Trip report -- Celebrity Millennium – Singapore to Hong Kong – Outstanding Cruise

BSinPNS

The crew was tremendous. The outgoing nature of the master, Captain Nikolaos Christodoulakis, was adopted by virtually all crew members from top to bottom. Even the steward relegated to cleaning the handrails in the stairwells took time to look at us and ask how we were enjoying the cruise. Senior officer were very visible around the ship talking with passengers, not just amongst themselves. The crew actively sought our feedback to help resolve any issues.

About us. Active 70-somethings who enjoy seeing different parts of the world and like the convenience of large ship cruising as a basis for exploring. This was our seventeenth cruise mostly with Celebrity and a few HAL and RCCL thrown in.

We did anytime dining and had the same great wait team, Carmo and Roel, every evening. One day my wife did not feel well and stayed aboard while I went with a group to Hanoi. Both of them were concerned that she was eating alone and one offered to sit with her until it got busy. She declined, but it was the thought. There were very good menu options every evening that included beef, pork, chicken, fish, lamb, veal and vegetarian. Usually we had to decide between two or three items that we would have liked. French Onion Soup, escargot, and Cesar salad were always available. There was always steak, but there were some additional new items rotating there also. One evening we were very late coming back and had a tasty Indian dish in Oceanview. Of course, Carmo and Roel wanted to know if there was a problem with the menu that evening.

We were in cabin 3114, one of the oceanviews added during a recent yard period. It was in very good condition and had a huge window since it formerly had been part of the conference area. Our room steward, Armando, always greeted us when he saw us and took care of our every need in the room.

Entertainment was very good with three cast shows and a variety of visiting entertainers ranging from singers to magicians. On most sea days, there was usually a matinee performance with two of the guest performers from previous evenings. The seven piece Celebrity orchestra provided live music to accompany all shows in the theatre. We particularly enjoyed guest lecturers, Francis O'Donnell and his presentation Retracing the Steps of Marco Polo and Ken Williams who provided lots of information about the sites we would be visiting. Trivia drew good sized audiences and was challenging. Cruise Director, Mark Western, did a great job coordinating all this and was visible around the ship and willing to talk. Captain’s Club host, Graeme Kelleher, was his usual upbeat talkative self while making the rounds to meet with everyone at Captain’s Club events. We even got to meet his wife, Amy, who is the stage manager onboard.

The ship itself was in superb condition for a piece of steel exposed to salt air for 17 years. The bosuns were busy caring for the exterior, chipping, priming and painting every day. If you wanted to find fault you could search and find some rust (but not much), furnishings that are not the latest style, etc. We really didn't have time for that.

We even found the Guest Relations staff to be friendly and helpful. Since we booked all private excursions, we did not deal with the excursions staff. We arrived early and were cleared early at each port and our travel group were among the first 20 or so off the ship. Even tendering in Halong Bay did not provide any problems with being off first to meet our guides.

Singapore. We arrived three days early and spent a day with Wei, from Indie Singapore touring Chinatown and Kampong Glam, areas we would not have attempted on our own. Singapore is very easy to tour on your own, but we found the insights Wei provided about his country and citizens quite valuable. The subway (MRT) is super-efficient with trains running every two minutes during rush hours and slowing to 4 to 5 minutes in off peak times.

Bangkok. Four of us toured with BKK Tours and had a great experience. Ms. Air was our guide and again provided an abundance of information. I am not sure how we saw so much in just two days including a 2.5 hour transit to/from the port. With the exception of our hotel, breakfast and dinner, everything was included – two boat rides, tuk-tuk ride, multiple temples and markets and so much more. Total cost was less than $200 per person. We pre-booked one night with the Hilton Millennium.

Vietnam – Saigon, Hue, Halong Bay, Hanoi. All booked with Handspan Tours. Transit time from the port to the cities ranged from 2.5 to 4+ hours each way. Driving in Vietnam is the craziest I have experienced. Most signs are advisory in nature (or at least that is how the locals view it). The law of gross tonnage applies – the bigger vehicle has the right of way even when passing with oncoming traffic. Be prepared or save your eye mask from the flight.

Hong Kong. Booked two days of tours and post-cruise hotel through China Odyssey, a private Chinese tour company that we used previously in Shanghai and Beijing. They provided Ms. Ceci Mak, an excellent guide who again provided lots of side information and visits to unusual places off the normal tourist route.

Guilin, China. We had been told of the beauty of the Li River Valley and rice terraces so we booked a three day trip from HKG to Guilin. China Odyssey provided all the arrangements including air travel, hotels, and an exceptional guide, Robin Shao.

As you can tell it was a wonderful trip which we will talk about for years. Please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to respond.

The crew was tremendous. The outgoing nature of the master, Captain Nikolaos Christodoulakis, was adopted by virtually all crew members from top to bottom. Even the steward relegated to cleaning the handrails in the stairwells took time to look at us and ask how we were enjoying the cruise. Senior officer were very visible around the ship talking with passengers, not just amongst themselves. The crew actively sought our feedback to help resolve any issues.

