Insurance

Solitarycruiser

I am on the Spirit on August 22 - Venice to Athens. Two questions: 1. Do I buy the insurance? and 2. I am not bringing a suit, just a sport jacket. Where can I eat dinner on Formal night?

Definitely buy medical and trip cancellation/interruption insurance. Never travel with out.

Insurance is a personal decision and it is all about the cost of the policy versus the risk of not having insurance. Think through what the implications would be should you have to cancel the cruise due to a medical issue inside the cancellation period and also think thought the cost implications should you have to be evacuated from the ship or should you incur high medical costs should you have a medical issue that your own policy does not cover.

And your current health means nothing. Things happen.

There is a web site http://www.insuremytrip.com which is easy to use and allows you to compare several plans.

Keith

You can dine in any restaurants other than the main dining room.

You can dine at Stars or La Terrazza with just a sport coat, and at The Grill without it. I'm not sure the same applies to Le Champagne or Seishin.

Will never go without insurance again. For our upcoming cruise I bought but not from Silversea. We had a cruise planned in February on Regent in South America. I had to have a simple vocal cord surgery before the cruise - no bigee EXCEPT that I got an infection that put me in the hospital with IV antibiotics continually. They told me I couldn't go on the cruise and I didn't have insurance. Lost the total cruise cost. I was really sad but it was a good thing I didn't - I was allergic to the antibiotics they prescribed and had hives for one week - all over. Just think of THAT on a cruise :eek: BTW, not a sickly person at all.

Admittedly when we first started cruising in 1994, and for the next 15 years, we didn't get insurance. All of our cruises were in the Caribbean, life was good, health was good, and we probably wrongly thought we could absorb the potential loss. Five years ago we started going to more distant destinations and not surprisingly it dawned on us we weren't as young nor quite as healthy and we had a lot more at risk. We insure now and probably should have always insured. Do it!

We had to leave the ship in Cadiz, Spain. My husband was admitted to hospital with heart failure - most unexpected and a condition which surprised us both. The insurance covered everything and even the lost days of cruising to Barbados. Better to be safe than sorry.