Koningsdam, Rotterdam or Prinsendam

JanDom

:)Hello to all HAL-cruisers,

these days we are planning our next cruise vacation for May 2018.

We now have three ships and cruises in mind.

We don't know all of these ships...

The Koningsdam has a seven days itinerary to Norway

The Rotterdam a 14 days itinerary to Norway and

The Prinsemdam a 14 days itinerary to the British Islands.

We like all of these itinerarys and will book a balcony Cabin (Signature Suite) on The cruise.

Can you tell me something about these ships and which you prefer and why ?

Is there an advantage when booking on Board?

Thank you and greets from Germany

Janine

These 3 ships are VERY different.

First of all, there is no Signature Suite on the Rotterdam. None of the ships in that class have them.

The Koningsdam is still sparkling new with more bells and whistles than the other two.

The Rotterdam does have BBKings (and they were very good when we were on).

The Prinsendam is the OLDEST ship in the fleet with the fewest bells and whistles. Despite being the smallest in the fleet she does have Signature Suites.

Prinsendam is our favourite so far, followed by the Rotterdam but we have not sailed on the "King" (Koningsdam) at this stage. A lot of people have spoken quite favourably on the Koningsdam.

If you want "new and sparkly" then sail the Koningsdam.

If you like a taste of the cruise ship of yesteryear, and don't mind older then the other two will show you that.

I agree with kazu that these ships could not be more different.

The Koningsdam is the largest ship in the fleet, while the Prinsendam is the smallest; the Rotterdam is on the smaller end of "in the middle".

The Rotterdam is one of the two flagships in the fleet, and (at least) used to be quite elegant; I haven't sailed her in a good many years, so can't speak to how she is currently. Prinsendam is definitely elegant; I just disembarked her three weeks ago, so can attest to that one! Cabin, dining room, and Lido service were fabulous!

The Koningsdam is more of a modern design.

I would definitely recommend taking a longer cruise over the 7-day, since you are going a long way. Make the packing, long flights, and expense of air fare worth your while!

First of all, there is no Signature Suite on the Rotterdam. None of the ships in that class have them.

The Prinsendam is the OLDEST ship in the fleet with the fewest bells and whistles. Despite being the smallest in the fleet she does have Signature Suites.

Sorry for that :)

So on each ship we will book a Cabin with balcony :)

We sailed on Eurodam, Noordam, Zaandam and Statendam (before it was sailing to Australia) and we liked it all ;) even they are also totally different in the size.

since you are going a long way. Make the packing, long flights, and expense of air fare worth your while!

It is the first time for us, not going on a long flight before a cruise because we are from Germany. So this will be veeery new for us :) :)

We sailed on Eurodam, Noordam, Zaandam and Statendam (before it was sailing to Australia) and we liked it all ;) even they are also totally different in the size.

Did you have one of those you preferred?

Koningsdam is just a bit bigger than the Eurodam.

Rotterdam is about the same size as Statendam but I like her art more ;)

And, of course Prinsendam is smaller than all of them.

I was on Rotterdam in the Spring and found her crew good to very good, food very decent and enjoyed her.

I haven't been on Prinsendam in a few years but when I was I found it "a step up" from the other HAL ships. I consider RuthC's reporting to always be accurate so am encouraged that we will have the same experience when we sail on her again.

I find that usually Prinsendam and Rotterdam have more unique itineraries than what the Koningsdam or Eurodam will offer.

If you were happy on all of the ships you sailed, then take a look at itinerary, decide if you want to sail the newest, oldest or something in between and have fun on your cruise :)

Okay, I haven't been on the Konigsdam or the Prinsendam, but, we did sail on the Rotterdam to Norway this past May.

The Rotterdam was in fine shape (I think she has a dry dock scheduled for this fall) and her crew is wonderful.

Our only complaint was that we wish we had taken the 14 day cruise instead of the 7 day one.

Since you have done all these ships and liked them all, I would pick the itinerary you like the best...

I vote for the Prinsendam. Not only is it my favorite HAL ship but it's years are numbered and you should experience her at least once. I've sailed her 3 times and have 2 more booked.

Roy

Hi JD,

We liked the Rotterdam.

We will be going on the Koningsdam in 2019.

We have very fond memories of our voyages on the Prisendam.

My Lady Wife and I agree that we would choose the Prinsendam cruise around the British isles.

