What is Princess' policy on bring water onboard?

Pacificlander

We've never brought any wine or water onboard until last March. We put luggage tags on our flat of water, as did our friends, handed it over to the stevedores with a tip and it was delivered to our cabins. We only had 1/2 of 1 bottle that seemed to be opened or that had leaked. Definitely worth the hassle if we're cruising from a home port.

We've been very sucessful packing a PUR water filter (pitcher)...they are light-weight and will purify an enormous amount of water....While packing for your trip, you can fill the pitcher with clothing, so it won't take up any room at all in your suitcase. It takes only a few seconds to filter the water from the tap. We use exercise bottles with a cap and refill before we leave for shore excursions.

Most cruise lines have no policies about bringing water onto their ships.

But privately they may have some doubts about the sanity of someone paying good money and going to quite some effort to lug water onto a ship, when the ship's water is far better quality - and free for the taking.

If you are only looking for a container to take water ashore, why not just purchase one bottle of water and re-fill the bottle from the tap in your cabin?

Since ship's ice is made from the incredibly pure water produced onboard (and then filtered one more time before it goes through the ice machine), you can do even better by getting extra ice from your cabin steward, letting it melt, and then using it for drinking water.

Most cruise lines have no policies about bringing water onto their ships.

But privately they may have some doubts about the sanity of someone paying good money and going to quite some effort to lug water onto a ship, when the ship's water is far better quality - and free for the taking.

If you are only looking for a container to take water ashore, why not just purchase one bottle of water and re-fill the bottle from the tap in your cabin?

Since ship's ice is made from the incredibly pure water produced onboard (and then filtered one more time before it goes through the ice machine), you can do even better by getting extra ice from your cabin steward, letting it melt, and then using it for drinking water.

Exactly what we do - I get a standing order for ice every afternoon ( they bring a very big container full) for our in cabin cocktails - what's left goes in our water bottles.

Ron

I agree with this. Why on earth would you go to that trouble when the water onboard is exceptionally pure? That's like the proverbial bringing coals to Newcastle or perhaps tulips to Holland. I bring a water bottle and fill it from the tap.

Ship water is quite high in sodium, even though it is desalinated, so it might be better to bring/buy bottled water if on a low sodium diet.

I would question this - actually "sea salt" or salt made from sea water has less sodium than regular table salt.

Ron

I slapped a luggage tag on a case of water and was told by the porters even after tipping them that I need to put it in my luggage. What a pain in the ass that was. Saw numerous people carrying multiple cases on board.

Porters in FLL last week also gave us a hard time about bringing the water onboard. They told us we weren't allowed to bring it on board and that they wouldn't be allowed to load it on the ship and it would be left behind. We gave them a large tip, told them we've done it before, and said we were willing to take the risk that we wouldn't get it - but that we would expect to be contacted if they were turning away any of our baggage, including the water.

Water was delivered seperate from the rest of the luggage, after the muster drill, with no problems.

Some cruise ships have reverse osmosis systems for removing salt from sea water. These systems do leave a small amount of sea salt in the water.

Many ships have both reverse osmosis and distillation systems, leaving an average lower level of sea salt in the drinking water.

Princess Ships have primarily distillation systems, which leave - for practical purposes - zero residual sea salt in the drinking water.

Most bottled waters - especially carbonated ones - contain extremely high amounts of sodium. San Pellegrino (my favourite) was declared unfit for human consumption by the Health Department of the State of New York, due to the incredibly high levels of natural sodium in the water. Strangely, they still allow it to be sold there.

Archived