Palo tipping

briehon

Having dinner and brunch at Palo on the Magic this Christmas. Besides the auto gratuity on drinks, do I tip or is that covered by up charge? How much do I tip if not and can I use cash or do I have to charge to my on board account??

Having dinner and brunch at Palo on the Magic this Christmas. Besides the auto gratuity on drinks, do I tip or is that covered by up charge? How much do I tip if not and can I use cash or do I have to charge to my on board account??

You may tip, or not, as you wish. Time was that the upcharge may have included a little gratuity for the servers (never confirmed by DCL), but now it's still not clear whether any of the upcharge goes to the servers.

We always tip "additionally". You can use cash, or add it to your onboard account by writing it in on the charge slip you sign at the end of the meal.

We always tip in Palo at 20%+ based on what we feel the value of the meal would be in a fine dining restaurant. This "value", in our view, exceeds what the up-charge is for Palo. I am not suggesting Disney charge any more than they already are given a cruise should be as all inclusive as possible. But, the service in Palo has always been extraordinary and we choose to reward our servers accordingly.

briehon,

As you can see, opinion is varied amongst everyone that dines at Palo or Remy.

Personally, after having paid the upcharge to dine at a for fee restaurant on a cruise that I've already paid for meals in the MDR, I would take into account what I thought the meal and service was worth on land, and add 10% for great service.

Palo and Remy servers are picked to be the best adult dining servers, so your own opinion may vary on your own experience.

JMO.

If the meal were complementary as in for Platinum CC members, I would most likely follow Little Doe, and $25 pp.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The tip is included in the fee...no worries.

In days past, the web site indicated that the tip was included in the upcharge. That was changed some time ago to indicate tipping was "at your discretion " My guess is that most people tip in the range of $20-25 per person which can be in cash left on the table or as a charge to your on board account. There are those who tip a lot more and (I suspect) those who tip little or nothing. But the $20 range seems "about right" based on my observations and experiences.

Yes there is no right or wrong. The first time we went we had Sylvester on the Magic. We were with a group in the "little room". He was so amazing. He kept bringing us things to taste. The dinner must have lasted almost 4 hours. That got us started on high tipping. But the next time we were at Palo, the waitress acted formally polite but like she did not care. We were disappointed thinking that Sylvester's method was the norm. As I remember we tipped her less. Per the norm we usually tip in the $25 range per person at the table. But there is not set right or wrong. You do what you think is right. I have noticed that even in America from large city to small town they tipping varies. I had a son who worked as a waiter when he was young. He had a table of 10 one time that tipped him 26 cents then walked back in and said that they needed to use a pay phone and needed the quarter back. ( before widespread cell phone use) That has influenced my tipping from then on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Wow! Is this what most people do?

Unless you talk to the servers in Palo (and they are taught to be circumspect), you don't have any idea what "Most" people do.

I would venture to say that most people leave a tip in addition to the upcharge. The fact that some sort of tip is appropriate is indicated by the "at your discretion" comment from DCL. It doesn't say "Included in upcharge" or "not expected." How much? Your choice. We typically tip in the $20 range. I've seen people tip higher and lower when I've dined with others. If you read the boards, you'll see people who claim to tip A LOT higher as well as those who add nothing. You need to do what is right for you.

Remember that the auto-gratuity is already added to any bar purchases.

Unless you talk to the servers in Palo (and they are taught to be circumspect)' date=' you don't have any idea what "Most" people do.

I would venture to say that most people leave a tip in addition to the upcharge. The fact that some sort of tip is appropriate is indicated by the "at your discretion" comment from DCL. It doesn't say "Included in upcharge" or "not expected." How much? Your choice. We typically tip in the $20 range. I've seen people tip higher and lower when I've dined with others. If you read the boards, you'll see people who claim to tip A LOT higher as well as those who add nothing. You need to do what is right for you.

Remember that the auto-gratuity is already added to any bar purchases.[/quote']

"We typically tip in the $20 range." Is that per person?

I hope not!!! That would mean (based on a land restaurant costs), each person's meal would have cost over $100...without drinks!!! That's an absurd tip, considering the "fee" is covering gratuities.

Edited by cb at sea

I haven't eaten at Palo yet, but from the reviews I've read and from my own experience at "nicer" restaurants, $100/person without drinks is not at all out of line. Victoria & Alberts at Walt Disney World costs $150/person without alcohol.

I hope not!!! That would mean (based on a land restaurant costs), each person's meal would have cost over $100...without drinks!!! That's an absurd tip, considering the "fee" is covering gratuities.

There's never been any official confirmation that the extra cost covers any tip.

That's an absurd tip, considering the "fee" is covering gratuities.

That's the problem--DCL will not come clean about whether the upcharge is covering gratuities or not.

Many years ago (I think the upcharge was $20), we were able to learn that $4 was allocated for gratuities and was pooled and divided among those serving that night. Since then, DCL has changed the on line info from stating that the gratuity is included to "at your discretion."

They did something similar to the concierge--concierge used to not list any info on tipping and those CMs were paid a wage from DCL. DCL changed the wording to "at your discretion" AND at the same time took away most of the salary these people were receiving.

SO, again, at this point I have no definitive info on whether the server gets anything from the Palo or Remy upcharges. If anyone else has info, it is something whispered by a server (that's how we got the first info). DCL won't tell.

With one exception, we've always had great service in Palo, and I have no problem being generous. When the service was not good, I was much less into tipping! We don't order alcohol, so that is a non-issue. And we have a favorite server who we request every time and have enjoyed for at least 6 years!

YOU tip what feels right to you. Any tip is kept by the server (not pooled) and is certainly appreciated.

