On the Freedom now - Doing circles in the Gulf

aggie182

26th. Our 7 day turned in to 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did they do on having enough supplies? The one time we were on a ship affected by a hurricane, we only had two extra days. I was discussing this with my DW yesterday, and she remembered that salads got smaller and there were a lot of shrimp. (She figured that they were better stocked with shrimp than other items.)

It's hard to imagine that the ship would start with enough of everything for a cruise that ended up almost twice the original number of days.

Aggie, you are an inspiration to EVERYONE! What an amazing and uplifting attitude.....when you received 'lemons' you truly made 'lemonade'.. how stupendous!

Please do update us once you arrive home - will be hoping and praying for you that you find everything just as you left it on the 26th!!! The best to you and your family!!

Galveston cruise cam shows the Freedom at the dock in Galveston now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How did they do on having enough supplies? The one time we were on a ship affected by a hurricane, we only had two extra days. I was discussing this with my DW yesterday, and she remembered that salads got smaller and there were a lot of shrimp. (She figured that they were better stocked with shrimp than other items.)

It's hard to imagine that the ship would start with enough of everything for a cruise that ended up almost twice the original number of days.

They resupplied at other ports.

House looks good. No damage from what we can tell. Whew. Thanks for the mojo and positive vibes. We're still under mandatory evacuation but the river isn't predicted to crest as high as they originally thought so we should hopefully be good.

So will you get credit for 13 days or for 7 days ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt they will get credit for 13 days..my guess would be the 7 days paid for, but time will tell.

This was asked of the Brand Ambassador the other day. He suggested they would get credit for the number of days spent on the ship.

House looks good. No damage from what we can tell. Whew. Thanks for the mojo and positive vibes. We're still under mandatory evacuation but the river isn't predicted to crest as high as they originally thought so we should hopefully be good.

Wonderful news! Hope your luck continues to stay good. Thank you again for such a wonderful attitude and showing us all the best way to deal with an unexpected situation and how a true Texan handles pressure :)

That's great news! Glad everything seems to be turning out ok for you! :)

For the people on the extended cruise, If you had the drink package, Did you get it for the whole time on the ship or did it end after the 7 days?

Your drink package ENDS on the amount of days you purchase it for.

Cruiselines aren't going to lose more money be letting people drink for free ( not buying drinks).

I was on a cruise once that was delayed getting into port by a hurricane before the last day and our purchased liquor bottles showed up outside our cabin the last night.

We did finish one off in 2 days while sailing around in circles.

My brother was supposed to be on the Breeze last Sunday. He spent most of the week in Galveston. They headed back to Dallas on Wednesday. Yesterday they received a call from Carnival offering them a free cruise on the Freedom this weekend. They are headed back to Galveston today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt they will get credit for 13 days..my guess would be the 7 days paid for, but time will tell.

The following used to be in the FAQ section of Carnival's website, but it appears to have been removed:

Q: If a cruise is cut short or extended for reasons out of the guests control, how many points will the guests earn since we are basing it on the actual number of days sailed?

A: As a gesture of goodwill we will never decrease the number of cruise days earned as a result of extenuated circumstances. In cases were an additional day is added we will increase the number of cruise days.

Due to fog, we were a day late returning to New Orleans, and received an extra day's VIFP credit. If you look at the Terms and Conditions for the VIFP program, they are only required to award points based on the scheduled days. It will be interesting to see how they handle this. I expect they will extend "a gesture of goodwill" as formerly stated in their FAQ.

I just looked and we got 13 points for the cruise. As far as Cheers went, it ended when it was supposed to and we could extend it day by day for the daily fee.

Aggie, welcome home and so glad to hear all is well on the Homefront. I have been so proud of our city and all the support we have given to each other. This was a very serious and scary storm that we didn't know would materialize. Your spirit and attitude is commendable. I am in the NW part of Houston and we had rain from Saturday night through Wednesday non stop. Although many people lost a lot of their material possessions, flooded homes, cars, etc, we still got up every day and tried to make the best of it. We will rebuild and be stronger than ever. I was fortunate to have never lost power or Internet and I escaped from watching the news for 6 straight days by coming on to CC to talk about cruising. Thank you for sharing your experience, carnival really took good care of everyone from what I can see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the extended Freedom cruise and received 13 VIFP points. I can confirm Cheers needed to be bought each day after the original 6 days (I did twice and my gf once), both members in the room weren't required to purchase it. Figured we didn't need it more since we were in NOLA.

Just amazed congrats OP. Today I received the weekly letter from a Cruise Business there and it was really something. The owner apologized for not talking travel on one letter...listed the direct employee affect and where they all were with their families and is doing a lot to help and listed 6 organizations for donations he trusted and said he would see that anything we mailed would get to a good place. You handled it well OP....and so many many have also who lost everything...I ached over the class in this letter...IDK if ok to mention other sales places..I have had another summer of terrible smoke and my dad's summer place across my state is ok but in peril. The smoke comes and goes but never gone and bad today and so very very dry..we have awesome fire fighters too...we are jut less people. Beef may be at a premium...not sure how close any ranches are to Houston...Godspeed..so happy for you...so proud of our country...so sad for those in loss and especially those in true peril.

Love your attitude, making the best of it. I'm glad you are enjoying your extended vacation! I would just comment that the reporting I have seen on CNN seems very accurate as best I can tell. I don't think they are being "dramatic" -- the situation itself is about as dramatic as you can imagine. I think they are just reporting what is happening, with lots of shots of the flooding and interviews with evacuees. Not sure what a "political spin" would be concerning the hurricane. So I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to over-indulge in the news, but I think the reporting has been pretty on-point if you do choose to watch.

Stay safe and best wishes that all is well at your home!

I was very disappointed to find out on our first CCL cruise that the main news provider on Carnival was CNN. I also find they are generally alarmist and put a negative political spin on everything they report on. Just awful.

House looks good. No damage from what we can tell.

Great! We escaped too. Our Houston house is off Space Center Blvd.

Spent the weekend cleaning out drywall and debris from a fellow Knights of Columbus brothers home on Taylor Lake. They got a foot of water, a lightening strike and roof leaks. Tonight they are back in.

Watching your Ags now.

UH Lettermen, Lifetime Member.