Msc Orchestra brief review, Genoa to Barbados

Jollyholidays

Really good cruise, the food, cleanliness, cabins all great. Staff were amazing. There is only one BUT we treated ourselves to Aurea package and loved the mytime dining and massage, most of all Top Sail 16 (adults only)with comfy sun beds, bar and fruit plates, big white towels. Until we reached Caribbean, it seemed anybody could stroll up and plonk down which meant some Aurea guests were unable to get a sun bed, worse time was when we saw a large group of people bring their own drinks up plus kids with toys charging round. We mentioned this to staff but was told they were only having a look? Really, for 2 hours? We complained to an Passing Officer and the kids left. On a previous cruise we were only allowed to look Deck 16 on an evening when the rope came down. Moan over. Tai Chi classes, brilliant, evening shows pretty good especially Spanish mother & son opera. We either walked or used Ho-Ho buses for European Islands,

Tenerife especially great the bus included free entrance into a massive water park, only about 20 people there. All the Caribbean islands had shared taxis/minivans to take on a tour and beach approx 20€/$ or beach only 8€/$. In St Lucia opted for the speedboat to the volcano/waterfall beach trip, brilliant. Again a locals trip. Any questions, will try and answer them

Hi, yes it was, 22 nights. Finished in Barbados, which I think the return journey starts from there in April.

I'm on the return journey B2B with the 14 night cruise round the islands the two weeks before, so I'd be interested in all the trips you did in the Caribbean. I've done all our European ports of call, as well as Barbados; Grenada; Guadeloupe; BVI; Antigua; St Kitts, St Maarten

But Trinidad; Dominica; Martinique; Dominican Rep. and St. Lucia will be new to us; so any info on trips would be appreciated.

Pete

I'm on the return journey B2B with the 14 night cruise round the islands the two weeks before, so I'd be interested in all the trips you did in the Caribbean. I've done all our European ports of call, as well as Barbados; Grenada; Guadeloupe; BVI; Antigua; St Kitts, St Maarten

But Trinidad; Dominica; Martinique; Dominican Rep. and St. Lucia will be new to us; so any info on trips would be appreciated.

Pete

Dominica it has to be http://www.bumpiingtours.com

We did this one!

ROSEAU VALLEY BEST (HIKE)

Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls.

Depending on how long the hikers take to the Middle Ham Falls, Morne Bruce can also be done.

The duration of this tour is about 5.5 - 6.5 hours, with about 2.5 hours walking, combined.

* Champagne Reef can also be done, once our guest wants to.

St Lucia - Everyone does http://www.cosol-tours.com and gets rave reviews but he now has so many on his tours that it is very much herded. When we saw the crowds flocking after him we decided to opt for http://www.spencerambrose.com - he was great and we did the West Coast Delight http://spencerambrose.com/island-tours/west-coast-island-delight/

haven't been to the rest of the ports that you haven't been!

Why not ask on the forum that you moderate on?

Edited by tomvet

Dominica it has to be http://www.bumpiingtours.com

We did this one!

ROSEAU VALLEY BEST (HIKE)

Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls.

Depending on how long the hikers take to the Middle Ham Falls, Morne Bruce can also be done.

The duration of this tour is about 5.5 - 6.5 hours, with about 2.5 hours walking, combined.

* Champagne Reef can also be done, once our guest wants to.

St Lucia - Everyone does http://www.cosol-tours.com and gets rave reviews but he now has so many on his tours that it is very much herded. When we saw the crowds flocking after him we decided to opt for http://www.spencerambrose.com - he was great and we did the West Coast Delight http://spencerambrose.com/island-tours/west-coast-island-delight/

haven't been to the rest of the ports that you haven't been!

Why not ask on the forum that you moderate on?

Thanks for the info Tom.

Dominica we have at max 7 hours so may not have time to do a 6.5 hr tour,

You know how short some of the stays in port MSC have from your own experience.

St. Lucia sounds good

in answer to your question

1) this is an MSC specific forum and very few "mates" go on/ have been on MSC

2) This is exact reverse cruise of my one on the same ship

3) SAVE THE BEST TILL LAST

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi Pete,

we did in order, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe,St Lucia, Barbados. we generally organise our own trips with locals in port, had good times sharing minibuses with people of other nationalities from sometimes other ships. As we are water enthusiasts most of our trips centred around swimming/snorkelling

MARTINIQUE turn left from Ship, follow signs past fort to next harbour, watch for giant Iguanas in grassy area on way to catch local ferry service to across the bay approx 30 minutes choice of two beaches, stay on ferry go to 2nd, nice beach with restaurants/bars, fairly quiet only 7 euros return, .

