How do we ship luggage from London to Southampton?

theTom&Carol

Need help......

Arriving in London by air, how do we go about shipping our luggage to Southampton cruise terminal to be delivered 3+ weeks later. This is necessary because from London we will be on a 3+ week cross-country long-distance backpacking walk prior to arriving in Southampton to meet up with the QM2.

Can anyone recommend a good baggage forwarding service.

Thanks a bunch.

T&C

How soon are you sailing? White Star will pick it up at your home or office and it will be delivered to your stateroom. It's not cheap but neither is what airlines charge for checked baggage these days. (Unless you have a loyalty status or fare grade that gives you a generous allowance.) They do need about 30-35 days advance notice.

Hi BlueRiBand...

I contacted Cunard about their 'White Star' luggage service. I was told that they cannot pick up the luggage 3+ weeks before the ship's departure as they do not store baggage. They can only pick up the bags in London 2 to 3 days before the ship sails.

T&C

Need help......

Arriving in London by air, how do we go about shipping our luggage to Southampton cruise terminal to be delivered 3+ weeks later. This is necessary because from London we will be on a 3+ week cross-country long-distance backpacking walk prior to arriving in Southampton to meet up with the QM2.

Can anyone recommend a good baggage forwarding service.

Thanks a bunch.

T&C

Have you seen these websites, May Help

See the self storage towards the end.

http://www.toptiplondon.com/practical-tips/left-luggage

and

self storage outside The Airports

http://www.toptiplondon.com/practical-tips/left-luggage-heathrow-airport

https://www.sendmybag.com/

Edited by Pennbank

In July White Star picked up our large suitcase from my workplace in Washington State 4 weeks prior to our crossing. It was there in our cabin soon after we boarded.

We had looked at storing it with Excess Baggage, either at Heathrow or Paddington, but in the end White Star turned out to be cheaper, and we didn't have the hassle of traveling with it.

I would certainly use White Star again, not cheap, but for convenience factor we thought they were well worth it.

it amazes me how difficult it is to store luggage in Southampton. What a lucrative business opportunity!!! Carnival UK ( the parent company UK office of Cunard) do indeed have storage facilities in Southampton. We have used it several times at a cost of $65 per bag for up to 30 days. The issue is that they only seem to allow one to use it between journeys on Cunard or Cunard and another Carnival product. It is impossible to convince them to use it if you only sail one way with them although their California head office and the purser's office seem to have different opinions about this.

We just disembarked the QM2 two days ago and wanted to store our luggage. We ended up storing our luggage at Ocean's Southampton which is a souvenir/gift store who also operate a left luggage service. They have lots of luggage stored there as many people have the same issue. You could enquire if they would accept your luggage for storage if you ship it there...not ideal but the options are limited. You may also wish to consider shipping with White Star ( I understand they use DHL) shipping from your home to the ship.

Edited by Cancun01

We have been very happy with White Star luggage service. A few times US to Soton. Once London to Soton. IIRC, they picked it up from our London hotel about a week before we sailed. The date was their choice, not mine, and it fit our plans perfectly. It's about $100 more from the US (NY area) than from London because White Star acts as the customs agent for you. We chose to ship the bag from London last year because our flight was in business class and we didn't have any luggage charges to factor in.