been years since we cruised! just booked on Carnival Freedom Oct 14th

got balcony room #8221 (8C) out of Galveston (key west & Bahamas)

I remember NOTHING from my cruising days! I used to know all the in's and outs!!

so, can y'all bring me up to speed??

this also is the first time we've been this far forward.

any tips/refreshers will be greatly appreciated!!

You cannot bring bottled water but can buy a 12 pk for $4.50. You can't bring bottled pop but can bring canned pop and 2 bottles of wine or a cardboard container of wine 1.5 liter. Wifi is much cheaper and faster! You can request morning or evening service. Those were the changes I found thus far as we haven't been on Carnival in awhile!

You can also request both am and pm service from cabin steward we did and got both with a smile. If you want ice in your room you will need to request that as well. Enjoy your cruise we loved the freedom crew and service were great.

You cannot bring bottled water but can buy a 12 pk for $4.50. You can't bring bottled pop but can bring canned pop and 2 bottles of wine or a cardboard container of wine 1.5 liter. Wifi is much cheaper and faster! You can request morning or evening service. Those were the changes I found thus far as we haven't been on Carnival in awhile!

WOW!! all that is new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's good news for the increase in wine allowed to be brought on board!

what is American Table? saw something that this is the new norm for every day MDR

The American Table is a new menu/concept with no tablecloth, bread is waiting at the table, and different food selections from the previous one. Some people love it but others hate it because some of their favorite items are no longer on the menu.

Also, there's the new Carnival Hub app that I think is their best new idea in ages. The app is free but for only $5 a week per device, you get the chat feature which allows you to text everyone in your party. No more trying to find where your family is, you can just text them. It has an interactive ships map, a list of places that are open to eat (and where they are), the daily schedule (fun times), you can view your account, view and purchase pictures, and lots of other stuff. You can also purchase wifi on the app for a reasonable price. For $4 per day (social plan) you get access to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and top airline websites. For $10.25 per day there's the Value plan you can access the Internet, check your emails, sports, weather, etc. For $14.88 per day you can get the Premium plan that says the internet is 3 times faster but it wasn't any faster than the Value plan for us. Btw, these prices are with the 15% discount they offer for buying it online now. This is the price they are currently offering me for our cruise in 3 weeks. Add 15% for buying it on the ship. They did offer a discount for the weekly purchase once we were on the ship last time. Don't know if they still do that.

Staggered Checkin is new- you select a time to check in at the terminal. That doesn't mean that's the time you board, it's just the time you'll be allowed into the terminal, through security and into the boarding lounge. However, by definition, the earlier you check in, the lower the boarding card # you'll get so the faster you'll get onboard. But because people aren't allowed in before their checkin time, things tend to go a lot faster, and once they start boarding apparently those with a noon or later checkin time barely wait- so they say!

Staggered checkin doesn't count for VIP cruisers- weddings, Diamond or Platinum cruisers, suites or FTTF. As soon as you get to the port you can check in, and you're the first ones (in the order listed above) to board once boarding starts.

Faster to the Fun (FTTF) is relatively new- for $69.99 per cabin (for a 7 day cruise) you get preferred checkin as described above... but you also get immediate access to your cabin as soon as you board so you can drop off all your carry-ons (otherwise you'll have to lug them around with you til about 1:30 on average), you'll get your luggage sooner (usually before muster drill), if you have tender ports you will get preferred tendering. But the item I love the most after early access to my cabin is access to the VIP line at Guest Services... if you've ever needed to go there for anything you know it can be a LONG wait!

One more thing- apparently mostly fleet-wide- they now punch your sail & sign card automatically to hang it from a lanyard. so feel free to bring your own to hang around your neck to keep track of your S&S card.

I remember NOTHING from my cruising days! I used to know all the in's and outs!!

The quality has gone down a lot but the prices have gone UP.

I've been on the Carnival Freedom twice and absolutely loved the crew. Beautiful ship. Loved everything. Things have definitely changed with Carnival. The faster to the fun is a great investment but you have to buy it quickly or it sells out. I always invested in going to the specialty restaurants. Worth the extra price. Bring a tervis/yeti with you and it really saves on getting water. We used them when we went to the buffets and it always stayed cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on the staggered boarding, when/how do you know your time? also, how can you get a hotel shuttle bus to coordinate with your time? back in the day, you just got on the bus that came to your hotel. if too many people, you waited for the next shuttle.

You should be able to select it online. Sometimes you can't if you book far out but three months out I would think you'd be able to.

• 3 weeks later...
on the staggered boarding, when/how do you know your time? also, how can you get a hotel shuttle bus to coordinate with your time? back in the day, you just got on the bus that came to your hotel. if too many people, you waited for the next shuttle.

You should see the check-in time options when you do your Online Check-in (print documents, etc.), it asks you to set your "arrival appointment".

Couple of quick clarifications:

1. That's one bottle of wine per person (two total for a couple).

2. FTTF cost depends on the length of the cruise. 4-5 day cruises is still $49.95. In any case, well worth it in my opinion. We just got off of the Aug 3-7 Conquest with FTTF with tremendous benefit. Priority check-in, early boarding, room ready upon boarding (11:15), early luggage delivery (our luggage was actually at the room when we got to the room). Priority tender, priority guest services.

You will have a blast. We just got off that ship and itinerary. I am writing a review about it check it out has lots of pics.

I didn't recall that FTTF had all those benefits!!

Cruisewithwife, I will be watching for your review. will you do it on this board? I will search for posts by you/your name

It is on the board already started and hopefully will add some more later tonight.