Solo cruiser on Prinsendam

sagalady

Yes, I have been in Q100. Nice cabin for just one person. It is up front, so expect movement. I am not prone to sea sickness, but if you are, this is not the best cabin to book. The cabin has a nice window and is close by a door to the upper promenade deck. Not many passengers on deck at any time. From the outside, you cannot look into the cabin, since window has special coating. Be careful at night though.

I had more problems with the sound coming from the showroom at sea. The cabin is right above it! If you are an early sleaper, be prepared to hear a lot of bass, two shows most evenings. It was that loud I never had to go to the show itself to "enjoy" it. I was told HAL usually puts entertainment crew in this cabin.

Filling in the questionaire, I wrote that this cabin (and surrounding ones), needed a lot more insulation. HAL responded with: we will look into it. Probably not the first time such a remark was made.

Whatever cabin you choose, have a wonderful cruise. One day I would like to do it myself. Enjoy!

t is up front, so expect movement. I am not prone to sea sickness, but if you are, this is not the best cabin to book.
We had 303 on a T-A where we hit one pretty strong storm, and the ride was much better than I expected it to be up front. However, three decks lower than 100 we probably got less of the rolling component of motion than you did, and I am much more affected by rolling than pitching.

Recommend you check out other cabin categories due to above comments. When I checked cabins for the Grand Med, it was not much more for a more middle section cabin even with the 'evil' single rate fare. Do think it is weird that the single cabins are really not that much cheaper than a single in a regular cabin. You may do better with a cabin that was not near the show room or on the promenade deck as I love to leave my curtains open for morning sunlight but do not trust the coating (just my issue).

I am a bit prone to seasickness and you will rock and roll near the southern tip of So America and thru Drake's passage which you sail thru twice. We had really calm seas and clear weather when I did that cruise and I still popped my Dramamine just about every day with a middle section cabin.

Have a wonderful time on a great ship!

303 We had terrible loud banging in the morning while at sea. have no idea what it was but it was not pleasant. Did like the ship though. Also quite a few people had that cruise cough. (not the ship's fault) Someone brought it on at a previous port

Yes, I have been in Q100. Nice cabin for just one person. It is up front, so expect movement. I am not prone to sea sickness, but if you are, this is not the best cabin to book. The cabin has a nice window and is close by a door to the upper promenade deck. Not many passengers on deck at any time. From the outside, you cannot look into the cabin, since window has special coating. Be careful at night though.

I had more problems with the sound coming from the showroom at sea. The cabin is right above it! If you are an early sleaper, be prepared to hear a lot of bass, two shows most evenings. It was that loud I never had to go to the show itself to "enjoy" it. I was told HAL usually puts entertainment crew in this cabin.

Filling in the questionaire, I wrote that this cabin (and surrounding ones), needed a lot more insulation. HAL responded with: we will look into it. Probably not the first time such a remark was made.

Whatever cabin you choose, have a wonderful cruise. One day I would like to do it myself. Enjoy!

(bolding by me)

Just off the Prinsendam! We had a lovely cruise but can only second the warning about cabin 100. We were in cabin 102 right next door, which is a regular oceanview, well-laid out and comfortable and sometimes we were able to have a peek through the door of Q100 when the cabin attendants were making it up - it's not too big, but we saw a big comfortable (queen?) bed , for example.

But still - we had rather rough seas several days during our cruise and there was a lot of motion this far up and forward. So I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who is prone to queasiness in heavy seas.

But the worst was the daily noise coming through the floor and the vent in our cabin, starting with rehearsals right after lunch, sometimes the whole of the afternoon and through both the shows. Sometimes during rehearsal time the same song was played over and over again until we came to hate it thoroughly.

Starting the second day after embarkation we started to ask ( at first) and then after a few days to seriously complain about the daily noise - and we had a lot of sea days on this cruise. We had two versions of an answer from the front office: a) we'll look into it and call you back ( but of course nothing ever happened) or b) Oh, I'm so sorry, I really am sorry.

When , after two thirds of the cruise, I was so thoroughly fed up that I wrote a WRITTEN complaint, something happened at last: Somebody higher up on the food chain apologized ( again), offered us another cabin ( why four days till the end of the cruise and not at the beginning??) and promised less noise and no rehearsals in the afternoons. This was true, the last four days of our cruise ( 3 sea days again) was blessfully quiet. But I still don't understand how such a cabin as 100 or the one next to it can be sold as one of the higher OV categories and/ or without a word of warning.

So - beware of noise! If it doesn't trouble you - the one advantage of the cabin is the direct access to the deck - just slip out of the door next to you and you'll have beautiful views, just like on a huge and almost private balcony.

(bolding by me)

Just off the Prinsendam! We had a lovely cruise but can only second the warning about cabin 100. We were in cabin 102 right next door, which is a regular oceanview, well-laid out and comfortable and sometimes we were able to have a peek through the door of Q100 when the cabin attendants were making it up - it's not too big, but we saw a big comfortable (queen?) bed , for example.

But still - we had rather rough seas several days during our cruise and there was a lot of motion this far up and forward. So I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who is prone to queasiness in heavy seas.

But the worst was the daily noise coming through the floor and the vent in our cabin, starting with rehearsals right after lunch, sometimes the whole of the afternoon and through both the shows. Sometimes during rehearsal time the same song was played over and over again until we came to hate it thoroughly.

Starting the second day after embarkation we started to ask ( at first) and then after a few days to seriously complain about the daily noise - and we had a lot of sea days on this cruise. We had two versions of an answer from the front office: a) we'll look into it and call you back ( but of course nothing ever happened) or b) Oh, I'm so sorry, I really am sorry.

When , after two thirds of the cruise, I was so thoroughly fed up that I wrote a WRITTEN complaint, something happened at last: Somebody higher up on the food chain apologized ( again), offered us another cabin ( why four days till the end of the cruise and not at the beginning??) and promised less noise and no rehearsals in the afternoons. This was true, the last four days of our cruise ( 3 sea days again) was blessfully quiet. But I still don't understand how such a cabin as 100 or the one next to it can be sold as one of the higher OV categories and/ or without a word of warning.

So - beware of noise! If it doesn't trouble you - the one advantage of the cabin is the direct access to the deck - just slip out of the door next to you and you'll have beautiful views, just like on a huge and almost private balcony.

Thanks for this. It's something to think about. I have a Q guarantee for a British Isles cruise next year. The price I got is considerably lower than other cabins and I loved the location by the open deck. I don't sleep before midnight, so I don't think night shows will bother me, but I'm imagining day after day of rehearsals in the afternoon might become annoying. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

• 6 months later...