Star Breeze pool and spa

mominhouston

Thanks, mominhouston. Every time I look at the construction in progress, I am amazed at how much they have tried to chew on this refurbishment project. I've spent my whole career in facilities management (with lots of renovations along the way), and I can appreciate just how in-sync and timely every facet of the work has to be to meet a tight deadline. One missed material delivery, a heavy downpour for several days, a labor strike -- anything can go wrong. I'm sure they built in some float in the schedule (no pun intended), and I bet they have a pre-negotiated price if they have to switch to an around-the-clock work schedule to recover lost time. Still, if I weren't already seriously polished on top of my head, I would surely begin to pull my hair out about 48 hrs before the closing bell. They probably also have some optional things (alternates) that they can drop at the last minute if they know they can't finish 100% of the original taski list. Those are probably some nice-to-have bells and whistles that can be completed on the next trans-atlantic voyage when the passenger manifest is light.

I will say this -- I read with real concern last year the disenchantment many Windstar customers had when the Star Pride took sail. Lots of very unhappy campers. It made me second-guess whether or not the wife and I should even try out one of the newly-acquired motorized yachts. [i still think Wind Surf would be my preference, but I'm flexible at this point.] The corporate leaderd apparently listened carefully to the steady stream of criticism, and this time they aren't doing a half-a**ed, mini-renovation with a few swatches of cloth and some buckets of paint. This refurbishment is by all appearances a MUCH more involved deal, and if they succeed the Windstar faithful will be much happier. I think everyone will be happy they took the time to do it right. IF they finish on time. :D

Hi, LTC Dan. Loved your perspective from your own career -- very insightful.

I'm on my way there now -- arrive in Nice later today, and we board tomorrow (morning, I hope). I'll take as many photos as I can! Especially of the pool area that's now dining and the counter current pool.

One thing I thought that Windstar got very right with Star Pride was the cabins -- they are gorgeous.

I'm reporting, beginning tomorrow, over on our Cruise Critic Live! chat -- hope all you guys will come over and check things out. It's somewhat focused on Star Breeze, naturally, but we're encouraging folks to share photos, memories, comments about small ship cruising in general, and Windstar itself in particular.

Thanks again. And here's the link to the chat: https://client.scribblelive.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_All_Things_Windstar

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Thanks, mominhouston. Every time I look at the construction in progress, I am amazed at how much they have tried to chew on this refurbishment project. I've spent my whole career in facilities management (with lots of renovations along the way), and I can appreciate just how in-sync and timely every facet of the work has to be to meet a tight deadline. One missed material delivery, a heavy downpour for several days, a labor strike -- anything can go wrong. I'm sure they built in some float in the schedule (no pun intended), and I bet they have a pre-negotiated price if they have to switch to an around-the-clock work schedule to recover lost time. Still, if I weren't already seriously polished on top of my head, I would surely begin to pull my hair out about 48 hrs before the closing bell. They probably also have some optional things (alternates) that they can drop at the last minute if they know they can't finish 100% of the original taski list. Those are probably some nice-to-have bells and whistles that can be completed on the next trans-atlantic voyage when the passenger manifest is light.

I will say this -- I read with real concern last year the disenchantment many Windstar customers had when the Star Pride took sail. Lots of very unhappy campers. It made me second-guess whether or not the wife and I should even try out one of the newly-acquired motorized yachts. [i still think Wind Surf would be my preference, but I'm flexible at this point.] The corporate leaderd apparently listened carefully to the steady stream of criticism, and this time they aren't doing a half-a**ed, mini-renovation with a few swatches of cloth and some buckets of paint. This refurbishment is by all appearances a MUCH more involved deal, and if they succeed the Windstar faithful will be much happier. I think everyone will be happy they took the time to do it right. IF they finish on time. :D

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Thanks for the reply, editor@cruisecritic! I really do hope this major overhaul is a success. If all goes as planned, DW and I may very well sail on the Star Breeze at the end of September 2016. I'm still infatuated with the Wind Surf (and so the 1 October 2016 offering on that ship still has the edge, all other things being equal). But the Star Breeze is obviously a gorgeous ship, and having a spacious suite instead of an oceanview cabin is a real advantage. It'll probably come down to price and availability when we lock in.

I bet your chat will be fun. You'll have a useful perspective of your own, too. :D

We've seen the pools (and numerous other improvements!). Come by Cruise Critic Live!, where I'm posting photos, and let us know what you think.

Carolyn

Thanks for the reply, editor@cruisecritic! I really do hope this major overhaul is a success. If all goes as planned, DW and I may very well sail on the Star Breeze at the end of September 2016. I'm still infatuated with the Wind Surf (and so the 1 October 2016 offering on that ship still has the edge, all other things being equal). But the Star Breeze is obviously a gorgeous ship, and having a spacious suite instead of an oceanview cabin is a real advantage. It'll probably come down to price and availability when we lock in.

I bet your chat will be fun. You'll have a useful perspective of your own, too. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The pictures of the Star Breeze look lovely. They did listen to what was said about the Star Pride redo. We cruised on the Star Pride in May 2014. As said, the suites were lovely, and removing the pool to enlarge the Veranda Restaurant was a necessity. Having been on the sailing yachts many times, we were used to dining out on the Veranda for breakfast and lunch....and the small Veranda Restaurant on the Pride could not accommodate the guests, so we had to have breakfast in the main dining room. Very disappointing. Having said that, the overall experience was up to the Windstar standards, with the crew as wonderful as always!