How in your face do you think Star wars will be?

Susiecruisey

I booked my 1st Disney cruise and then the same day the announced the SW cruise and it is on my cruise. I am NOT a SW fan how in your face do you think it will be?

I paid a pretty good rate $4800 for 3 of us in a 4E and now the same cabin is over $7500.

I want my 1st Disney cruise to be good,,....What can I expect?

My two cents,

I think it could be quite overwhelming for anyone not into Star Wars.

I would expect to see a lot of references to Star Wars in the shows (think game shows, quizzes), announcements, possibly some decorations in the atrium, movies shown on the Funnelvision screen, and possibly a lot of Guests dressed up, and even maybe the Fab 5 in special costumes.

The shows in the WDT would stay the same.

Given the hype around the themed cruises, I would expect DCL to go all in to create more hype for similar cruises in the future.

Sorry, I guess thats not what you wanted to hear, but that is my prediction.

ex techie

According to the DCL web site, it is one day out of your 7 day cruise. They may be learning that while the themed cruises do attract a certain audience, they also "turn off" people who may like the dates but not the theme. Below is from the DCL site.

Star Wars Day at Sea

One Epic Day, 8 Select Sailings

In early 2016, Disney Cruise Line guests can celebrate the legendary adventures and iconic characters of the Star Wars saga during a brand-new event of galactic proportions: Stars Wars Day at Sea. Marking the first official appearance of the heroes and villains of Star Wars aboard a Disney Cruise Line ship, Star Wars Day at Sea combines the power of the Force and the magic of Disney—for a day of fun more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Star Wars Day at Sea will transport guests to a "galaxy" far, far away—in the Western Caribbean. The event features a full day of Star Wars celebrations, including:

Deck party celebration

Meet-and-greets with favorite Star Wars Characters

Star Wars-themed activities for younglings of all ages

Out-of-this-world food and beverage offerings

Exclusive merchandise

And more

With the only at-sea screenings of Episode VII, this event will thrill Padawans (Jedi in training) and Jedi Masters in every family. It is ... your destiny.

SAIL DATES:

Star Wars Day at Sea will be available only aboard the Disney Fantasy on select Western Caribbean sailings, January through April in 2016. Star Wars Day at Sea will take place during cruises departing on the following dates:

January 9

January 23

February 6

February 20

March 5

March 19

April 2

April 16

The Star Wars Day at Sea is a one-day extravaganza during your cruise. For the rest of your voyage, you'll enjoy the jam-packed itinerary of excitement and adventure you can only get from a Disney Cruise Line sailing. From Broadway-style shows and innovative dining, to a fun-filled visit to the private island paradise of Castaway Cay!

Entertainment and events are subject to change without notice. Merchandise offerings available while supplies la

The main focus as noted will be one day, but I would expect to see decorations, etc throughout the cruise, but not very obtrusive. As noted, I might expect to see more related movies and cartoons on the big screen and Star Wars trivia and the like. I'd also expect to see some meet and greets, etc

The bigger issue may be your fellow passengers. I have heard of many Star Wars obsessed fans planning on booking these cruises who will be decorating their cabin doors, wearing costumes, etc, and I do not think THEY will limit to one day...

This is the first year they have done it, so I also expect adjustments, etc.

One thing to think of, if air fare is not booked. Demand for these cruises is VERY high. I am sure Disney would be happy to switch your $4800 cabin to a different itinerary and sell that cabin for $7500.

The main focus as noted will be one day, but I would expect to see decorations, etc throughout the cruise, but not very obtrusive. As noted, I might expect to see more related movies and cartoons on the big screen and Star Wars trivia and the like. I'd also expect to see some meet and greets, etc

The bigger issue may be your fellow passengers. I have heard of many Star Wars obsessed fans planning on booking these cruises who will be decorating their cabin doors, wearing costumes, etc, and I do not think THEY will limit to one day...

One thing to think of, if air fare is not booked. Demand for these cruises is VERY high. I am sure Disney would be happy to switch your $4800 cabin to a different itinerary and sell that cabin for $7500.

Well we booked for my daughters spring break its the only week we can go.

Yes, the guest factor could be huge. Sorry.