About us. Active 70-somethings who enjoy seeing different parts of the world and like the convenience of large ship cruising as a basis for exploring. This was our seventeenth cruise mostly with Celebrity and a few HAL and RCCL thrown in.

We did anytime dining and had the same great wait team, Carmo and Roel, every evening. One day my wife did not feel well and stayed aboard while I went with a group to Hanoi. Both of them were concerned that she was eating alone and one offered to sit with her until it got busy. She declined, but it was the thought. There were very good menu options every evening that included beef, pork, chicken, fish, lamb, veal and vegetarian. Usually we had to decide between two or three items that we would have liked. French Onion Soup, escargot, and Cesar salad were always available. There was always steak, but there were some additional new items rotating there also. One evening we were very late coming back and had a tasty Indian dish in Oceanview. Of course, Carmo and Roel wanted to know if there was a problem with the menu that evening.

We were in cabin 3114, one of the oceanviews added during a recent yard period. It was in very good condition and had a huge window since it formerly had been part of the conference area. Our room steward, Armando, always greeted us when he saw us and took care of our every need in the room.

Entertainment was very good with three cast shows and a variety of visiting entertainers ranging from singers to magicians. On most sea days, there was usually a matinee performance with two of the guest performers from previous evenings. The seven piece Celebrity orchestra provided live music to accompany all shows in the theatre. We particularly enjoyed guest lecturers, Francis O'Donnell and his presentation Retracing the Steps of Marco Polo and Ken Williams who provided lots of information about the sites we would be visiting. Trivia drew good sized audiences and was challenging. Cruise Director, Mark Western, did a great job coordinating all this and was visible around the ship and willing to talk. Captain’s Club host, Graeme Kelleher, was his usual upbeat talkative self while making the rounds to meet with everyone at Captain’s Club events. We even got to meet his wife, Amy, who is the stage manager onboard.

The ship itself was in superb condition for a piece of steel exposed to salt air for 17 years. The bosuns were busy caring for the exterior, chipping, priming and painting every day. If you wanted to find fault you could search and find some rust (but not much), furnishings that are not the latest style, etc. We really didn't have time for that.

We even found the Guest Relations staff to be friendly and helpful. Since we booked all private excursions, we did not deal with the excursions staff. We arrived early and were cleared early at each port and our travel group were among the first 20 or so off the ship. Even tendering in Halong Bay did not provide any problems with being off first to meet our guides.

Singapore. We arrived three days early and spent a day with Wei, from Indie Singapore touring Chinatown and Kampong Glam, areas we would not have attempted on our own. Singapore is very easy to tour on your own, but we found the insights Wei provided about his country and citizens quite valuable. The subway (MRT) is super-efficient with trains running every two minutes during rush hours and slowing to 4 to 5 minutes in off peak times.

Bangkok. Four of us toured with BKK Tours and had a great experience. Ms. Air was our guide and again provided an abundance of information. I am not sure how we saw so much in just two days including a 2.5 hour transit to/from the port. With the exception of our hotel, breakfast and dinner, everything was included – two boat rides, tuk-tuk ride, multiple temples and markets and so much more. Total cost was less than $200 per person. We pre-booked one night with the Hilton Millennium.

Vietnam – Saigon, Hue, Halong Bay, Hanoi. All booked with Handspan Tours. Transit time from the port to the cities ranged from 2.5 to 4+ hours each way. Driving in Vietnam is the craziest I have experienced. Most signs are advisory in nature (or at least that is how the locals view it). The law of gross tonnage applies – the bigger vehicle has the right of way even when passing with oncoming traffic. Be prepared or save your eye mask from the flight.

Hong Kong. Booked two days of tours and post-cruise hotel through China Odyssey, a private Chinese tour company that we used previously in Shanghai and Beijing. They provided Ms. Ceci Mak, an excellent guide who again provided lots of side information and visits to unusual places off the normal tourist route.

Guilin, China. We had been told of the beauty of the Li River Valley and rice terraces so we booked a three day trip from HKG to Guilin. China Odyssey provided all the arrangements including air travel, hotels, and an exceptional guide, Robin Shao.

As you can tell it was a wonderful trip which we will talk about for years. Please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to respond.

Thank you so much for posting this review. We are on her in February for the Pingxi Lantern Festival cruise and are so excited to visit Asia.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update!!...we are boarding on 4/8 to do HK to Tokyo!!..did you happen to notice where people might have been playing cards on sea days since there is no card room on board? LuAnn

Thanks for you upbeat review. We are sailing Mellennium next April, Shanghai to Tokyo and was a bit concerned about the age of ship. I'm delighted to hear she is in great condition. We are not concerned about the latest fashion and glitz, but clean and well maintained are important. Thanks again and glad you had a splendid time.

• 2 months later...

Hi there:

It would appear that we are doing this same cruise on December 10 out of Singapore and going on to Hong Kong. Your descriptions are perfect and we look forward to seeing and doing many of the same things.

