Key West - what to do?

Luv my furbaby

In no particular order and not a full list

Aquarium, ship wreck museum, Hemingway house, Little White House, Maritime museum, southernmost point, you can climb the lighthouse, coast guard cutter Ingham (Museum), Key West heritage house, lots of great art galleries to check out. Depending how long you are there and if you want to spend some $$$ you can go deep sea fishing, do a helicopter tour, or even make a day of Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas(this might be tough with limited time a cruise ship is in port)

I feel bad for people that get off of a floating bar to go sit at a land bar and totally miss everything unique to KW. A lot of it is tourist bars and t-shirt shops.

Have only been to Key West once (a cruise) and don't really remember it very well. Is there still a shuttle from the ship into town? Anyone have any ideas about must see places? Going in November on the Oasis

Thanks!!!:)

Oasis doesn't go to Key West, but if you get there some other way, try a bar called Irish Kevin's. Depending on who is singing that day it could be R-rated and then some, but funny if you like traditional Irish music with a twist. Great live music that starts early in the day.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Oasis doesn't go to Key West, but if you get there some other way, try a bar called Irish Kevin's. Depending on who is singing that day it could be R-rated and then some, but funny if you like traditional Irish music with a twist. Great live music that starts early in the day.

I've spent many an hour in Irish Kevins and heard little to no "traditional Irish music", with or without a twist.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That said it's a cool place and I recommend it:D

We love Key West. You can walk right off the ship and your in town. We took the hop on/off trolley tour and it takes you all around town.

There are three cruise ship piers there, and you can walk off two of them but have to be shuttled off of the other through the military base. Not a problem, just a quick two-minute ride.

I've spent many an hour in Irish Kevins and heard little to no "traditional Irish music", with or without a twist.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That said it's a cool place and I recommend it:D

Yes, perhaps it was more "twist" than "traditional", but definitely fun. Kevin was the one singing last time we were there.

Been there many time our preferred mode of transportation is scooter! go to Hogfish grill on stock Island for a great meal. There is always something going on in KW check the event calendar for that area. Have fun leaving for KW on the 22nd.

Yes, perhaps it was more "twist" than "traditional", but definitely fun. Kevin was the one singing last time we were there.

Just not accurate to describe it as "irish music" at all, that is NOT what you'll hear at Irish Kevins 99% of the time. But yes it's a fun place.

I recommend the Hemingway House and the Little White House (President Truman). Both historical "must sees".

Key West has a number of restaurants that have been featured in Southern Living. I recommend Sarabeth's on Simonton Street for lunch or breakfast. They serve breakfast items throughout the afternoon.

Key West is so much more than the bars and tourist shops.

No traditional Irish music at Irish Kevin's but it's a very FUN place to go. :D

Hog's Breath is another enjoyable place. At the bar outside there's normally someone playing Jimmy Buffet type of music in the afternoons. :)

LuLu

Almost everything you'll want to see in Key west is within walking distance from the ship. The southern most point is a must but it would be a good walk. Be prepared for a photo op line. My recommendation would be to walk along the wharf starting at A&B Lobster house and ending at Dante's Pool and Restaurant. Lots of bars and hangouts along the wharf. And, of course, Duval Street, up one side, down, the other.

Just not accurate to describe it as "irish music" at all, that is NOT what you'll hear at Irish Kevins 99% of the time. But yes it's a fun place.

I suppose the music selection just depends on when you go. When Kevin was singing he took old Irish classics and added a few choice lyrics in between or in place of the real ones. Saw him three times and loved it. Two other times the singers played them strictly by the book, including the traditional classics, with some Van Morrison and some other pop stuff mixed in.

Last time we were there was a Sunday morning so I expected the mellower stuff, but Kevin was there and was at the top of his game. He's definitely great at getting the audiences invloved.

Have only been to Key West once (a cruise) and don't really remember it very well. Is there still a shuttle from the ship into town? Anyone have any ideas about must see places? Going in November on the Oasis

Thanks!!!:)

You've got something wrong here. You're either not going to Key West, or not on Oasis. Radiance Class is the largest class of RCI ships that visit Key West.

But if you are going to Key West, a couple things...

First, Irish Kevins is far from a true Irish bar. It's fun, but it's your typical sing-along type bar playing all the usuals....like Brown Eye Girl,Take Me Home Country Roads, etc.

If you're looking to let loose, the 100 and 200 blocks of Duval St are chock full of bars and restaurants, many with live music playing.

If you like history, there's the Little White House, Hemingway House, Key West Lighthouse, Shipwreck Historium and the USCGC INGHAM museum.

If you're a Jimmy Buffet fan, you can visit the original Margaritaville.

The only way you'll need a shuttle is if your ship is on the Outer Mole. The shuttle is free. You can check your pier here:

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/department/calendar.php

Edited by Aquahound

Little off the beaten path a few blocks past the Truman House is a place called "Blue Heaven". The bar is outdoors, best mojitos around. Terrific restaurant and view a little past the Southernmost point is "Louie's Back Yard", somewhat upscale but my favorite Key West "special" place. If you ever go there via a non-cruise vacation the Westin is right at the marina and cruise ship pier. Very nice. Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

I enjoy doing the "Duval crawl". Whenever I have been in Kew West it has been very drunk outside.

Yes! That's usually been the climate when I've been there too. Was there earlier this year for a cruise stop and will be driving down there later this month.

To the OP, the Hemingway House is OK to see once. As far as bars, Hog's Breath and Sloppy Joe's are good to stop in for a drink or two. Margaritaville was OK. Tried Irish Kevin's but we were there early (mid-morning), probably right after they had opened. There was an older clientele there and the guy was sticking to the Irish Eyes Are Smiling type of old-timey tunes, so we moved on. Haven't tried this yet, but a few friends have done and enjoyed the Hop On / Hop Off trolley that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Have a good time!