Tahiti Excursion - How Strenuous Is This?

pteague

Hi all,

The Active Hike and Guided Tour of Coconut Trail on Moorea is described by Windstar's website as "very strenuous" in terms of activity level. Has anyone gone on this hike? I'm trying to determine if it's as strenuous as they describe.

Thanks!

This hike was spectacular. The guide stopped often to talk about the area so you will have a chance to rest. I hike and walk often and this hike was 7 out of 10 on difficult meter. Make sure you take a walking stick or get one from your guide as the trail is uneven and there are many roots sticking up along the way. Although it was not raining, the trail is wet and can be slippery so make sure your shoes do not have slick soles. The total climb from Belvedere Point to the pass is about 600 ft. and the total length is 4 miles roundtrip. Depending on your guide and the speed of the group, you will spend about 30-45 minutes at the pass.

If you are not in good conditioning and do not walk or hike regularly, I would not recommend this excursion. Several people on our hike were out of breath a few times but they said they were glad they made it..