Thank you for your great breakdown.

pennyndoug

Thank you for your very informative review. We just booked this same cruise for 3/02/19 and are relieved to hear that the Millennium is still in great shape, and the Captain and crew are topnotch! We will be looking into private tours for the same cities and your advice is very helpful. :)

Thank you for your review, especially your comments about the Millennium. We're doing the transpactific from Vancouver to Tokyo in September. We were in 3114 (at least I think it was 3114--it was the forward-most cabin in the corridor) on our Baltic cruise and loved the location and the huge window. I'm interested in the MDR servers, Carmo and Roel, who you mentioned. We like anytime dining and have had some great servers. Can you tell me more about Carmo and Roel? I know that they may not be a team and may not even be on the Millennium in September, but if they happen to be around, I'll request seats at their station.

Betsy

We did anytime dining and were assigned to their section and they provided us great service, talked with us during their slower times, but did not hover. Just great people and service.

Since we booked all private excursions, we did not deal with the excursions staff.

Thank you so much for sharing. We are doing the Pingxi Festival trip from Hong Kong to Singapore in 2019 and we are wondering how/where did you find local tour agencies for the land tours. We can probably do Hong Kong and Singapore on our own as I have been to Hong Kong more than 30 times and I am very familiar with Singapore. We will be needing local tour guides, with pick up from the ports in Vietnam and Thailand, and possibly Taiwan as well. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Pensacola (PNS), Florida and looked at going east via Miami and the desert (Emirates), but ultimately decided to stick with Delta where we have several benefits. PNS-ATL-NRT. The ATL-NRT (777) leg is 13+ hours with 1.5 hours connecting time in NRT. Didn't think I could face an 8.5 hour flight to Singapore after just getting off a 13+ hour flight. So we opted to spend a night at the Narita Hilton. Arriving in mid-afternoon, it was almost dinner time by the time we got checked in and cleaned up. Good dinner and restful night's sleep. Took the afternoon Delta flight (767) to Singapore arriving after midnight with a cab to the Hilton Singapore. Again, Hilton is our preferred chain because of the benefits. Returning home we flew from HKG to SEA (A330) to ATL (767) to PNS (757) departing HKG at noon and arriving home about 8:30PM same day. We use a TA to book the cruise, but book the air travel on the DL website.

We live in Pensacola (PNS), Florida and looked at going east via Miami and the desert (Emirates), but ultimately decided to stick with Delta where we have several benefits. PNS-ATL-NRT. The ATL-NRT (777) leg is 13+ hours with 1.5 hours connecting time in NRT. Didn't think I could face an 8.5 hour flight to Singapore after just getting off a 13+ hour flight. So we opted to spend a night at the Narita Hilton. Arriving in mid-afternoon, it was almost dinner time by the time we got checked in and cleaned up. Good dinner and restful night's sleep. Took the afternoon Delta flight (767) to Singapore arriving after midnight with a cab to the Hilton Singapore. Again, Hilton is our preferred chain because of the benefits. Returning home we flew from HKG to SEA (A330) to ATL (767) to PNS (757) departing HKG at noon and arriving home about 8:30PM same day. We use a TA to book the cruise, but book the air travel on the DL website.

Thank you! Thank you! This is great info!!!!! I was trying to figure out how all of this would work. We could fly out of Miami or Orlando.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for a great report. We are doing Millenium in February on the Pingtzi Lantern cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and are now looking at trips, trying to decide whether to do ship tours or private ones. Very much looking forward to it, our 12 th cruise but first with Celebrity

In Singapore we had a great time with Wei of Indie Singapore. Pricey, but we saw more in a day than we thought possible, plus we learned a lot about the country. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Make sure you have good walking shoes. (BTW, we are in our early 70's to give you an idea.) We thought he couldn't be beat, but arranged with BKK Tours in Bangkok for a two day sightseeing excursion. Ms. Air was the assigned guide who we subsequently learned was the co-owner of the company along with her husband, Michiel, a Dutchman. We overnighted at the Hilton Bangkok as we are Hilton frequent sleepers. We joined with another couple from Hawaii for this trip and were very comfortable in a mini-van with driver. He supplied us with damp cold towels and water every time we got in the van. We found four to be a good number as tour rates in Thailand are quite reasonable. BK only has three or four guides, so they can book out in advance. Vietnam was our least favorite country on this trip as most cities are 2-3 hours drive from the port. We joined another CC group booked with HandSpan. In retrospect, we all agreed that there must be better tour services. In Hong Kong we booked with China Odyssey Tours who we had used in Beijing and Shanghai. The highlight of the trip was our stay in Guilin. They arranged everything, flight, guides, drivers, hotels, etc. You get to pick the level of hotel. Based on our experiences with them, I would try them in Vietnam as they do tours there. With China Odyssey, there are no joined tours - it s your group and only your group. If you have any questions, please email at bshaw <at> uwf <dot> edu.

• 2 months later...

Thank you, BSinPNS, for sharing your experience with us. I have a question regarding Vietnam Trip. Do you know if Millenium offer a shuttle to Ba Ria or we have to buy one of their excursion? Thanks.