DOMINICA we did the the Msc trip, snorkelling, which was pretty good, as the guide could see we had experience was quite happy to let us go on our own provided we kept giving the "ok". Well worth it for the volcanic gas bubbles rising

ST LUCIA As mentioned earlier in the port all the port taxi/minibus drivers are touting a trip to volcano & waterfall & beach, on a road trip it's approx 2 hours to get there and 40$ each, entrances to sights on top. we opted for the fast modern speedboat which took 35 minutes, fantastic, into lovely bays where Film stars live , a taxi to waterfalls/volcano, with guide, then a private beach with hotel facilities. 70$ but included entrance fees to sight. Well worth it. The guy selling the trip is situated in the lovely port building near the exit, trip leaves at 10 back around 3.30. He will find you. Lol

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Not been on cruise there but a few times in hotels, one of my favourite Caribbean islands, beautiful beaches, clear sea, you will either dock in Puerto Plata where there is a free new waterpark for ships, easily get a taxi into town for cable car etc. Other port is a new one just built, at Bahia Mammon a bit further from Puerto Plata, can't comment on that till I go in May

Hope this is of some use

Sharon

Edited by Jollyholidays
Spelling error

Glad you enjoyed your cruise just 3 months now until Imleave for the reverse sailing. Unfortunately I just start in Barbados so won't have any other Caribbean stops.

btw what time were the dinner sittings on your cruise?

pEte for something a bit different in St Lucia, I found a great stables and went for a couple of hours ride past some lovely bays and landscapes. The even picked me up and took me back to the terminal. If you're interested, I'll have a poke around to find their details. I'm a fairly experienced if somewhat rusty and nervous rider but they cater for all levels.

Hi Pete,

we did in order, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe,St Lucia, Barbados. we generally organise our own trips with locals in port, had good times sharing minibuses with people of other nationalities from sometimes other ships. As we are water enthusiasts most of our trips centred around swimming/snorkelling

MARTINIQUE turn left from Ship, follow signs past fort to next harbour, watch for giant Iguanas in grassy area on way to catch local ferry service to across the bay approx 30 minutes choice of two beaches, stay on ferry go to 2nd, nice beach with restaurants/bars, fairly quiet only 7 euros return, .

DOMINICA we did the the Msc trip, snorkelling, which was pretty good, as the guide could see we had experience was quite happy to let us go on our own provided we kept giving the "ok". Well worth it for the volcanic gas bubbles rising

ST LUCIA As mentioned earlier in the port all the port taxi/minibus drivers are touting a trip to volcano & waterfall & beach, on a road trip it's approx 2 hours to get there and 40$ each, entrances to sights on top. we opted for the fast modern speedboat which took 35 minutes, fantastic, into lovely bays where Film stars live , a taxi to waterfalls/volcano, with guide, then a private beach with hotel facilities. 70$ but included entrance fees to sight. Well worth it. The guy selling the trip is situated in the lovely port building near the exit, trip leaves at 10 back around 3.30. He will find you. Lol

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Not been on cruise there but a few times in hotels, one of my favourite Caribbean islands, beautiful beaches, clear sea, you will either dock in Puerto Plata where there is a free new waterpark for ships, easily get a taxi into town for cable car etc. Other port is a new one just built, at Bahia Mammon a bit further from Puerto Plata, can't comment on that till I go in May

Hope this is of some use

Sharon

-

plucasana wrote:-

For St. Lucia I can recommend serenity tours! We went with them in 2013 so quite some time, but they were amazing!

Thank you both for the very valuable information, which I have printed off for use when we look at what we're doing at the various ports, and hope to have things sorted, in our minds at east,in the next couple of weeks.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Glad you enjoyed your cruise just 3 months now until Imleave for the reverse sailing. Unfortunately I just start in Barbados so won't have any other Caribbean stops.

btw what time were the dinner sittings on your cruise?

pEte for something a bit different in St Lucia, I found a great stables and went for a couple of hours ride past some lovely bays and landscapes. The even picked me up and took me back to the terminal. If you're interested, I'll have a poke around to find their details. I'm a fairly experienced if somewhat rusty and nervous rider but they cater for all levels.

