Miracle Mexican Riviera with Kids

Nic4

Hello, first time posting. My H and I are taking our girls on the 7 night Mexican Rivera cruise in July 2017. Our girls will be 14, 14, 12 and almost 4 when we sail. We have cruised from Jacksonville to the Bahamas twice before with the kids, but this will be a first for our 3 year old, who also has a moderate allergy to dairy. It's getting expensive quick between the cruise fare, airline tickets from seattle to LAX, transportation to and from the airport/cruise terminal and excursions. Few questions:

1) any cheaper options for transportation other the Carnival pre/post cruise transfers? We're looking at $360 for the 6 of us (round trip)

2) we are planning on the Pirate ship/beach day in Puerto Vallarta, but what should we do that's cheap in Cabo and Mazetlan?

3) how do we communicate with the wait staff about our little one's allergy? It's not so severe that contamination will be an issue, and we plan to bring lots of snacks for the trip.

Any other tips for this week long cruise with our brood would be appreciated! Thanks!

I can answer question nbr 1 - You can get a private van that holds 7 passengers from Primetime Shuttle from LAX to the Long Beach Carnival Cruise port for about $73.00 each way. I am doing this cruise in Feb and we are using Primetime. 1-800-Red-Vans is their phone nbr.

1) any cheaper options for transportation other the Carnival pre/post cruise transfers? We're looking at $360 for the 6 of us (round trip)

2) we are planning on the Pirate ship/beach day in Puerto Vallarta, but what should we do that's cheap in Cabo and Mazetlan?

There's lots of information and suggestions on the Mexican Riviera forum for your second question and the West Coast Departures forum is a great resource for your first question.

Hello, first time posting. My H and I are taking our girls on the 7 night Mexican Rivera cruise in July 2017. Our girls will be 14, 14, 12 and almost 4 when we sail. We have cruised from Jacksonville to the Bahamas twice before with the kids, but this will be a first for our 3 year old, who also has a moderate allergy to dairy. It's getting expensive quick between the cruise fare, airline tickets from seattle to LAX, transportation to and from the airport/cruise terminal and excursions. Few questions:

3) how do we communicate with the wait staff about our little one's allergy? It's not so severe that contamination will be an issue, and we plan to bring lots of snacks for the trip.

Any other tips for this week long cruise with our brood would be appreciated! Thanks!

Uber would be significantly cheaper. That's our plan for our April cruise.

I'd just like to remind folks that here in California, 4year olds need to be in car seats in taxis ,vans ,Uber/Lyft cars etc. The only place they don't need one is on a bus.

Some shuttle van companies may get you a car seat if you ask but Uber/Lyft cars don't have them.

Does Uber operate out of Orange County airport? First time flying in and wasn't sure if there are any restrictions.

Also, any guess what Uber ride would cost from Orange County airport to LB cruise terminal?

Edited by WuShox

Does Uber operate out of Orange County airport? First time flying in and wasn't sure if there are any restrictions.

Also, any guess what Uber ride would cost from Orange County airport to LB cruise terminal?

Yes you can from SNA. If you download the Uber app, it allows you to input the two addresses and it lets you know the specific prices for each vehicle. Keep in mind, during morning and afternoon rush hour it can cost significantly more.

Edited by Jeffy294

In July it will be pretty warm on the Riviera so you might consider some beach activities.

I'm a Stone Island advocate for a day in Mazatlan. It will cost you about $2pp for the water taxi then a free 15 minute walk down the beach to Lety's. Food and drink is very inexpensive and you can use their chairs and umbrellas for the day. You'd be living really large if you spent a hundred bucks for your team. You could spend a little more for horse rides, ATV's, banana boat, etc.

We're not really big on Cabo, but the ship stops, the tacos and beers are cheap and good, so we get off for a while. If the weather is not bad Cabo is very easy to walk around. Or you could grab a water taxi at the dock and ride over to medano beach. Cost is VERY negotiable for the water taxi, someone might chime in with an estimated cost.

Encourage your kids to get engaged in the ship youth programs. Half your trip will be on the ship, their engagement will give you some free time.

We did an UBER XL for 4 of us and luggage and it was $65 on way in December.

We are in the same boat, traveling with 3 kids so want to get the most bang for our buck but also don't want to miss out on anything that we should do.

Is whale watching worth it and where would you do it?

• 3 weeks later...

Cabo is not our favorite spot either (and will be there two days on our Feb cruise).

What we do in Cabo on the cheap is walk from the tender pier to the "locals beach" that is to the left of the harbor. I've heard the beach called a couple of different names--Cannery Beach (Playa Empacadora) and Playa Coral Negro.

We spend the morning there and then wander along the marina, eventually stopping at a cantina that's the next one past the old Wamango's--I think its called Karlito's Cantina.

The surf on Playa Coral Negros is calmer than on the Medano side. Beach is clean and quiet. Best part is that there are no hordes of locals selling you stuff like on Medano. However, there are no services or chairs. I believe there are porta potties. There have been thatch umbrellas. I've seen people snorkel along the rocks.

To get there, veer left once you exit the tender pier. On your right will be a Mercato, on the left the Sport Fishing pier. IN less than a block, you hit the boat ramp. Turn right to the hill (the only way to go). Follow that street (Finisterra) a block up to where it dead ends at Blvd. Paseo del la Marina. Turn left. Follow the street around the Naval base and it will dead end at the beach. The walk past the naval base can seem a bit "sketch" as my kids would say, but you are totally safe.

We usually set ourselves at the far end of the beach near the rocks.

Assuming this link works, the Marina is at the top and the beach is at the bottom right with what looks like brown balls on the beach.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cabo+San+Lucas,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@22.8798283,-109.9069895,1131a,20y,289.89h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x86af4af389e508a1:0x4ba4df62c1a2b868!8m2!3d22.8905327!4d-109.9167371

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to nuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

It's easy to avoid cheese in Mexican foods. Many time cheese/cream are used as garnishes.

Edited by SadieN

We're cruising on Miracle in 2 weeks.

Try Super Shuttle. Google them for discount codes first. Shared vans are the cheapest option, but may take longer to get the ship. Direct vans are more expensive, but will take you right to the ship/airport if time is of the essence.

Good luck.

A cheaper option is a touch convoluted. Only works if everyone takes nothing larger than a 22-24" case and a tote.

Take the Flyaway bus ($9pp) to Long Beach, then take the free Passport Bus to the Queen Mary. The ship is a two minute walk from the bus stop.

http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway/content.aspx?id=13015

http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

There is one cheaper option- taking LA public transportation. I don't recommend this for your situation but I believe you should know all the options available.

Shuttle to the Aviation Green Line Station, transfer to the Blue Line at Willowbrook to Long Beach Transit. Then take the Passport bus to the Queen Mary. But I wouldn't do it with a family. Metro.net ($1.75/pp+Tap card)

Edited by SadieN

We flew into LAX and sailed the Miracle last year. I used Ontime 1 (Ontime Transportation Network or something like that was their official name) for our transfer and for us they were great. Showed up early, nice vehicle, very courteous. I think for 6 of us it was around $65-$70.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Which sailing in July? We are on the 8th-15th, and we will be bringing our two kids--our son (15), and daughter (13--nearly 14)! If we are on the same ship they should get to know each other before!

• 6 months later...
I'd just like to remind folks that here in California, 4year olds need to be in car seats in taxis ,vans ,Uber/Lyft cars etc. The only place they don't need one is on a bus.

Some shuttle van companies may get you a car seat if you ask but Uber/Lyft cars don't have them.

Your right, we bought an inflatable booster seat for our 6.5 year old, it folds flat in the suitcase, about $40