I suggest either an aft-facing cabin on the Promenade deck or one of the forward AA cabins on the Upper Promenade deck. The balconies are larger.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ira

On a 7-day cruise to Norway you'll only see the southern part of Norway, ok for first insights but not more. Having been to Norway and the British Isles numerous times ( one of the advantages of living in Europe and reaching Amsterdam easily by train :D ) I'd still vote for the longer cruises and the smaller ships.

We've sailed on Koningsdam both in regular balcony cabins and once in a Signature Suite - beautiful ship, modern and clean, well-laid out, good shows, great Lido Market concept etc. but I'd still choose the Prinsendam! We love her - small but well-maintained, absolutely great crew and unique itineraries.

If I were you I'd first try and decide if you're more interested in ship-life which might mean a vote either for the modern features of Koningsdam or the special features of Prinsendam like the stunning library or the friendliness of both crew and fellow passengers. It has never been as easy to join in a puzzle or meet new people as on Prinsendam.

My second consideration, if I were you, would be the itinerary: both the tour around the British Isles and the one to Norway on Rotterdam has its merits. So I'd first find out a bit more about the ports and the sights. You can't go wrong with either ship.

Enjoy your planning!

I have not sailed on the Koningsdam, but have sailed on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam.

In their own ways, I like them both! In my opinion, the Rotterdam, which was built for world cruising, ought to be STILL doing the world cruising. The art and decor are superior to the Amsterdam. (And, I like the Amsterdam.) The Prinsendam has her quirks which make her "special". My traveling companion and I booked a Signature Suite on her and truly enjoyed the room and amenities the Stateroom offered.

We have been on both Koningsdam (Adriatic 15 day) and Rotterdam (14day Norway). The Rotterdam cruise was in May this year from Rotterdam. This was the cruise that visited North Cape (Honningsvag). It was amazing to see the sun in the sky at midnight; to travel on the Flam railway; and visit Bryggen (Bergen). We plan to do the itinerary again in a year or two. The ship was in reasonable condition - our balcony had a lot of rust on the roof and walls and there were large rust flakes each morning on the balcony deck. The MDR was the calmest we have come across on HAL. We had As You Wish dining and never had a problem getting a table for two whenever we needed it. Entertainment was ok. The BB King band was outstanding and watching them play in the Crows Nest was 'different'. Vocalist Sonya Bennet-Brown is a star!

The Koningsdam cruise was in the Adriatic in April and was good. The ship was in great condition as it was only 1 year old. MDR was chaotic and noisy. Entertainment was better, but MDR food quality not as good as Rotterdam.

The Lido on Koningsdam was good and we ate evening meal there a lot as MDR was so chaotic and noisy.

Can't comment on Prinsendam. If I had to pick between the 14 day on Rotterdam and the 7 day on Koningsdam then Rotterdam would win hands down! Just take a couple of books to read and thank the EU for data roaming in Europe!!

(It's also a great sailaway from Rotterdam).

VMax1700's comment about food quality, maybe preparation? Whatever differences among the HAL ships in this area that I have sailed has to do with whom the ship's Executive Chef is. Not surprising: some are better than others.

Thank you all for the Great replys.

It seems like all of the ships are in a good shape!

Already decided, 7 days is to Short for a Cruise. So now we have the 19days Koninsdam from the mediterran to Norway, the 14 days Rotterdam to Norway (some of you did Already) and the 14 days Prinsendam to the British Islands ...

We will be on Board the Westerdam in October. Does HAL offer any benefits when booking on Board?

Is the Explore 4 offered in the USA these days (cause it is offered in Germany Right now).

Thank you

Thank you all for the Great replys.

It seems like all of the ships are in a good shape!

Already decided, 7 days is to Short for a Cruise. So now we have the 19days Koninsdam from the mediterran to Norway, the 14 days Rotterdam to Norway (some of you did Already) and the 14 days Prinsendam to the British Islands ...

We will be on Board the Westerdam in October. Does HAL offer any benefits when booking on Board?

Is the Explore 4 offered in the USA these days (cause it is offered in Germany Right now).

Thank you

(Bolding by me: )

It's not that much:

Double Onboard Credit, Explore 4 package for some ( not all) cruises - same rules are applied as for the German offer = so if, for example the US market were offered extra perks you wouldn't be able to get them.

The best feature right now in my opinion is the fact that you'll just pay for the Future Cruise Credit to book your cruise and are free to cancel up to 90 days before the cruise without losing your deposit which is usually not possible in your country. Example: Your cruise costs 5000 Euros p.p. for a 2-week's cruise - you only have a 75 Euros deposit p.p.via the FCD instead of 500 € as the regular 10% deposit.

