More questions - cabin and embarkation

Selkie74

We've just received our tickets for TA on November 5th. First ever trip of this kind, so finding this forum very helpful!

Our cabin number is 5205, which on the deck plans looks to be right next to a stairwell. Is this likely to be a noisy location, and if so can we ask for a change, or is it a good enough spot that we should leave it and pack earplugs?

Next question - embarkation time is 1500. Do we get there any earlier (desperate to get on board and start seeing things!) or stick to the allocated time?

We've just received our tickets for TA on November 5th. First ever trip of this kind, so finding this forum very helpful!

Our cabin number is 5205, which on the deck plans looks to be right next to a stairwell. Is this likely to be a noisy location, and if so can we ask for a change, or is it a good enough spot that we should leave it and pack earplugs? Next question - embarkation time is 1500. Do we get there any earlier (desperate to get on board and start seeing things!) or stick to the allocated time?

Hi Selkie74,

Although 5205 is conveniently placed near the lifts and stairs, noise shouldn't be an issue; I've had cabins in similar positions and haven't been disturbed at night. Take ear-plugs as a back-up, but I doubt you'll need them.

I used to arrive at 11.30 regardless of the time shown on my paperwork. This meant that I had a wait (sometimes 45 mins to an hour) in the terminal before I could board. But I was amongst the first to board (after priority passengers), could drop my carry-on in the cabin, and most importantly, have lunch in the Kings Court before it turned into a zoo (which it does). Then an explore before lifeboat drill (around 4pm).

Alternatively you could arrive at 15.00 as your ticket suggests, you will almost certainly not have to wait (or only a few minutes), board, drop your bag and go straight to lifeboat drill.

So there are advantages to being very early, and arriving later. But I would avoid anything in between as you will have a long wait (everyone seems to arrive between 12 noon and 1pm) and either miss lunch or find the Kings Court very crowded.

Recently there have a few stories of the staff at the terminal enforcing the times shown on your paperwork, I have never encountered this once, but if someone here has recently (last couple of months) boarded at Southampton and encountered this, then be guided by their experience.

Have the most wonderful crossing, I'm sure you'll love QM2, a huge Bon Voyage :)

Edited by pepperrn

We had a cabin on deck 5 opposite a stairwell and I had similar concerns but needlessly so. In fact it was really convenient.

I do take earplugs everywhere I go as I am a light sleeper but I always seem to sleep well at sea

We've been in 5031 a couple of times. The public stairways are well away from 5025. There's a crew stairway further aft (from the deckplan I'd say its between 5045 and 5057) but this shouldn't be any issue at 5025.

You won't be turned away regardless of your arrival time but I'd suggest arriving between 1:00 and 1:30 to minimize the time you spend standing in a queue (my experience is primary in Brooklyn).

Almost everyone wants to be on board by Noon, have lunch, and be done with unpacking before the muster drill. For that reason all cruise lines use staggered boarding times in order to avoid having all of the passengers show up at once and overwhelm the check in system. In general, the later you check in the faster the process and one can immediately board the ship.