What is the best beach day on Fiji and New Caledonia cruise?

TxnAquarian

We are heading out on a 12-day cruise visiting Noumea, Lifou, Lautoka, Suva and Isle of Pines. We are not big beach people, but definitely want to do one beach day on this cruise. Of these ports, which would offer the most memorable beach experience? Celebrity offers an excursion to Amedee Lighthouse while in Noumea, but I'm not sure if that would be the best of the best. Thanks for any information!

Michael

Lifou and Isle of Pines are both beach spots. They are both tender ports. At Lifou you can swim and snorkel and also take a tour with the Locals to the other side of the island for around $20. Isle of Pines you are dropped at a beautiful beach where you can also do a tour to the Natural Aquarium. There is also some local food stores selling food . I can definitely recommend the Nems French Spring Rolls and the cakes. When we were in Noumea in November they were running the Amedee Lighthouse Tour but the lighthouse itself was closed for renovations. You also have the option of the Hop On bus for $ 10 go to the Aquarium and stop at Lemon Bay for a swim on the way back

Just a note on Lifou. There is superb snorkelling is at Jinek Bay, a short and pleasant walf from where the tenders operate. However this isn't a beach per se, so no casual swimming, and there isn't much for non-snorkellers enjoy there.

There is a lovely beach next to the wharf but I don't know if it is good for snorkelling. There is also a small market there, and food stalls.

What we're planning to do is go over to Jinek Bay in the morning so I can snorkel - DH doesn't enjoy snorkelling so will just sit under a tree and read. Then we'll go back to the main beach for lunch and swimming.

We have enjoyed NEMs in several ports. They are deep fried crepe rolls sometimes with chicken noodles and spices. In Noumea we buy them at local bakery type shops for 150 PDFs. At the Isle of Pines of the French lady over near the sacred rock for $3Ad. At Vila a new 3 story place in the centre of town behind the Markets.I am looking forward to some next month when we cruise again.

We have enjoyed NEMs in several ports. They are deep fried crepe rolls sometimes with chicken noodles and spices. In Noumea we buy them at local bakery type shops for 150 PDFs. At the Isle of Pines of the French lady over near the sacred rock for $3Ad. At Vila a new 3 story place in the centre of town behind the Markets.I am looking forward to some next month when we cruise again.

Sounds interesting. When we get to the Isle of Pines on our upcoming cruise I shall have to look out for the French lady near the sacred rock and try one. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to all of those, but Isle of Pines is just stunning. It's not the beach right where the ship is, it's just on the other side of the road from that beach, when you get off follow most of the passengers just up the road a little and head towards the large sacred rock (coming out of the ocean). We went past the sacred rock along the beach and found a nice quiet spot. It was heaven.

In Noumea we did the hop on hop off bus and stopped at Lemon beach which was pleasant and calm, although on a busy road. There was some shade under the trees on the grassy bank. Recommend take water shoes. If I went again I would take the hoho bus to duck island. They drop you off where you get a water taxi type thing. I heard really good stories about the snorkelling and facilities there and much cheaper than the ship's excursions to an island, especially at Oceania prices.

• 3 months later...

TxnAquarian - did you already take this cruise or is it in 2016? If you've done it, please post back with what you found on each island. We are doing the same 12-day itinerary on Celebrity in March 0f 2016.