We were at WDW over one of the Star Wars weekends last year (having done one many years ago). Because one of our family members requires a wheelchair, we decided to skip Studios. The event would have been fun and was something she wanted to do, but fear of bumping into someone with the chair or someone knocking the chair over and causing further injury, etc. caused the person who most wanted to go to decide that the crowds made it not a good idea.

I don't think you'll have any issues with the DCL part of it. The guest part could be another matter.

I don't know if this will help but several years ago we found out that our Celebrity cruise was to have a Star Wars "Convention" on board.

I was really worried about their group pushing us out of venues and being really obvious on board.

As it turned out they were totally unobtrusive.

They had lots of events in private rooms but large public areas were almost always open to everyone and we only saw a smattering of costumes (except for one couple who must have thought they were transported to a space ship and dressed up the entire cruise).

I don't know if Disney will attract a different clientele but based on our experience I wouldn't be too worried.

This statement at the end of the announcement:

The Star Wars Day at Sea is a one-day extravaganza during your cruise. For the rest of your voyage, you'll enjoy the jam-packed itinerary of excitement and adventure you can only get from a Disney Cruise Line sailing. From Broadway-style shows and innovative dining, to a fun-filled visit to the private island paradise of Castaway Cay!

seems to say that they have taken concerns such as yours into account.

Here's some more info in addition to that provided by Moki'smommy.

Force-filled Fun for Everyone

Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers and other characters from across the Star Wars galaxy will be onboard for scheduled meet and greets, as well as roaming on deck and elsewhere around the ship. You’re also encouraged to dress up in your own stellar costumes!

A shipboard version of the popular Jedi Training Academy experience invites young Jedi hopefuls – known as “Padawans” – to learn lightsaber moves from a Jedi Master. They can then use the Force and face off in a final test against the evil Darth Vader.

Kids and families enjoy friendly competition during Star Wars trivia games, covering fun facts from the film and television sagas.

For Younglings, Star Wars-themed arts and crafts, games and activities will be offered throughout the day in Oceaneer Club and Oceaneer Lab youth clubs.

In the evening, adults entering the night club will feel like they stepped into the Mos Eisley cantina scene. Characters and cantina music set the mood as Star Wars-themed specialty cocktails are served.

Film Screenings and Celebrities

You can watch the first six Star Wars films and follow Darth Vader, Obi Wan Kenobi, Luke and Leia along their epic journey.

Also showing will be episodes of the new Disney XD animated series, Star Wars Rebels.

On each of the special sailings, celebrities and insiders from the Star Wars galaxy will share their experiences, meet fans and sign autographs.

Star Wars Deck Party and Fireworks

There’s intergalactic fun when the Star Wars deck party blasts off to an exciting evening filled with music, dancing and games.

Star Wars characters converge on the deck stage for a celebration of the Star Wars saga in a show featuring special effects and guest participation.

The deck party culminates in a spectacular display of themed pyrotechnics, lighting, sound effects, lasers and Star Wars music.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/star-wars-day-at-sea-on-the-disney-fantasy-to-feature-deck-party-characters-film-screenings-celebrities-and-more/

I wonder if the regular Pirates deck party will be forfeited for the Star Wars deck party or if it is in addition?

ex techie

Here's some more info in addition to that provided by Moki'smommy.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/star-wars-day-at-sea-on-the-disney-fantasy-to-feature-deck-party-characters-film-screenings-celebrities-and-more/

I wonder if the regular Pirates deck party will be forfeited for the Star Wars deck party or if it is in addition?

ex techie

I don't know, but the Frozen themed cruises have that as an addition to pirate night, not "instead of" at least on the longer cruises.

I don't know' date=' but the Frozen themed cruises have that as an addition to pirate night, not "instead of" at least on the longer cruises.[/quote']

Yes I believe I've read that is true on the 8+ night voyages, but not for the 7 night Fiords and Alaskan cruises. There doesn't seem to me enough time on a 7 night Western Carib cruise to squeeze in two themed deck party's and a Formal and Semi Formal night as well?

ex techie

Yes I believe I've read that is true on the 8+ night voyages, but not for the 7 night Fiords and Alaskan cruises. There doesn't seem to me enough time on a 7 night Western Carib cruise to squeeze in two themed deck party's and a Formal and Semi Formal night as well?

ex techie

Someone on my cruise seems to think there will be. We do have three sea days, so I'd say it's possible?

