What to pack for Eastern Caribbean first of December

Tigers11

We usually cruise in February and we have been able to swim and lay out, etc. but the weather can go either way. Nights could get windy and chilly. Days could be warm. We are from the north, so when we got off the plane in Orlando, 60 degrees felt like 80 if that makes sense.

We've never cruised in Dec. (only the summer months). Do I still pack mostly shorts and sleeveless tops?? The climate lists mid 80s to 60s. Is it going to be too cool to snorkel in St Thomas? Swim/lay out on the ship?

Once out of Florida and the Bahamas it's be fine for swimming and snorkeling.

The Caribbean is warm year around. :)

It won't be freezing cold in Florida or the Bahamas! It's just the water temperatures can be quite chilly. On a rainy day a light jacket is good to have along.

You'll be fine swimming in St. Thomas!

Look forward to having a great cruise! :D

Thanks, OCruisers! It's our 34th Anniversary and the first trip DH and I have gone on just the two of us in almost 26 years. So .... We're pretty excited but I'm also a little nervous not having my kids with us - although they are 20 and 25.

Weather can vary. On winter cruises, always pack one outfit for cooler weather. If it doesn't include a jacket or sweater, add that also as you may want it on deck in the evening.

Normally, shorts and short sleeves/sleeveless tops will be fine, but there is always the possibility of a cold snap. You don't want to get caught unprepared.

A simple google search shows water temperatures for 2014 in St Thomas in December are around 80 degrees.

Air temperatures between 75 deg to 86 deg.

Florida air temperatures in December at around 72 deg and as low as 50.

Google is your friend!

ex techie

Summer clothes in the CARIBBEAN...if you're going to the Bahamas...thats not Caribbean..it's the Atlantic...and has Florida weather...similar to what you have at home.

It won't be freezing cold in Florida or the Bahamas! It's just the water temperatures can be quite chilly. On a rainy day a light jacket is good to have along.

You'll be fine swimming in St. Thomas!

Look forward to having a great cruise! :D

OP is on a Eastern Caribbean cruise.... The clue is in the thread title.

ex techie

While those averages on google are a delightful thing, they do not tell you that a cold spell can or cannot happen. We've done a lot of early December cruises as well as February ones. Most of the time the weather is lovely, but twice (at least) we've been hit with weather in the high 50s at Castaway. That is way too cool for me to think about swimming (the water is definitely warmer than the air).

There was the time I ended up having to buy sweats at Disney prices because we were so cold. That's when I learned that we always need to pack one set of warm clothing for any time other than summer. I often make them our "airplane" clothes as we are coming from a cooler climate, but then we have the on the ship "just in case."

And FWIW, 70 on land and 70 in the water is NOT the same. It's not even close. However, I don't like being in the ocean (although I like looking at it) so I can't give you a better description of what is "cold". I just remember that an outside air temperature that's "nice" to me is FREEZING in the water.

And I also had no idea that the Bahamas would be so different from the Caribbean. On Google Maps, they look like they'd be the same. Which is why I come on here so I can get an experienced human answer instead of just Googling it. Typically, I have Googled it and it either doesn't make sense or I'm looking for more confirmation.

Edited by codex57

And FWIW, 70 on land and 70 in the water is NOT the same. It's not even close. However, I don't like being in the ocean (although I like looking at it) so I can't give you a better description of what is "cold". I just remember that an outside air temperature that's "nice" to me is FREEZING in the water.

And I also had no idea that the Bahamas would be so different from the Caribbean. On Google Maps, they look like they'd be the same. Which is why I come on here so I can get an experienced human answer instead of just Googling it. Typically, I have Googled it and it either doesn't make sense or I'm looking for more confirmation.

70 air temperature and 70 in the water is obviously not going to feel the same!

If you are immersed in water and motionless, your body will cool down from the regular body temperature of 98.

But by swimming your body generates heat and therefore you will feel warmer.

You need to remember that 70 outside on land or on the ship, you are wearing clothing that insulates your body from colder temperatures, or if sunbathing in the sun, you are wearing minimal clothing and your body is subjected to the heat of the sun, so your body is absorbing that heat as well. You would feel cold sunbathing in the shade at 70.

Your body absorbs heat much more rapidly than the ocean does.

The pools on DCL are heated if they drop below 75, for reference and do just fine.

You could draw a bath and test it until it is around 75 so you know if you'd feel comfortable, or need a wetsuit.

I hope that explains your confusion between air temperature and water emersion temperature!

ex techie

Thank you. That's very helpful. I knew there was a reason. I'm just not good enough in science to know why.

In your opinion, what's a "warm" water temp that won't require a wetsuit for those of us who are not quite so naturally insulated? Just so we can get a frame of reference for those avg temps we look up.

Thank you. That's very helpful. I knew there was a reason. I'm just not good enough in science to know why.

In your opinion, what's a "warm" water temp that won't require a wetsuit for those of us who are not quite so naturally insulated? Just so we can get a frame of reference for those avg temps we look up.

Well, are you sensitive to temperatures? As in do you feel the cold more than others?

At home, do you set the heating temperature to 60, 65, 68, or 70+?

Will you be bathing, so laying in the water or swimming around? Or playing with kids?

You are from CA so a warm climate, but do you swim in the ocean a lot and do you feel cold there? Those from colder climates may feel fine, whereas those from southern climates may feel chilly.

The thermostat at home is set to 65, and I am comfortable.

Personally for me, if I am swimming and splashing around, 70+ is perfectly comfortable, but I could afford to lose a few pounds of "personal insulation"!

Those that are not "naturally insulated" would probably prefer the water at around 75 if they are paying around with the kids, or 82-85+ to just lay in the water on a float with the sun on them as well.

ex techie

I grew up near the ocean, but pretty much never went in. SoCal beaches always felt too cold to me. I'm up in NorCal now so my tolerance range has expanded... a very tiny amount.

At home, winter is 68 to feel comfortable. 67 is where it starts to be too cold, in a long sleeve t-shirt and seat pants. I'm not the most active, so we'll go with "lay in the water". :)