On the other hand there's the possible disadvantage of rising prices if your cruise is too far into the future: Another example to explain: We'll board the Prinsendam in 2 week's time and will surely book one or two more cruise for late in the year 2018 or spring 2019 - that's far into the future and the onboard booking rules help us not endangering a high deposit. And if the rules have not changed in the meantime: the Future Cruise deposits are still refundable whereas the usual deposits ( in Germany) are not.

On the other hand I might book now if my future cruise where I'd be able to book the new one(s) is in the fall or even later because there might be a price hike until then and more would be lost by waiting, especially if it's a cruise that will surely sell well.

We still have one FCD per Person.

So it seems the only extra perk on Board will be the double OBC.

So I think if we choosed a cruise before our Westerdam departure, we will use them instead of waiting ...

Thanks

We have been on both Koningsdam (Adriatic 15 day) and Rotterdam (14day Norway). The Rotterdam cruise was in May this year from Rotterdam. This was the cruise that visited North Cape (Honningsvag). It was amazing to see the sun in the sky at midnight; to travel on the Flam railway; and visit Bryggen (Bergen). We plan to do the itinerary again in a year or two. The ship was in reasonable condition - our balcony had a lot of rust on the roof and walls and there were large rust flakes each morning on the balcony deck. The MDR was the calmest we have come across on HAL. We had As You Wish dining and never had a problem getting a table for two whenever we needed it. Entertainment was ok. The BB King band was outstanding and watching them play in the Crows Nest was 'different'. Vocalist Sonya Bennet-Brown is a star!

The Koningsdam cruise was in the Adriatic in April and was good. The ship was in great condition as it was only 1 year old. MDR was chaotic and noisy. Entertainment was better, but MDR food quality not as good as Rotterdam.

The Lido on Koningsdam was good and we ate evening meal there a lot as MDR was so chaotic and noisy.

Can't comment on Prinsendam. If I had to pick between the 14 day on Rotterdam and the 7 day on Koningsdam then Rotterdam would win hands down! Just take a couple of books to read and thank the EU for data roaming in Europe!!

(It's also a great sailaway from Rotterdam).

Hi.

We just decided we will do. the Rotterdam in May to Norway.

Same Trip you did this year!

We think of booking an aft cabin to have a nice look at the Fjords...

Deck 7 will be under the Retreat, Deck 6 above the Diningroom Room...which one will be the better Choice?

Greets from Germany to Ireland :)

Maybe anyone else has an idea?

Thank you

Janine

Hi.

Deck 7 will be under the Retreat, Deck 6 above the Diningroom Room...which one will be the better Choice?

Thank you

Janine

I spent 90 days on the Rotterdam 18 months ago and loved every minute of it. When do you board the Westerdam? I board on 2 October all the way to Lauderdale, and I always look for opportunities to practice my German.

Hi.

Thank you

Janine

Hi Janine,

We were in cabin 6194 on port side, between mid and rear of the ship. I know that some cruisers like the aft cabins however the only aft we have used was on the Koningsdam and we would not go for an aft again. Soot and oily residue on the deck each morning. Noise from the wash quite loud. As regards the fjords, the Captain opened the bow section for the sailaway from the fjords and the viewing and photo opportunities were amazing. In my view so much better than seeing 'where you have been'!

Are you planning to travel by car to Rotterdam?

Although not officially in EU, our mobile phone company includes Norway in its free EU roaming plan, so check your phone company.

I spent 90 days on the Rotterdam 18 months ago and loved every minute of it. When do you board the Westerdam? I board on 2 October all the way to Lauderdale, and I always look for opportunities to practice my German.

We will be on the Westerdam from 14th until 26th of October from Venice to Civitaveccia, so part of your Cruise!

Hope we will see us there!

Hi Janine,

We were in cabin 6194 on port side, between mid and rear of the ship. I know that some cruisers like the aft cabins however the only aft we have used was on the Koningsdam and we would not go for an aft again. Soot and oily residue on the deck each morning. Noise from the wash quite loud. As regards the fjords, the Captain opened the bow section for the sailaway from the fjords and the viewing and photo opportunities were amazing. In my view so much better than seeing 'where you have been'!

Are you planning to travel by car to Rotterdam?

Although not officially in EU, our mobile phone company includes Norway in its free EU roaming plan, so check your phone company.

Thank you.

We don't know yet, how to Travel to Rotterdam.

Maybe we will go by car or we will go by Train...

At the end we will stay one night in Rotterdam and maybe before the cruise one night also, or maybe in Amsterdam...