St. Kitts Beaches

Dreamfinders

Hi fellow cruisers,

My family and I are going on our Adventure cruise soon!! We are very excited!! We have never been to St. Kitts. We would like to do a beach day (or part of a day). I have read and heard different things about the beaches and am somewhat confused. I am hoping to hear from some people who have been there recently. I hear that Carambola beach is one to try but have also heard that there is a lot of seaweed and the beach has deteriorated leaving a big dropoff. I have fibromyalgia and prefer a beach with gentle waves and somewhat shallow. Also we are looking for beach chairs to rent and clean bathrooms. What about Frigate Bay? Turtle Beach? I admit I know nothing about any of these. We are not doing an excursion from the ship and just want a fairly close taxi ride to a safe, clean beach. Oh also I have heard about the Marriott. Can you still get a day pass, and also how is it?

I know I can count on all of you expert cruisers. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!! And Happy Cruising!!

We've gone to Cockleshell Beach, near the Reggae Beach Bar. Very nice facility, and a wide beach. Some of the other beaches we have tried (can't remember the names) are narrow. Cockleshell has a nice view of Nevis.

We went to cockleshell. When we were there in May you could walk a foot or two into the water, but then there was a considerable drop off to get into deeper water. I watched people struggle with it all day. The food was good at the restaurant. The bathrooms (2 stalls) were clean. Had to change in the bathroom. We thought about the Marriott but with it being on the Atlantic side, you run the risk of rougher waves. Our taxi driver took us by there to look and it was very windy that day and the waves looked down right dangerous so we decided against it.

Edited by SMN73

We took an all-day tour that ended with an hour at Cockelshell Beach. Attached are two photos that our guide took for us (he took photos throughout the tour).

It was a nice beach, not too crowded where we were, but he seemed to take us to a less-populated area of the beach. That was fine with us!

1317382123_Javin(164).jpg.4014b940220a9802c1771918b045d198.jpg

1280068309_Javin(165).jpg.c3de8016fa2a31c879fc67dd2caf356c.jpg

Another option is taking the Catamaran Sail to Nevis where there are "post card pretty" beaches! :)

LuLu

Do you remember the name of the Catamaran Sail? Was it with RC?

We have looked at a catamaran sail with Bluewater (not a RC excursion). Just concerned about getting back on time for boarding.

The RC excursions to Nevis had terrible reviews.

Thanks

We went to Caramobola beach club in April 2014 and loved it! The water was a little rough. Don't remember there being seaweed. The bathrooms were really nice and the lounge chairs and umbrellas were great. We loved it!

We took the Celebrity/RC catamaran to Nevis. We had a great time but if you have any mobility issues I wouldn't recommend it as you have to clamber down a ladder to get to the beach. Great beach & nice lunch, we got back to the ship 10 minutes from sail away. We've also done the Marriott beach & it can be pretty rough, but it's a lovely property

We took the Celebrity/RC catamaran to Nevis. We had a great time but if you have any mobility issues I wouldn't recommend it as you have to clamber down a ladder to get to the beach. Great beach & nice lunch, we got back to the ship 10 minutes from sail away. We've also done the Marriott beach & it can be pretty rough, but it's a lovely property

Thanks. Just want to get to Nevis so I can check it off my list of islands visited.

Not sure about that ladder thing. We used some kind of steps off of a catamaran in St. John's Antigua (3/2015) and that was easy enough.

Thank you all very very much. I knew I could count on you experts!! You have given me great advice and we will have to think it over. It's really our adult kids who want to go to the beach. In my earlier days I LOVED the beach and still do, but I wouldn't just mind a little shopping and then back on the ship!! LOL!! Thanks for the advice about Nevis. I don't have too many mobility issues, but with fibro it can vary greatly day to day and we don't want to plan anything that I may have to cancel. We plan on doing beaches on St. Thomas and Aruba also so I would like something relatively easy for St. Kitts.

Again thanks so very much. And Happy Cruising!!!

Edited by Dreamfinders

Thank you very much for your advice. Yes the Atlantic side does sound like bigger waves. Not what I want. Cockleshell sounds nice.

Thanks again!!

Carambola is a private section of cockleshell beach. We were just there on July 9th. No seaweed at all. Very nice beach and water. You should reserve your chairs and umbrellas in advance by email. Restaurant good, drinks good, service a little spotty. Clean restroom and shower facilities. Take a cab from the pier. Usually they will fill the cab, and make pick up arrangements at the agreed upon pick up time.

Carambola is a private section of cockleshell beach. We were just there on July 9th. No seaweed at all. Very nice beach and water. You should reserve your chairs and umbrellas in advance by email. Restaurant good, drinks good, service a little spotty. Clean restroom and shower facilities. Take a cab from the pier. Usually they will fill the cab, and make pick up arrangements at the agreed upon pick up time.

I believe Carambola is on South Friar's Beach. It is on one end and Shipwreck Beach Bar is at the other. Perhaps someone here will confirm.

I believe Carambola is on South Friar's Beach. It is on one end and Shipwreck Beach Bar is at the other. Perhaps someone here will confirm.

You are exactly right. We went to the Shipwreck Bar end and had a great time, but we had young kids that wanted to snorkel, so it worked for us. Also, I am used to sugar white sands on the Gulf Coast and was excited to see the black/beige sand there. It's not for everyone, though. Very hard to get off, almost like dirt when it's wet, but was a neat change for us.

We've gone to Cockleshell Beach, near the Reggae Beach Bar. Very nice facility, and a wide beach. Some of the other beaches we have tried (can't remember the names) are narrow. Cockleshell has a nice view of Nevis.

Hi Bob,

Never been to Reggie's on Cockleshell, saw many pics and seemed to be very crowded. Was this your experience?

Been to both Carambola and Shipwreck and now looking to try something different.

Hi Bob,

Never been to Reggie's on Cockleshell, saw many pics and seemed to be very crowded. Was this your experience?

Been to both Carambola and Shipwreck and now looking to try something different.

There are four or five businesses on Cockleshell. Easy to find your range of price/crowds.

Yes, and I have done both beaches. Shipwreck is set up as if a wreck had happened there. Despite the signs and the buildings looking run down, the food is great, the beach nice. You will find the guys with the monkeys here. Carambola at the other end is much classier looking with a more upscale feel. We did not eat at the restaurant because of the prices but the beers were reasonable. We had great times at each beach. I think the snorkeling was slightly better at Carambola.

Carambola Beach Club

Opened on December 1, 2011

Address

South Friar's Bay, 00265 Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Hours

Mon-Sun:

11:00 am - 11:00 pm

Short Description

Culinary experience on a beach front setting on South Friar's Bay. 4000 bottle wine cellar. An atmosphere designed in total harmony.

Long Description

Modern European cuisine with Caribbean influences, Tapas Menu & Sushi Bar.

Cuisine

Buffets, Caribbean and Sushi Bars

Parking

Parking Lot

General Manager

Chris Evelyn

Payment Methods

Visa and Mastercard

Services

Takes Reservations, Walk-Ins Welcome, Good For Groups, Good For Kids, Waiter Service and Outdoor Seating

Specialities

Lunch, Dinner, Coffee and Drinks

Phone

1-869-465-9090

Email

info@carambolabeachclub.com

Website