Requesting recommendations on preboarding in Port Canaveral

gambit57

Most of the stuff on various tips and stuff is fairly old. I'm looking for as up to date recommendations as possible.

We're flying into Orlando Intl the day before. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency in the airport that night, and we're also staying the night we disembark before leaving the airport the next day.

Because we're using that particular airport, I'm considering using the Disney ground transfers. We're a family of 4.

Oh, and I got a Port Arrival Time of 12:30 pm. However, I'm waitlisted for the early dining time. That's probably my number 1 concern as my kids go to bed at 8. If my dining time is at 8, that makes things quite difficult.

What do you recommend I do?

So, it looks like Disney is roughly $50 more expensive round trip than a private Town Car or something. Is it worth it to book the Disney ground transfers?

I've seen posts where it says the port now opens at 11? So no one can even get in until 11, but people start lining up before?

I've also seen posts where the very first Disney bus leaves at 9am. And that they rip up your old PAT and give you a new one? That would make it arrive at 10. I'm ok waiting around for an hour if I have a shot at boarding early so I can try and be first to request a dining time change.

The secondary factor is whether the convenience factor of having my bags taken from my room is worth $50? I mean, does it go both ways? From what I've read, on arrival, I still have to go to baggage claim myself and collect my own bags. I then wheel it across that atrium area to the Hyatt. The only real benefit is the next morning, where I don't have to take the luggage down the elevator myself to load it onto the bus, and I don't have to take it over to the luggage area after arriving at the port. Is that really that hard? My kids can walk by themselves now and isn't the bus right outside the airport?

And coming back to the airport, if I use Disney, will they take my luggage straight to Hyatt and up to my room? Or do I still have to take it myself?

Right now, it doesn't seem like a lot of convenience for an extra $50. However, if I can get a new PAT and arrive extra early to board early, that might be worth it. Thanks.

We always use the Disney transportation. A little more money but so easy. We are on the first bus every cruise. Leaves about 915. Get to port 1015. Only ones there at port. Check in with no lines. On the ship by 1130.

Go to guest services to talk about changing your dining.

I've heard you can arrange with the Hyatt about them getting your luggage. Not sure about that

Most of the stuff on various tips and stuff is fairly old. I'm looking for as up to date recommendations as possible.

We're flying into Orlando Intl the day before. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency in the airport that night, and we're also staying the night we disembark before leaving the airport the next day.

Because we're using that particular airport, I'm considering using the Disney ground transfers. We're a family of 4.

Oh, and I got a Port Arrival Time of 12:30 pm. However, I'm waitlisted for the early dining time. That's probably my number 1 concern as my kids go to bed at 8. If my dining time is at 8, that makes things quite difficult.

What do you recommend I do?

So, it looks like Disney is roughly $50 more expensive round trip than a private Town Car or something. Is it worth it to book the Disney ground transfers? That's between you and your pocketbook.

I've seen posts where it says the port now opens at 11? So no one can even get in until 11, but people start lining up before?Port opens at 10:30. Private transportation (limos/towncars) typically won't pick you up to arrive earlier than 11:00. If you arrive earlier than your selected Port Arrival Time, and the terminal is busy, you may be asked to wait. If you arrive at the terminal via DCL transfers, you will be allowed to enter the terminal at whatever time you get there.

I've also seen posts where the very first Disney bus leaves at 9am. And that they rip up your old PAT and give you a new one? That would make it arrive at 10. I'm ok waiting around for an hour if I have a shot at boarding early so I can try and be first to request a dining time change.Boarding numbers (issued at check in) are tied to your actual PAT. You'll get the same boarding number regardless of when you check in at the port. Boarding generally begins around 11:15-11:30 with Concierge guests first, followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then boarding numbers are called.

The secondary factor is whether the convenience factor of having my bags taken from my room is worth $50? I mean, does it go both ways? From what I've read, on arrival, I still have to go to baggage claim myself and collect my own bags. I then wheel it across that atrium area to the Hyatt. The only real benefit is the next morning, where I don't have to take the luggage down the elevator myself to load it onto the bus, and I don't have to take it over to the luggage area after arriving at the port. Is that really that hard? My kids can walk by themselves now and isn't the bus right outside the airport? If you are staying at the Hyatt MCO, and you use DCL transfers, you let them know when you check in at the hotel that you are taking DCL transfers the next morning. They will put your room number on their list of bags to pick up in the morning to transfer to the DCL truck. The next time you see your (checked) bags will be onboard at your room. The Hyatt MCO is at the other end of the airport from where the DCL busses are (and 2 floors up).

