TCM cruise on Disney Magic

NJCruiser923

I was on the Disney Magic for the TCM cruise. My husband and I are seasoned cruisers with more than 30 cruises completed. We had never been on a Disney cruise and we were looking forward to being on the Magic as well as the TCM program.

We did not have a choice of cabin when we signed up for the cruise as there were few left. We were assigned to 2626. It was the first time we traveled with no balcony, but were quite pleased with the room. Until 4 am. It is directly below the kitchen. The moving and crashing began then and continued. The next morning my husband went to guest services. Later in the day a representative of the guest services department came to our cabin to apologize and said the kitchen had been advised of our concern. (Who was he kidding. Food preparation for over 1000 passengers was not going to be done differently because one cabin was complaining) We couldn’t be moved because there were no empty rooms in “our price category”. We called guest services at 4, 5 and 6 am that morning. Two nights and little to no sleep. We went to see guest services again and were advised that they had spoken to the kitchen again. Later in the day we received a visit from the guest service representative with the solution, which we accepted. We now could now use 2626 during the day and 7009 (an inside cabin on the other end of the ship) to sleep. We were desperate and so each night we packed our bag and headed for our sleeping cabin.

I was on the Disney Magic for the TCM cruise. My husband and I are seasoned cruisers with more than 30 cruises completed. We had never been on a Disney cruise and we were looking forward to being on the Magic as well as the TCM program.

We did not have a choice of cabin when we signed up for the cruise as there were few left. We were assigned to 2626. It was the first time we traveled with no balcony, but were quite pleased with the room. Until 4 am. It is directly below the kitchen. The moving and crashing began then and continued. The next morning my husband went to guest services. Later in the day a representative of the guest services department came to our cabin to apologize and said the kitchen had been advised of our concern. (Who was he kidding. Food preparation for over 1000 passengers was not going to be done differently because one cabin was complaining) We couldn’t be moved because there were no empty rooms in “our price category”. We called guest services at 4, 5 and 6 am that morning. Two nights and little to no sleep. We went to see guest services again and were advised that they had spoken to the kitchen again. Later in the day we received a visit from the guest service representative with the solution, which we accepted. We now could now use 2626 during the day and 7009 (an inside cabin on the other end of the ship) to sleep. We were desperate and so each night we packed our bag and headed for our sleeping cabin.

Wonder why they couldn't let you use the same room for daytime use?

Wonder why they couldn't let you use the same room for daytime use?

I guess because 7009 is an inside and 2626 is an Ocean View and they wanted the view.

I don't understand why you would pack a bag each night though? Surely it would have been easier to have the Stateroom Host transfer your belongings to 7009 the room you are sleeping, showering and dressing in, and use 2626 as a "day room" to nap and watch out of the porthole?

ex techie

We were on the Magic last year and had similar experience. The outside window room was part of a special deal thru DVC so we couldn't choose location. Unf room was above lateral thrusters so each port entry, about 5-6am, we were wakened by loud thruster engines. Lesson was we got what we paid for.

I urge you to do a review, at least on the room, letting others know about the noise. We usually research our room locations in advance using reviews. Unf couldn't on this one due to discount.

Rest of cruise was fine, we'll do Disney again, but we'll pay for balcony in better location.

Worst suite ever!

Despite neither being a suite, why the worst ever?

I'm sure the other surrounding Staterooms suffer the same noise complaints due to the location.

Whilst I feel for the OP, there has to be some rooms that suffer more noise than others. Like staying in a hotel that has a front facing the highway or airport, or next door to a busy late night establishment, or the early morning laundry deliveries/trash collections and suffer more noise that other, there are always going to be rooms that are more desirable.

Cruise ships are no different, and there will always be rooms that are subject to more foot traffic and mechanical noise or vibration than others.

When you chose to cruise and not be able to pick your Stateroom, thats the dice you roll. These rooms serve others perfectly well, but may not suit all, and some expect to pay less to "suffer" those price reductions to cruise in the rooms and are more tolerant to noise than others.

ex techie

We were told it was a" sleeping room" and our possessions would not be transferred. There really was not a lot of use for our room as the noise from the kitchen continued all day. Disney should not have sold this room.

