Just off Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise... ask me anything :)

Our family was just on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week out of Vancouver to Alaska. I'll be posting a full review but also wanted to offer to answer any questions anyone might have about this ship/itinerary/etc because so many people on this forum were so kind in helping us with all sorts of advice in advance of our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thoughts...

• how was embarkation?
    • what time did you arrive at the cruise terminal? Did you walk or taxi?
    • what time did you get onto the ship?

[*]how was debarkation?

• what time were you assigned to leave the ship?
    • how long did it take to reach the taxi line?

Thoughts...

•  
  • how was embarkation?

•  
    • what time did you arrive at the cruise terminal? Did you walk or taxi?

• what time did you get onto the ship?

[*]how was debarkation?

•  
    • what time were you assigned to leave the ship?

• how long did it take to reach the taxi line?

Embarkation was easy because we had a suite (there's a separate line that had no one waiting for the Neptune/Pinnacle Suites and 4 and 5 star Mariners). The other line was long but not ridiculous like we have seen at other ports. We arrived at 11am. Stayed at Fairmont waterfront across the street so just walked (Fairmont sends your bags over for you which is nice); cruise terminal was not too hectic even though three ships in port. We had to go through security and US immigration (Global Entry line was very short so be sure to look for that if you have GE as the regular line was pretty long) so all in all we were in our room before noon.

Debarkation was a little disorganized at the cruise port but not horrible (just a long squiggly line to walk out through customs but moved fast). We were told everyone had to be off ship by 9:30; we walked off at 9am and walked back to Fairmont with our bags because we didn't have too many suitcases and all had wheels. Porters were available for those who needed help. Did not notice how long the taxi line was.

Let me know if you think of anything else. Have fun!!!

How was the ship?:)

The ship was really nice. Obviously not brand new but everything was in good condition. The decor of the ship is very tasteful and contemporary with a New York theme. We liked that the main pool had a retractable roof so that guests could enjoy the pool even on cold or rainy days. The spa was also beautiful (you can buy a pass to use the spa even if you don't get a service which is really nice and relaxing with the steam rooms and hydrotherapy pool). The room used for both America's Test Kitchen by day and BB King by night was very comfortable and everyone enjoyed many shows there. There was norovirus on board last week which made them go into a "code red" situation; that did not affect us as no one we know became ill but is a good reminder to be very cognizant about hand washing with soap and water before eating instead of only using sanitizer.

Did you take the cooking class offered by America'S Test Kitchen? Wondered what the format was like and what the price was. Will be sailing on her in November and appreciate your information. Thanks!

We attended a dumpling themed class on a sea day. It was not hands on so it was like sitting in the live audience of a tv cooking show. The chef was great (very knowledgeable and engaging) and answered many questions from the audience. There was no cost to attend. I noticed complimentary chile, salmon and chocolate themed cooking shows on the daily programs but didn't notice anything that seemed hands on (which would presumably involve a fee and require a sign up). Maybe that wasn't offered on our sailing because of the code red for noro or maybe it was offered and I missed it? Have fun on your cruise! It's a great ship :)

Thank you for the information Suzanne, just reading the other questions that you have answered has been very informative. We sail on her Sept 16 out of Vancouver. I enjoy swimming and was not expecting the pool to be open at that time of year heading in that direction. Is the pool suitable for lap swims?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the information Suzanne, just reading the other questions that you have answered has been very informative. We sail on her Sept 16 out of Vancouver. I enjoy swimming and was not expecting the pool to be open at that time of year heading in that direction. Is the pool suitable for lap swims?

There were two pools... the main one is the one with the retractable roof (roof was closed all but one day last week) which is right in the center of the ship with three hottubs around it and is open to kids and a second pool that was outdoors designated for adults only with a few more hottubs (that one was next to the smoking area and the pizza quick service restaurant). I don't think either is large enough for proper laps but you could have a little mini-swim in the main pool year round if they use that roof. There were kids splashing around last week but by the time you go in Sept I think you should have very few kids on board as kids should be back in school by then. We were told that there were about 100 kids on board last week which is a lot for HAL but very few for a July Alaska cruise generally. If you enjoy the pool it may also be helpful to you to know in advance that there are a few cabanas that you can rent for $50/day at that main pool. I don't think you need one because there are usually plenty of lounge chairs but they have a view out to sea and someone to bring you drinks and fruit and lunch so it might be a nice treat on a sea day or the glacier bay day as it will be another place to view the beautiful scenery. We learned about this on embarkation day and booked two days which we enjoyed. There were also cabanas called "the retreat" elsewhere on a higher deck that one could rent but those were outside, not next to a pool, and seemed too cold for us Floridians so we didn't really check them out.

We will sail on her on October. Can't wait. I have more questions about the spa. I'm used to NCL and they have warm ceramic lounge chairs. I love them. Is there something similar on Niew Amsterdam? What is the hour of the spa?

Also, can you talk about the shows? do you remember the hour?

Thanks!

We will sail on her on October. Can't wait. I have more questions about the spa. I'm used to NCL and they have warm ceramic lounge chairs. I love them. Is there something similar on Niew Amsterdam? What is the hour of the spa?

Also, can you talk about the shows? do you remember the hour?

Thanks!

Yes! There are ceramic lounge chairs in the spa and they look out to the ocean. Very pretty. I don't recall the hours of the spa. Our favorite shows were the BBKing Blues Lounge and I think they were usually 2-3 times per night (45 minutes each show) but the times varied from night to night (for example they might do an 8:30 and then a 9:45 on the same night) but it was posted in the program for each day so you won't miss it. The shows in the theater I honestly didn't think were that great; some nights there was only one show at 9:30 and other nights two shows (maybe around 7 and 10pm but I'm not certain).