And coming back to the airport, if I use Disney, will they take my luggage straight to Hyatt and up to my room? Or do I still have to take it myself?I don't think there is any reciprocal program going from the ship to the Hyatt MCO. You'd need to claim your bags in the terminal (at the port), carry it through customs, and hand them off to your bus driver. Once at the airport, you claim your bags and take them to the hotel.

Right now, it doesn't seem like a lot of convenience for an extra $50. However, if I can get a new PAT and arrive extra early to board early, that might be worth it. Thanks.

No one gets a "new" PAT, or boards early, because they use DCL transfers. You can, arrive earlier than your selected PAT, as I said, but your boarding number will most likely be the same as if you checked in at your correct PAT. Once the boarding number being announced for boarding catches up to the number being issued at check in, Open Boarding is announced. That means anyone holding any boarding number may board. This typically happens around 12:30-12:45.

note

the 'PAT' issue, if you'll allow me to call it that

Is a 'loading' issue.

The advent of the new ships, DREAM and FANTASY which carry more folks than MAGIC and WONDER coupled with an extreme "me first" passenger behaviour resulted in the terminal exceeding the maximum occupancy as determined by the fire marshal.

If you arrive early and the terminal is not 'full' you get in. If the terminal is FULL, you wait. PAT is an effort to manage this . . .

I typically arrive around 1pm .... no lines ..... lunch is still open.

My drive to Port Canaveral is 15 minutes ......

Edited by Capt_BJ

Shmoo basically has it right.

If you use DCL transfers from the Hyatt, your luggage will be taken from your room at the Hyatt to your cabin on the ship. All you need to do is to be sure you are on the DCL transfer list at the Hyatt when you check in (you'll sign a sheet with your name and room number). They give you a paper to give to the DCL people when you check in for the bus. The Hyatt list tells them to give your luggage to DCL. The paper tells the DCL people to assure that they have received it. SO, you save on luggage hauling. If you use private transportation, you'll either get a bellman or take your luggage to the front yourself. You'll also tip your bellman (if used), your limo driver, and the porters at the terminal.

Honestly, for 4, the cost is about the same whether DCL or private. I'd probably just use the bus.

Yes, for $10 the Hyatt will get your luggage from the airport carousel and take it to your room.

The port opens at 10:30 to Disney bus traffic and to private cars. Limos, private buses, shuttles, etc. can't enter till 11. The first DCL bus departs about 9:30, arriving at the terminal just before 10:30. The people on that bus are the first ones in the terminal. No one tears up your PAT. You just get into the terminal for sure (no waiting outside). Otherwise if you arrive before your PAT, you may or may not be required to wait outside depending on how crowded the terminal is. Waiting is typically brief--15 minutes or so.

On the way back to the hotel, you will take your luggage thru Customs and give it to the bus driver...then take it to your hotel room.

SO, there is no early boarding benefit to arriving by DCL transfer vs. private vehicle. A towncar/limo likely allows a 15-30 minute stop at a store of your choosing if needed. DCL makes luggage issues a lot easier on the way to the ship. Bottom line, your choice.

Hmmm, the tipping is a variable I hadn't fully considered. Do you typically tip the Disney bus driver? If not, between the tipping and being guaranteed to be allowed to wait in the terminal, that cost difference really starts to go away. And my kids can watch cartoons on the bus and give me an hour's peace.

Hmmm, the tipping is a variable I hadn't fully considered. Do you typically tip the Disney bus driver? If not, between the tipping and being guaranteed to be allowed to wait in the terminal, that cost difference really starts to go away. And my kids can watch cartoons on the bus and give me an hour's peace.

Tipping the bus driver is entirely up to you. Some do, some don't.

They can also watch cartoons while waiting in the terminal

http://i66.tinypic.com/30u7hqa.jpg[/img]"]30u7hqa.jpg

Awesome! Looks like it's the Disney transfers, in large part so we can wait in the terminal. As a former cast member, the tipping thing on Disney cruises is interesting. I can totally understand the tipping on board. That's industry standard. However, when I was a cast member, we could NOT accept tips. So, I could see that rule possibly being applied to the US based employees.

On a side note, are PMs not available on this forum?

Edited by codex57

Awesome! Looks like it's the Disney transfers, in large part so we can wait in the terminal. As a former cast member, the tipping thing on Disney cruises is interesting. I can totally understand the tipping on board. That's industry standard. However, when I was a cast member, we could NOT accept tips. So, I could see that rule possibly being applied to the US based employees.

On a side note, are PMs not available on this forum?

Nope, no PMs on this forum.