Last week's Norway cruise had Pirate deck party AND Frozen deck party. Frozen day included other activities as well.

Thats good to hear.

I guess time will tell if they manage to squeeze it all in on a 7 night Western.

Probably drop the Semi Formal night to enable people to dress up in Star Wars or Pirate garb on one of the 3 sea days?

ex techie

I have been really torn about this announcement. I am a huge Star Wars fan and a huge Disney fan. However, I really am struggling with Star Wars on a cruise ship. It just seems so out of place. It would be like moving Star Wars weekends to the Magic Kingdom. It just doesnt fit. As you all said, customer feedback will determine the outcome in the end.

I definitely agree that it will be the fellow guests that will go all-out. This is different from a "fan convention" onboard which would be more of a charter or a group that booked a block of cabins and meeting rooms.

I don't know that decorations will be anything huge as I don't see them leaving them up for the non-Star Wars weeks (I know I would complain if I was on a non-Star Wars week and there was Star Wars crap all over the place (I am also very much NOT a fan if you couldn't tell - I saw the original three movies and got over them...no desire to see the more recent ones at all), and I don't see them putting in the hours with everything else they have to do on turnaround days to be putting up and taking down every week.

As a teacher I am also limited by school breaks - while I ended up canceling what I had booked for various reasons, I had initially booked the Wonder for Winter Break because that week was a Star Wars week on the Fantasy, so if it really worries you I would look at the other itineraries and ships to see if one of those would work for you. Luckily my Spring Break falls after the last Star Wars cruise, so that is still a possibility depending on other possible plans.

DCL has no history of leaving decorations up beyond any "special" cruise. They do, in some cases, start placing them before the specialty cruises so that the ship is completely decorated at the start of the season. The best example of this is Christmas, now called Very Merrytime cruises. The decorations actually start going up about 2 weeks ahead (gingerbread house building) and increase as the first holiday cruise nears. The decorations are removed beginning about midnight on the last night of the New Years cruise. If you board the ship for the first cruise after the holiday (which I have done), there is no sign of the elaborate decorations which were in place only 12 hours before.

For lesser celebrations, the decorations do not appear until the specific designated cruise. Since Star Wars is designated as a DAY, I would expect the decorations to appear only on those cruises.

We are on one of these cruises and the people in our cruise group are ready to go all out based on the fb posts.

This is what I expected. Guest's dressed up all week long, either in full costume, or in heavily themed Star Wars attire.

And for those Guest's that have paid a hefty premium to sail on this cruise, even those it is advertised as one day, I would hazard a guess that there would be Star Wars theming in the terminal, maybe even Darth and or Troopers mingling to hype everyone on this cruise up for what is to come.

Although advertised as just one day, I really can't see it just being a one day thing, and the hype leading up "to the day" will be massive, and continue until the cruise finishes. References to "the day" WILL be mentioned repeatedly before, and they will hype it up as much as possible. Think Darth voices making PA announcements etc.

I may be wrong, I have been in the past, but I would expect these cruises to get even more and more Star Wars intensive as they go on to recognise the fandom of Star Wars that is pretty much equal to the fandom to Disney.

If I were the OP and on this cruise without a desire to cruise on a Star Wars themed cruise (with I think it will be, and not just in your face one day), I would switch cruises, or cancel and cruise with another line and cruise DCL another time.

WrittenOnYourHeart,

If they have decorations up that are quite extensive, they will have a crew from shoreside come aboard to install them whilst the ship is in PC and Guests are off the ship and vice versa to remove them when the ship has returned to PC before the next Guests board. Same as for any other holiday celebration. (July 4th excepted)

They have a laser show, and new pyro show for the Deck Stage celebration, so they are spending a lot of money on this one day gig.

ex techie

Based on how these cruises have booked up since the star wars were announced I would expect more rather than less Star Wars theming.

Me too!

And the cruise line always has the right to change pretty much anything at anytime at their will or desire.

ex techie

My understanding from fb posts is that this is a one time event for the posted dates only. However if it goes over well DSL might change their minds. My sister and I are on the first Star Wars cruise and we were assured that there would be a pirate night also, but fireworks will be Star Wars night only!

I am worried about this is as well. We are indifferent about Star Wars. One day on the cruise will be fine since I assume we can avoid most of the festivities if we so choose. If it takes over the entire cruise we would be very unhappy.