I'm sure my wife could be interested as she did a lot of riding as a girl,

and I might try getting on a horse and trying a new experience, It would make a change from hurtling down a mountain on two planks of wood :D:D

So I would be delighted if you could look up the information for me

Pete

Nice to hear positive report on the MSC Orchestra, I will be sailing her in June for an Eastern Mediterranean tour...I can hardly wait!:D

I booked an aft cabin as I typically do so for other cruise ships. I heard some not so great feedback on noice during docking...but I think the trade-off with having an extra large balcony and a no obstruction view will be worth any noises....I usually get up early anyway so might come in as a handy wake up call.

Nice to hear positive report on the MSC Orchestra, I will be sailing her in June for an Eastern Mediterranean tour...I can hardly wait!:D

I booked an aft cabin as I typically do so for other cruise ships. I heard some not so great feedback on noice during docking...but I think the trade-off with having an extra large balcony and a no obstruction view will be worth any noises....I usually get up early anyway so might come in as a handy wake up call.

I've found that just about everywhere on the Musica (which is what orchestra is) and Lirica classes of ship get noise from the bow and stern thrusters when docking. It just a matter of degree and how you as an individual are affected by noise, some aren't troubled and others react badly. What will be more noticeable is the vibration the thrusters cause.

What will be more noticeable is the vibration the thrusters cause.

Which is during docking, correct? I've been a boat person all my life, so I think I will be in the "not bothered" group. :D

I have not been on the MSC line, but my parents (who are Italian, as am I) have, and they spoke highly of their experience. I don't think it will be much of a culture shock to us as it is to most Americans.

Which is during docking, correct? YES**

I've been a boat person all my life, so I think I will be in the "not bothered" group. :D

I have not been on the MSC line, but my parents (who are Italian, as am I) have, and they spoke highly of their experience. I don't think it will be much of a culture shock to us as it is to most Americans.

** Both during docking and when first moving away from the dock on sailaway.

Pete

PS I'm a quarter Italian (with an Italian surname), my grandfather was born in Trieste, And given my Wife is called ANDREA , it causes confusion when Andrea is a woman, as they always expect a man with that name..:confused: :D :D

Edited by Skier52

AmoMondo, the sittings were 6.30 and 9.15. The dining did take a long time to serve, so for the last week we ended up going to the self service, which I preferred as there was more choice. The stables you mentioned were in Puerto plata and run by a woman from Ilkley. If it's the same one, there was just the two of us with a guide, really good, lasted about 3 hours, iI can't remember the name but all the travel agents in that area use her.Not expensive.

Sharon

** Both during docking and when first moving away from the dock on sailaway.

Pete

PS I'm a quarter Italian (with an Italian surname), my grandfather was born in Trieste, And given my Wife is called ANDREA , it causes confusion when Andrea is a woman, as they always expect a man with that name..:confused: :D :D

Yes, with Bocelli being the most famous Andrea. lol

In the US, Andrea is definetly a woman's name.

AmoMondo, the sittings were 6.30 and 9.15. The dining did take a long time to serve, so for the last week we ended up going to the self service, which I preferred as there was more choice. The stables you mentioned were in Puerto plata and run by a woman from Ilkley. If it's the same one, there was just the two of us with a guide, really good, lasted about 3 hours, iI can't remember the name but all the travel agents in that area use her.Not expensive.

Sharon

Wow, 9:15 is a late dinner, I guess my DD will be taking a nap in the evening (as will I!) I suspect dinner will be late for a MED cruise as well. I think we will get a later seating.

I'm sure my wife could be interested as she did a lot of riding as a girl,

and I might try getting on a horse and trying a new experience, It would make a change from hurtling down a mountain on two planks of wood :D:D

So I would be delighted if you could look up the information for me

Pete

http://www.atlanticridingstables.com

They had not been in operation that long when I used them but they still seem to be going and doing well. rEcent TA scores look favourable as well.

Cost of the transfers from the port have risen from what I remember but it was a while ago!

When in June are you going? I'm booked for the sailing on 19 June, although may not go as I have 2 other lengthy cruises this year and may switch to a land based trip or 2 in the Med. (No reflection on the Orchestra though)

Sharon

Thanks Sharon. That's a fairly typical dining time for MSC if you exclude US sailings which are earlier. Sometimes on repos they are also a little earlier (8.30 for second). I've since second normally range from 8.45 to 9.45 stat time and I know it takes around 2 hours plus, sometimes longer if you have a fun table. Brazil is even worse at 10.30 start time!

The stables I used were Atlantic shores and it was run then by a couple of St Lucian men, so maybe not the same one.