Some things to keep in mind about tipping:

- The bus drivers for the DCL buses, and also for Disney's Magical Express are not Disney cast members, but are employees of Mears Transportation.

- I know many cast members cannot accept tips, or can accept them only if immediately turned in to a designated charity (for example tour guides at the Animal Kingdom park turn tips in to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.) Some cast members on DCL evidently cannot accept tips either from what I have heard (but not directly experienced) with examples being officers and staff in the kids' clubs.

- It is my experience that Disney cast members working in Guest Services are not allowed to accept tips. I suppose that a means of saying that guest service at Disney is meant to be freely given and is not to be considered a special treat to those who pay extra for it. Then again, the job of Guest Services cast members is usually to dispense information and advice, and not to perform physical labor such as transporting luggage.

- Waiters, bar staff, and stateroom hosts are in positions that typically accept tips and therefore are allowed to do so both with DCL and as Disney cast members at the resorts. I say this based on direct experience. Valet parking attendants would be another example of people allowed to accept tips. I expect Disney resort bell staff (i.e. people who provide luggage assistance) are allowed to accept tips. I know the employees of BAGS, Inc who collect luggage at Disney resorts for transport to the MCO airport certainly accept tips.

Tipping or not is up to you. I just thought I would add a bit of extra data to the conversation.

Edited by Modern_Viking

I have been reading that you can also do an onboard airline check in depending on what airlines you are flying. You can leave your luggage outside your door and your luggage will be checked in at the airport for you.

Here is what the article states:

Disney Cruise Line strives to offer guests a hassle-free vacation experience by providing extra services, such as Disney’s Magical Express, that help eliminate some of the stresses of family travel. Now guests sailing with Disney Cruise Line from Port Canaveral find that their vacation experience has been made even easier with Onboard Airline Check-In. This service allows qualified guests to check-in for their post-cruise flights while onboard, eliminating the need to do so at Orlando International Airport.

Guests participating in Onboard Airline Check-In enjoy the ease and convenience of not having to collect their luggage upon debarkation–checked luggage is transported directly from the ship to the guest’s flight. While on their cruise, guests’ boarding passes are delivered to their staterooms the day prior to disembarkation. Upon the ship’s return to Port Canaveral, participating guests can proceed directly to Customs and then to Orlando International Airport where they bypass check-in and continue straight to airport security and on to their assigned departure gate.

In order to take advantage of this service, guests need to meet certain requirements and be booked on a domestic flight on one of seven participating air carriers: AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Northwest Airlines, or United Airlines/Ted. Eligible guests are able to enroll for Onboard Airline Check-in by completing pre-registration information received at Orlando International Airport or one of the Disney Cruise Line Hospitality Desks at the Walt Disney World Resort and turning it in during check-in at Port Canaveral.

To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a Disney Cruise Line vacation, guests can contact their travel agent, visit disneycruise.com or call Disney Cruise Line at (888) DCL-2500. Travel agents can call Disney Cruise Line at (888) 325-2500 or visit disneytravelagents.com.

- See more at: http://dclnews.com/2010/06/10/onboard-airline-check-in-service-adds-convenience-to-a-disney-cruise-line-vacation/#sthash.bBtuALxO.dpuf

I have been reading that you can also do an onboard airline check in depending on what airlines you are flying. You can leave your luggage outside your door and your luggage will be checked in at the airport for you.

Be aware that if you purchase liquor from either the onboard duty free, or ashore, that is held for you until the end of your cruise, and you pick it up when you debark the ship, so if you are flying be sure to hold one bag to check at the airport for the liquor!

ex techie

Valet parking attendants would be another example of people allowed to accept tips.

AND the luggage porters at the pier

are NOT Disney employees .... nor is most you meet in the terminal checking you in for that matter

these folks work for a stevedore company contracted to the port (luggage handlers) or directly for the port (parking folks & security) ..... union rules

Edited by Capt_BJ

Valet parking attendants would be another example of people allowed to accept tips.

AND the luggage porters at the pier

are NOT Disney employees .... nor is most you meet in the terminal checking you in for that matter

these folks work for a stevedore company contracted to the port (luggage handlers) or directly for the port (parking folks & security) ..... union rules

This is very much true.

I think it is still the same, but Guest facing vendors wearing Disney staff costumes have a Disney name tag, but without the logo.

ex techie

Thanks for the info. It gets really confusing when they're wearing Disney uniforms or on Disney property (land, resorts, vehicles, etc) yet not actually working for Disney.

However, cast members that do work in areas that typically accept tips (ie food services) can't accept tips (from what I remember and is still true as far as I know).