How was the food in the MDR? Did you go to Pinnacle or Tamarind?

Only went to MDR once (embarkation day lunch around 1pm); it was not crowded at that time and the service and food were good. The room was nicely decorated. I thought the portions were perfect for me but small compared to other cruises we've been on (had a small salad for app and a tuna tostada for entree which had one taco shell and about half a cup of tuna). Ate at Pinnacle and Tamarind for dinner and enjoyed both. The waitstaff at both were very experienced and friendly and the food was very good. At Pinnacle I would recommend the steaks and lamb and at Tamarind our family liked everything we ordered (except the sea bass which they kindly replaced for us) but especially the lobster, chicken curry and the lamb. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

No MDR on Gala nights? We will probably do those. Is Tamarind open or closed for lunch?

They had two gala nights in the MDR but we didn't go. Tamarind wasn't open for lunch on our cruise. I had heard from others on this board that Tamarind sometimes does a great dim sum lunch but it wasn't offered on our cruise. Pinnacle was open for lunch a few times on sea days for $10 extra charge but we didn't do that because we were at the pool (we rented a cabana and ate lunch in the cabana on sea days as the Lido was very crowded).

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to know more about the gala nights. What are they about? Are they worth it?

Just fancier/dressier evenings. No extra cost. Passengers dress up more for dinner on the gala nights than other nights and the food offerings in the main dining room are typically a little more upscale too (lobster, steak, baked Alaska type offerings). On the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska I didn't see passengers dressed up quite as fancy as on other itineraries we've been on (I'm guessing that is in part because of the colder weather and in part because of the limited suitcase space that many guests might have because one needs many layers for this itinerary such as coats, hats, gloves, sweaters, which may leave less room for gowns and suits). There were some ladies in sequined dresses and men in suits on our cruise on gala nights but the majority were dressed less fancy than that. Back in the old days when I cruised as a kid with my family I remember seeing many men wearing tuxedos and ladies wearing ball gowns but that was definitely not the norm on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Thank you for answering questions. It is very helpful. We sail her next September 1st on the Alaska inside passage cruise. Which days are the best for reserving the cabana? Also, which night(s) was the Galla dinner? I am trying to plan when to book the specialty restaurants. Thanks again!

Thank you for answering questions. It is very helpful. We sail her next September 1st on the Alaska inside passage cruise. Which days are the best for reserving the cabana? Also, which night(s) was the Galla dinner? I am trying to plan when to book the specialty restaurants. Thanks again!

If your itinerary is similar to ours (2 sea days total, plus Glacier bay, and stopping in ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) I would suggest renting the cabana on any of the sea days and/or Glacier bay day because you'll get more use than on the port days. Keep in mind that Glacier Bay day the boat doesn't dock so it's kind of a sea day... but with some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen. Any or all three of those days would be a good option for the cabana. Everyday of our cruise there were almost always loungers available around the pool (this ship didn't seem to have a culture of everyone hoarding tons of loungers by placing objects all over them early in the mornings) so I don't think the cabanas are a "must" but they were a nice treat as you could order drinks and lunch there instead of trying to find a table at the Lido which was way too busy on our sea days.

I think gala nights were 2nd night and last night of cruise (Sunday/Friday) but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else here on CC can correct me if my memory is failing me. It seemed that there was much availability on our cruise for specialty dining in the early part of the week and the last few nights were much busier in the specialty restaurants. On the first day of the cruise, there were Tamarind employees throughout the ship offering a discount if anyone was interested in dining there that evening (not sure if that's always the case but thought I would give you a head's up in case it's of interest). If you book specialty dining, swing by the restaurant in advance and try to request a window table (doesn't hurt to ask and more likely if you ask in advance I think) because the scenery in Alaska is so beautiful. We spotted whale tails from dinner two times!

I hope you enjoy!

If your itinerary is similar to ours (2 sea days total, plus Glacier bay, and stopping in ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) I would suggest renting the cabana on any of the sea days and/or Glacier bay day because you'll get more use than on the port days. Keep in mind that Glacier Bay day the boat doesn't dock so it's kind of a sea day... but with some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen. Any or all three of those days would be a good option for the cabana. Everyday of our cruise there were almost always loungers available around the pool (this ship didn't seem to have a culture of everyone hoarding tons of loungers by placing objects all over them early in the mornings) so I don't think the cabanas are a "must" but they were a nice treat as you could order drinks and lunch there instead of trying to find a table at the Lido which was way too busy on our sea days.

I think gala nights were 2nd night and last night of cruise (Sunday/Friday) but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else here on CC can correct me if my memory is failing me. It seemed that there was much availability on our cruise for specialty dining in the early part of the week and the last few nights were much busier in the specialty restaurants. On the first day of the cruise, there were Tamarind employees throughout the ship offering a discount if anyone was interested in dining there that evening (not sure if that's always the case but thought I would give you a head's up in case it's of interest). If you book specialty dining, swing by the restaurant in advance and try to request a window table (doesn't hurt to ask and more likely if you ask in advance I think) because the scenery in Alaska is so beautiful. We spotted whale tails from dinner two times!

I hope you enjoy!

Wow! Thank you for such detailed advice. It sounds like the same itinerary. Thank you! Any other suggestions or 'secrets' greatly appreciated. [emoji846]