They did and I'm sorry you found the noise above unacceptable in one of the lower cost rooms.

I personally would have transferred my own possessions to the new Stateroom if they refused to and expected you to pack a bag of new clothes each night.

That is unacceptable.

Did you protest that you should be allowed to move from your OV room to an inside?

ex techie

NJCruiser923, do you know if the TCM cruise counted towards your castaway club cruises on DCL?

Yes it does. We are platinum on Disney and got our gifts which was a great beach bag and a dinner at palo. Because we have also been on all the TCM cruises we also got two nice bags from them along with two beach towels. This was our fifth TCM cruise. We now have 10 TCM beach towels at home. I was tempted to leave these! We don't even use them at home. But it's a nice touch. Next years cruise is set for November. It will be 7 days on the Fantasy leaving from port Caniveral to Puerto Rico, st Maarten and castaway cay. It will be interesting to see if they can sell out the fantasy which holds about 1500 more passengers than the magic. And if people will want to go for seven days. As alumni we get to sign up ahead of everyone else and pick a room. I'm hoping to snag s concierge room next time.

Next years cruise is set for November. It will be 7 days on the Fantasy leaving from port Caniveral to Puerto Rico, st Maarten and castaway cay.

I keep checking the internet and nothing shows up for next year, so thanks for that information. I am interested depending on pricing, of course. I've never been on the Fantasy. This could really be fun.

I've always sailed on deck 2 of the Wonder and Dream. The OP has me a bit creeped out about that now if we don't get to pick our room. :p

I keep checking the internet and nothing shows up for next year, so thanks for that information. I am interested depending on pricing, of course. I've never been on the Fantasy. This could really be fun.

I've always sailed on deck 2 of the Wonder and Dream. The OP has me a bit creeped out about that now if we don't get to pick our room. :p

TCM usually doesn't officially announce dates until jan or feb but they did announce it on the ship this year on the last night. Alumni get to register first usually about a few weeks before it is open to public. The fantasy has a lot more rooms and there is often a wait list but we talked to several people who were wait listed and got on. The initial deposit is non refundable so not sure why people end up not going. That's a lot of money to give up unless they have insurance. The prices are higher than a typical Disney cruise.

• 3 months later...

We signed up and are waiting to see if anything will be left for the November 2016 sailing on the Disney Fantasy. Since we are first timers we might have to wait until the first public day on March 11th.

Just curious how this Disney cruise is different. Is all the Disney activities and entertainment still provided? Or are the nightly shows replaced with TCM activities?

Is it hard to get to all of the TCM activities? I was wonder if our set dinner time will keep us from attending a TCM show/activity?

Edited by wdrl

We signed up and are waiting to see if anything will be left. Just curious is all the Disney activities and entertainment still provided? Or are the nightly shows replaced with TCM activities?

Is it hard to get to all of the activities? I was thinking that could our set dinner time keep us from attending a TCM show/activity?

It's my understanding that most Disney activities are suspended for this cruise. And it's TCM themed. I've read that there's very little Disney except in the dining rooms. The characters only appear in the clubs if there are children. There are often Disney movies if they tie into the actors onboard or the theme.

The TCM website states:

How will the TCM Classic Cruise onboard the Disney Fantasy be different from a traditional Disney Cruise Line experience?

This is the TCM Classic Cruise with all of the activities (film screenings, panel discussions, trivia, dancing, music and themed activities) that you've come to expect on a TCM Classic Cruise. We have chosen the Disney Fantasy as our host ship as Disney Cruise Line is world-renowned for their hospitality, accommodations, service and styling. Plus, the ship’s venues, technical equipment and technical crew are among the best available for the type of experience that TCM provides.

Most Disney themed entertainment will be suspended for the TCM Cruise.

http://www.tcmcruise.com/faq/#7

so do not expect the regular WDT shows, I don't know if Pirates night happens?

ex techie

edit to add some more info: (actually TCM's site is better at explaining stuff than DCL's for this lol!)

Will the Disney Characters be available on the TCM Classic Cruise?

The Disney Characters will not generally be available or seen in the ship’s common areas.

