Cruise directors

Okay so I'm fresh off of my first cruise and I gotta say with all due respect and in every loving way that any human deserves - the cruise director on the independence of the seas is a bit wacky. Okay not a bit. He is nuts. Bordering on inappropriate at times, with a dirty questionably kid-not-so-friendly humor and juvenile personality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people love him. But he certainly wasn't in good taste for me.

Are all cruise directors trained to be this nutty or is Leigh just a special case?

The things I enjoyed was on the tv when he would go around and show you how the food was cooked or how the ship recycles, etc. the informative stuff was good although he did make many inappropriate jokes along the way.

What has been your experience with cruise directors? My wife really got to dislike him and every time I would see him on the tv or around he ship, I would say IT'S YOUR FAVORITE GUY!!!! ITS LEEEEEEEEIGHHHHHHH

Just got off the same cruise with Leigh as our cruise director. Gotta say me and the wife loved his humor. We love to laugh and found him to be refreshing. He brought great energy everyday. Thought he was the best cruise director we've ever had.

Just got off the same cruise with Leigh as our cruise director. Gotta say me and the wife loved his humor. We love to laugh and found him to be refreshing. He brought great energy everyday. Thought he was the best cruise director we've ever had.

From what the OP posted sounds like our kind of Cruise Director. I'll bet he was good in QUEST.

From what the OP posted sounds like our kind of Cruise Director. I'll bet he was good in QUEST.

My thoughts too. OP how was the Quest?

I've had some CDs I really liked and some I hated. I kind of like how DCL does the CDs, more of an officer and lets his underlings front a lot of the different events. That way if you find him or one of his staff annoying, you don't have to seen them at every event.

BTW: Amy had the most boring Quest I've ever been to. She just was not crazy, wild or "improper" at all, was 30 minutes late and wouldn't let her staff start without her.

My DH and I had Leigh on the Explorer a couple years ago and though that he was inappropriate at times also. We like "clean" comedy and that is not how I would classify him. But, with that being said, I would still take a cruise with him on it. I would just not hang out where he hangs out.

CD's are subjective, one person could laugh at a comment whilst another may be offended, it's different strokes. We sailed with Richard Spacey as CD twice and I just did not get him, but I know that he is extemely popular with a huge number of people. I just think that if you are not keen it's only a few mins you have to listen to them at the shows etc.

Oh, I loved Leigh as a Cruise Director. Him and Joff Eaton were the only ones who really left an impression.

Now, I found John Blair to be extremely full of himself and annoying and Casey Pelter was poor for a number of reasons.

Jerome Sueur on Allure and Jimmy Rhodes on Oasis seemed quite nice but with it being such a big ship I didn't see much of them so I can't judge them on their abilities. Neither were particularly funny but didn't seem offensive and got the job done.

Who was the Activity Manager? Erky has left RCI, correct?

Leigh and Erky working together were a riot.

Frankie Portera was the activity manager when I was onboard in July. I love Leigh (possibly my favorite CD) and I think the 2 of them made an excellent team... They were hysterical! Frankie did our meet and mingle and did a nice job. I do miss Erky as well, though! :)

My thoughts too. OP how was the Quest?

I've had some CDs I really liked and some I hated. I kind of like how DCL does the CDs, more of an officer and lets his underlings front a lot of the different events. That way if you find him or one of his staff annoying, you don't have to seen them at every event.

BTW: Amy had the most boring Quest I've ever been to. She just was not crazy, wild or "improper" at all, was 30 minutes late and wouldn't let her staff start without her.

Amy is so horrible! We never really paid attention to the cruise directors until we were on Oasis with her in 2010... She was soooo boring and thought she was funny. The Quest wasn't even worth going to! We like a little inappropriateness since it is an adult event!

My DH and I had Leigh on the Explorer a couple years ago and though that he was inappropriate at times also. We like "clean" comedy and that is not how I would classify him. But, with that being said, I would still take a cruise with him on it. I would just not hang out where he hangs out.

Right on. It's all about choices.

Oh, I loved Leigh as a Cruise Director. Him and Joff Eaton were the only ones who really left an impression.

Now, I found John Blair to be extremely full of himself and annoying and Casey Pelter was poor for a number of reasons.

Jerome Sueur on Allure and Jimmy Rhodes on Oasis seemed quite nice but with it being such a big ship I didn't see much of them so I can't judge them on their abilities. Neither were particularly funny but didn't seem offensive and got the job done.

We have Casey Pelter on our upcoming Freedom cruise! I believe a good CD is really important. What about him is so bad, if you don't mind? What are others opinions?

We have Casey Pelter on our upcoming Freedom cruise! I believe a good CD is really important. What about him is so bad, if you don't mind? What are others opinions?

We had Jaimee and Bell on Freedom this June. I thought they worked well together. Loved Chubby Bunny

Well,

He started the cruise at the Welcome Aboard Show. He cracked a couple of jokes and was OK.

Most CD's schedule two shows per night but Casey only scheduled one and it was usually around 11pm. That just wasn't an option for us.

He left a lot of activities to his staff and only turned up to the big things like the shows.

He was on Serenade out of Barcelona and can't speak a ounce of Spanish so the Activities Director Carlos was left to do more.

His Morning Show was sooooo boring and really quite uninspired.

Did I mention he left lots to his staff???

He also said "See you around the ship" after every announcement. I only saw him once in the whole 12 days and while he said "Hi" walking past that was all we saw and heard of him outside the shows.

I'm sure he is a half-decent guy and I know lots of people loved him and also for him to be on Freedom he must have upped his game as Freedom would require more effort than Serenade.

Have an excellent cruise!

Joe

Edited by Joe12