King Beds on Silversea??

blizzardboy

Like pretty much all cruise ships, Silversea cabins have two twin beds either apart or pushed together - I'm not sure quite what the measurements of the pair pushed together are, maybe someone out there has measured them? However, I'd guess the twins are each three feet wide so together they'd make six feet which is a king bed, is it not? I thought twins are three feet, doubles are four foot six, queens are five feet and kings are six feet wide. Also not sure how long they are - regular bed length is six foot three but they seem longer than that to me; maybe not though, the clearance between the bed and the vanity isn't much to begin with, I'm sure they wouldn't want a bed longer than necessary!

I suppose they call the pair of twins pushed together a 'queen' rather than a king to avoid confusion with a california king which is larger (six foot six by six foot six, or maybe more) - you're unlikely to find one of them in the confines of a Silversea cabin, even as spacious as they are.

Edited by jollyjones

Also not sure how long they are - regular bed length is six foot three but they seem longer than that to me; maybe not though, the clearance between the bed and the vanity isn't much to begin with, I'm sure they wouldn't want a bed longer than necessary!

For the standard Vista and Veranda suites on the Cloud, Wind, Shadow and Whisper they are probably six foot three long, however, on the Spirit they are shorter, six foot or mayabe six foot one.

If you are six foot two or taller then your toes are going to hang over the end of the bed on the Spirit!

In my opinion, the beds in the Silver suites on the Spirit are wider than those in the Veranda suites. I also believe they are slightly longer.

'Fraid I won't be able to check this out exactly - as a solo sailor I am in more humble accommodation - but I will be embarking on the Wind on 31st (not the Spirit tho', just disembarked from her in April) so I will measure the beds!

And yes, before you ask, I always travel with a tape measure ...

'Fraid I won't be able to check this out exactly - as a solo sailor I am in more humble accommodation - but I will be embarking on the Wind on 31st (not the Spirit tho', just disembarked from her in April) so I will measure the beds!

And yes, before you ask, I always travel with a tape measure ...

You never know what might need measured! ;)

• 1 month later...

As promised, I did measure the beds altho' I didn't strip off the extremely comfortable quilted mattress pads so the measurements aren't accurate to the last nanometre - this is the result for a Vista suite on the Wind:

Each bed was 33" by 75", or approx. 85cm by 190cm

Thus the result with them together is sort of but not quite between a queen and a king at 66" by 75".

This doesn't fit with any standard mattress size - see the chart on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Each bed is somewhere between a British single and a Continental European small single (which would be most logical, of course) - on my next cruise I'll measure the bed frame too, I think - it's a TA so I'll have a few sea days ...

I do really have a life beyond the tape measure, but these little details pique my curiosity.

As promised, I did measure the beds altho' I didn't strip off the extremely comfortable quilted mattress pads so the measurements aren't accurate to the last nanometre - this is the result for a Vista suite on the Wind:

Each bed was 33" by 75", or approx. 85cm by 190cm

Thus the result with them together is sort of but not quite between a queen and a king at 66" by 75".

This doesn't fit with any standard mattress size - see the chart on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Each bed is somewhere between a British single and a Continental European small single (which would be most logical, of course) - on my next cruise I'll measure the bed frame too, I think - it's a TA so I'll have a few sea days ...

I do really have a life beyond the tape measure, but these little details pique my curiosity.

Thanks for taking the measurements, pleased to see my estimate was spot on. Perhaps someone out there will do the same for the Spirit.

Thanks for taking the measurements, pleased to see my estimate was spot on. Perhaps someone out there will do the same for the Spirit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1317609&page=2

"The beds were 76” (6’4”) long and 33” wide each, and with a “common top” above both (to make it one large bed) becoming 67” wide overall. There was a soft material “headboard” attached to the wall at the head of the bed. Also, there were two night tables, one on each side, at 17” x 15.5” and each with a wall mounted fluorescent lamp above controlled by a “wired” rocker switch placed on the night table. The clearance under the bed was 12”, enough to put carry-on sized luggage. "

We hope this helps.

So I have to spend $15K a week or so to get a king bed? I'm still amazed at the so-called 5 or 6-star lines don't offer king beds without renting an apartment to go with it, or they don't have them at all. How long would the Ritz Carlton stay in business if you had to book the Presidential Suite to get a king bed?

Edited by blizzardboy