The ability for children of all ages to meet and greet their favorite Disney Characters will be limited. Daily locations and times will be listed in your Personal Navigator (daily schedule) available aboard the Disney Fantasy.

Will TCM be featuring movies and activities for children?

While many of the films we show are appropriate for family viewing, we are not specifically creating a series of movie selections for children.

Are there any age restrictions for attending screenings and presentations?

TCM is committed to reaching classic film lovers of all ages. However, we try to create an atmosphere that all will enjoy. Therefore, while attending the Cruise screening events, please note that (a) the running time for many films may be two hours or longer, not including special guest introductions and Q & A sessions; (b) events may not be appropriate for minors, and you (and not TCM) are responsible for making the determination about what is appropriate for you and any accompanying minors; © guests (both adults and minors) with disruptive behavior (including use of cell phones, texting, talking during films) may be asked to leave the venue.

What activities will be available for children?

The Youth Clubs aboard the Disney Fantasy will be available for infants through teens. Disney Cruise Line is world-renowned for these highly entertaining and engaging programs.

When is dinner?

Each night, there is a Main Seating and a Second Seating for dinner.

On the Disney Fantasy, the Main Seating is at approximately 5:45 PM; the Second seating is at approximately 8:15 PM.

When you book your vacation, please request either the First or Second Seating. If your seating preference is not available, an alternate seating will be assigned. Regretfully, requests for a specific dining time cannot be guaranteed. For your assigned time and restaurant rotation, please check your dining tickets located in your stateroom upon arrival. Remember, other dining options may include the buffets. You can also enjoy the benefits of room service in your stateroom.

Please note, all conversations scheduled in the Walt Disney Theatre during dinner hours will be repeated, so you will have the opportunity to attend a session that does not conflict with your assigned dining time.

That is just some of the info, more on the link below

http://www.tcmcruise.com/faq/once-onboard/#1

Edited by Ex techie

We signed up and are waiting to see if anything will be left for the November 2016 sailing on the Disney Fantasy. Since we are first timers we might have to wait until the first public day on March 11th.

Just curious how this Disney cruise is different. Is all the Disney activities and entertainment still provided? Or are the nightly shows replaced with TCM activities?

Is it hard to get to all of the TCM activities? I was wonder if our set dinner time will keep us from attending a TCM show/activity?

No Disney shows.

Disappointed there wasn't at least one.

A few characters around and doing pictures...some visited in the dining rooms.

Many characters out on Castaway Cay and the food there was fantastic, as always.

Pirate night doesn't happen...but there is a fireworks show.

The TCM activities could have been scheduled better.

Yes, depending on your dining times, it was hard to make some of them.

But, they did film them and they played on your TV.

I found the mornings were lacking in things to do.

We watched the Jungle Book out by the pool, and another Disney movie.

The theater had many old movies scheduled.

Q & A by the star that was there and one of the TCM hosts.

Those were very enjoyable to hear about the making of the movie.

We played Trivia with Alex Trebeck. He was great.

It got crowded, so get there early.

TCM host Ben M hosted Bingo a couple of times.

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

If you signed up for the presale, you should get an email with a date and time that you will be able to the book the cruise before it goes out to the public on March 11th. I did that and a day or 2 later, they sent me my booking time information.

Thank you all for these details. DH and I were thinking that it would be a TCM cruise with very little Disney additions. We were trying to compare the cost to a Disney cruise but now realize that doesn't apply. It sounds like the cost is all TCM related with the exception of Castaway Cay.

It is pretty expensive after looking at the price sheets. I think for us it would be a once in a lifetime event.

Thanks again.

As alumni we just registered for the Nov cruise. I was hoping for concierge but It was too pricey. Instead we got ocean view on 6 for 2700 a person. I thinks that's a little more than a reg Disney 7 night cruise but it also includes gratuities. Very excited to see who is on board this year. This will be our 6th TCM cruise. And as platinum on Disney we get all those perks plus the special TCM gifts.

We just registered yesterday so by time they send us the email with our date we might not have a choice on room type. In the past we have preferred balconies but right an ocean view is looking pretty good.

I am impressed that so many of you have done multiple TCM cruises.