That is what I thought, too! I don't think the tip should be the same cost as the meal. Why don't they just add it in, like everything else on the ship? Very complicated for a free platinum meal! (P.S. We wouldn't be ordering drinks with the meal - we usually drink water.)

Edited by metairiegal

I haven't eaten at Palo yet, but from the reviews I've read and from my own experience at "nicer" restaurants, $100/person without drinks is not at all out of line. Victoria & Alberts at Walt Disney World costs $150/person without alcohol.

Remy is very comparable to V&A. Palo is not that fancy or worthy of that cost. I do realize that costs vary among cities on land, but I would expect to pay somewhere in the $75 range for a Palo type dinner in my city. $100 might be a little high, but not completely out of line.

The issue is not complicated for a "free" platinum dinner. DCL waives the $30 per person fee. At the end of the meal you will be presented with a folder containing a "bill" showing the zero balance or the charge for any purchased items. There is a line for a tip. You can enter an amount and sign it, place some cash in the folder, or just leave it on the table. The "right" amount to tip is up to you. My personal opinion is that somewhere in the range of $20 per person is right for me to leave. If you feel that $10 per person is right, then leave that. I've also read of amounts that I considered crazy high. But each of us comes from a different background and views tipping differently. Since DCL has provided no guidance, you need to do what seems right to you.

Can you point us to where it is indicated that a grat is not expected as it is covered in either the base fare, upcharge cost or optional?

All the DCL website says is:

Dining Manager ..............Your Discretion

Room Service .................Your Discretion

Palo ..............................Your Discretion

Remy ............................Your Discretion

Senses Spa & Salon ........An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services

Vista Spa & Salon ...........An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services

Babysitting ....................Gratuity not expected

Port Adventures .............Optional; not included in Port Adventures price

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/

So whilst it says at your discretion, that also applies to room service, and although you are not paying an upcharge for most items from room service, some you do.

So with that mindset, if you do order a chargeable item from room service, say a soda, should you not tip because the gratuity is included in the cost of the chargeable item?

ex techie

So with that mindset, if you do order a chargeable item from room service, say a soda, should you not tip because the gratuity is included in the cost of the chargeable item?

ex techie

The cost of a chargeable item from room service does include the automatic gratuity applied to all "bar" items. Yes, those boxed candies or light up things on glasses are considered bar items and have a gratuity attached. Again, whether you tip an additional amount for the room service is your choice.

My personal logic on such items is that if I walk to the bar and get the beverage, the 15% automatic gratuity has covered the service rendered. If they bring me the item when I'm by the pool, in the theatre, or thru room service, I add an additional tip. And yes, I know that the automatic grats are pooled and shared by all workers in that area while any additional goes to the person who actually served me. Frankly, 15% seems excessive for someone who takes a can of soda out of a fridge and hands it to me, but that's irrelevant as I don't buy cans of soda on the ship.

DCL makes it pretty clear that a tip is expected in Palo by not listing it as "Gratuity not expected" the way they do babysitting or "Optional" as they do for excursions. They don't say it is optional (while it is), they say it is at "your discretion."

Edited by moki'smommy

The cost of a chargeable item from room service does include the automatic gratuity applied to all "bar" items. Yes' date=' those boxed candies or light up things on glasses are considered bar items and have a gratuity attached. Again, whether you tip an additional amount for the room service is your choice.

My personal logic on such items is that if I walk to the bar and get the beverage, the 15% automatic gratuity has covered the service rendered. If they bring me the item when I'm by the pool, in the theatre, or thru room service, I add an additional tip. And yes, I know that the automatic grats are pooled and shared by all workers in that area while any additional goes to the person who actually served me. Frankly, 15% seems excessive for someone who takes a can of soda out of a fridge and hands it to me, but that's irrelevant as I don't buy cans of soda on the ship.

DCL makes it pretty clear that a tip is expected in Palo by not listing it as "Gratuity not expected" the way they do babysitting or "Optional" as they do for excursions. They don't say it is optional (while it is), they say it is at "your discretion."[/quote']

Ok,

so whilst a 15% auto grat is applied to cans of soda bought from servers or at a bar, and is clearly stated on the gratuity page, on the room service menu all that is said is "Please call Stateroom Dining for offerings and prices."

Then below Gratuity is not included.

So when you all room service and order a can of pop, or maybe a bag of candy, is the price stated the total price, or without the 15% auto grat added and as it says Gratuity is not included are you then expected to add another gratuity on top off the auto grat?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Ok,

so whilst a 15% auto grat is applied to cans of soda bought from servers or at a bar, and is clearly stated on the gratuity page, on the room service menu all that is said is "Please call Stateroom Dining for offerings and prices."

Then below Gratuity is not included.

So when you all room service and order a can of pop, or maybe a bag of candy, is the price stated the total price, or without the 15% auto grat added and as it says Gratuity is not included are you then expected to add another gratuity on top off the auto grat?

ex techie

The auto grat is applied to any "bar item" which includes those from room service. Yes, if you buy a soda thru room service, there is an auto-grat included in the price.

You can dispute whether this auto grat includes a delivery gratuity, especially if food is also ordered. Are you expected to add another gratuity? I'd go back to my logic on any bar item--if I go get it, I've paid the auto grat and that is all they get. If they bring it to me, I'll add a bit more. I typically round it up to the next full dollar amount. If I were to order a bunch of food along with a soda, I'd tip couple of dollars, but that's about what I'd add for the food alone.

When you get your ticket, it shows the cost of the item. The next line shows the auto-gratuity (which sort of looks like the tax line on a US receipt). Then there is a blank line listed as "additional gratuity."