros and con's for each please. Right now the excursion is winning.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

Although staying on board is enjoyable, but you have come a long way and you are only going to see less than 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. IMO The Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut have much more to offer as far as the more scenic parts of the Canal. The passage through the "Cut" you can better appreciate the herculean task of carving a channel through the Continental Divide. Locking through the two Pacific Locks on a smaller boat gives you a totally different experience of the locks than when you passed through Gatun Locks on your ship. Staying on the ship you won't see the two striking bridges across the Canal or the various islands in the Pacific entrance. Also the skyline of Panama City is a sight that most people don't expect. Gatun Locks is the preview... go see more of the movie!

OK, now a con... it can be a long day

I have done both and enjoyed them for different reasons. We are going through again in October and will be staying on his time for the full transit.

Panama City was very fun but it was exhausting. We did the tour to Panama City the second time because we were only doing the partial and wanted the experience of seeing both ends. The bonus was we also got a tour of the Panama "White House" because the president was not home, and we drove by Noriega's house. We really enjoyed seeing the Old Panama City, as well as the new big city of Panama.

If your focus is just on the canal, by all means stay on the ship. If you want both, I suggest you take a tour. The traffic can be horrible, I would recommend a ship tour and not one you book off the ship, you want to make sure you get back.

Although staying on board is enjoyable, but you have come a long way and you are only going to see less than 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. IMO The Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut have much more to offer as far as the more scenic parts of the Canal. The passage through the "Cut" you can better appreciate the herculean task of carving a channel through the Continental Divide. Locking through the two Pacific Locks on a smaller boat gives you a totally different experience of the locks than when you passed through Gatun Locks on your ship. Staying on the ship you won't see the two striking bridges across the Canal or the various islands in the Pacific entrance. Also the skyline of Panama City is a sight that most people don't expect. Gatun Locks is the preview... go see more of the movie!

OK, now a con... it can be a long day

I agree that the Cut is worth seeing. We've done full transits before, so when we did the partial this winter we were satisfied with the "preview" (great analogy!) and instead did a tour to the new locks. We saw a ship enter the lock, but it was near time for our tour to leave, so we weren't able to watch the whole process. However, we could see Zuidy's funnels in the distance as she made the return trip through the locks. For anyone thinking about a tour to the new locks. choose the tour that goes to both observation sites (old locks and new locks). We did the tour that included a ride through the old US base, which was boring.

I have done both and enjoyed them for different reasons. We are going through again in October and will be staying on his time for the full transit.

Panama City was very fun but it was exhausting. We did the tour to Panama City the second time because we were only doing the partial and wanted the experience of seeing both ends. The bonus was we also got a tour of the Panama "White House" because the president was not home, and we drove by Noriega's house. We really enjoyed seeing the Old Panama City, as well as the new big city of Panama.

If your focus is just on the canal, by all means stay on the ship. If you want both, I suggest you take a tour. The traffic can be horrible, I would recommend a ship tour and not one you book off the ship, you want to make sure you get back.

For people doing the partial transit, the only way to get off the ship in Gatun Lake is on a ship's tour. No independent departures are allowed.

We booked this cruise so we could ride through the locks - not to ride a big bus to an excursion in a sweaty, hot climate LOL. We can do that on lots of other cruises but could ride the locks on this one only.

Our perspective was very different on the 2 different directions - so it's not the same experience both ways.

Maybe if we'd done this trip 2 or 3 times before we'd feel differently but this was our first time and we felt it was one of the very best days we've ever had on a cruise ship (tied only by Alaska) :D

I agree that the Cut is worth seeing. We've done full transits before, so when we did the partial this winter we were satisfied with the "preview" (great analogy!) and instead did a tour to the new locks. We saw a ship enter the lock, but it was near time for our tour to leave, so we weren't able to watch the whole process. However, we could see Zuidy's funnels in the distance as she made the return trip through the locks. For anyone thinking about a tour to the new locks. choose the tour that goes to both observation sites (old locks and new locks). We did the tour that included a ride through the old US base, which was boring.

For people doing the partial transit, the only way to get off the ship in Gatun Lake is on a ship's tour. No independent departures are allowed.

Just like to add that sometime last year the Canal closed the Gatun Locks observation area to the public. They have continued to operate it for group tours when there was a cruise ship making a partial transit "as long as manpower was available". I don't have any idea how long this aspect of the tour will continue.

I also think there would not be much of interest touring one of the old military facilities on the Atlantic side. To me the only interest would be if you had been stationed there way back when.

Just like to add that sometime last year the Canal closed the Gatun Locks observation area to the public. They have continued to operate it for group tours when there was a cruise ship making a partial transit "as long as manpower was available". I don't have any idea how long this aspect of the tour will continue.

I also think there would not be much of interest touring one of the old military facilities on the Atlantic side. To me the only interest would be if you had been stationed there way back when.

We chose the tour with the military base because it was the shorter of the two and I was concerned about the heat. The tour should have given us more time at the locks and less time driving around what looks like a suburban subdivision. I hope they continue to accommodate groups at Gatun. The contrast between the two operations is interesting and worth seeing.