Can U.S. citizen with criminal record cruise?

the_great_one

my buddy is born and raised in the u.s., now married with kids, and our families are thinking about taking a cruise to mexico. he has a felony conviction from an incident 15 years ago and nothing else since. he is worried about re-entering the u.s. but if he is a legal citizen with a passport and no restrictions on travel that i know of, ther is no problem, right? i mean, he is not trying to enter canada but re-enter his own u.s. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. amy

he has a felony conviction from an incident 15 years ago and nothing else since. he is worried about re-entering the u.s. but if he is a legal citizen with a passport and no restrictions on travel that i know of, ther is no problem, right?

Right

The convicted felon would be restricted in travel pursuant to the terms of his probation or parole.

Once off probation or parole, there may be issues entering certain other nations, if the person's record is known to the foreign authorities.

Contact Probation Department.

I'm Canadian and it is the same all over. It would not be up to the cruise line. It is up to the country you are entering. As stated American with records are being refused entry in to Canada.

This mainly has to do with increased pressure from the USA government trying to get other countries to tighten up broader crossing security.

If you have a record you could be detained or not allowed off ship. It is up to boarder/immigration authorities to decide. That said the majority of people do not have a problem. You just don't want to be one of the 5% that do!

A friend I cruised with is on probation for a felony charge a few years ago. We went to the carribbean (and also france at a different time) and it was no problem. He just had to get a travel permit from the judge/probation officer, but it was not once looked at or questioned.

A friend I cruised with is on probation for a felony charge a few years ago. We went to the carribbean (and also france at a different time) and it was no problem. He just had to get a travel permit from the judge/probation officer, but it was not once looked at or questioned.

It is up to the country you are entering if you will be allowed to enter. Customs officers have access to criminal records. If you have a record you may not be allowed to enter.

I traveled to Aruba w/a convicted felon on probation and he had to have court documents from the judge saying he had permission to enter the country. Besides that, I would have your friend ask the proper authorities before leaving to make sure there isn't a problem!

The passport office told my nephew that they will not process a passport application if back taxes or child support is more than 2500.00 in arrears. It has to be paid in full and up to date and get a document showing that it's paid.

I traveled to Aruba w/a convicted felon on probation and he had to have court documents from the judge saying he had permission to enter the country. Besides that, I would have your friend ask the proper authorities before leaving to make sure there isn't a problem!

His probation officer say he can leave the country! It has nothing to do with if another country will accept him!

His probation officer say he can leave the country! It has nothing to do with if another country will accept him![/QUOTE]

Except for Canada. As many threads have stated, Canada has closed its borders to people with the smallest of infractions even if committed 25 years ago.

I do not believe Mexico will be a problem.

His probation officer say he can leave the country! It has nothing to do with if another country will accept him!

Geez, chill out, was just telling OP of my personal experience, why is this a typical attitude? I wasn't condoning or encouraging anything.

The passport office told my nephew that they will not process a passport application if back taxes or child support is more than 2500.00 in arrears. It has to be paid in full and up to date and get a document showing that it's paid.

Although the person owing back support may not think so, this is a very good thing for the child. We may read about quite a few of these cases in the future.

My nieces boyfriend was in arrears with his child support and they took his drivers license away. Kind of befuddling making it more difficult for him to find employment. But, it has made him take the issue seriously and he's paying up every month now. Another good thing.

I maybe confuzzeled here but do they allow anyone with a criminal record to obtain a passport:confused: I thought you had to have a pardon or something or other.. I must be mistaken.. but I personally don't think anyone who has a record minor or not should be granted a passport.. unless they have been pardoned.

I maybe confuzzeled here but do they allow anyone with a criminal record to obtain a passport:confused: I thought you had to have a pardon or something or other.. I must be mistaken.. but I personally don't think anyone who has a record minor or not should be granted a passport.. unless they have been pardoned.

Yes, you can get a U.S. passport even if you have a criminal record. Once you are no longer under control of the criminal justice system, you can come and go just like any other citizen. Some countries may not let you visit them, but that is their prerogative.

Also, I know someone with an old federal felony conviction who complains that she gets sent to secondary inspection every time she returns to the U.S. I'm not sure if that's really true or if she's exaggerating a bit though.

The right to a passport, just like the right to vote, and other rights, are sometimes taken away when you are convicted of a felony. Once a person completes his sentence/parole, etc, those Civil Rights are generally restored, so he can vote, get a passport, etc.

That does not mean he can necessarily enter another country (that is up to each country to decide), but he can re-enter this country with no problem.

Although most people dont bother, since visas are granted at entry ports or not required for many tourist spots, you CAN obtain a visa for Mexico from the nearest Mexican Consulate, (or any other country you may want to visit).

OP's friend should apply there, then he will know if his record is going to prevent entry. My guess is no problem, but I dont know anything about his specific conviction.

His probation officer say he can leave the country! It has nothing to do with if another country will accept him![/QUOTE]

Except for Canada. As many threads have stated, Canada has closed its borders to people with the smallest of infractions even if committed 25 years ago.

It has to do with Canada from pressure being applied from the USA. The USA government is tighten the broader and wants the same restriction put in place with other countries, shared boarders Canada & Mexico.

But again you are correct they may not have a problem entering Mexico, as the majority that enter Canada do not have a problem. However do you want to guarantee, ensure this person they will not have a problem.

Also reading the New York Times in January the main reason this is coming about is the passport issue. They all have bar codes now that enable Customs to swipe the passport and get info on peoples records.

Although the person owing back support may not think so, this is a very good thing for the child. We may read about quite a few of these cases in the future.

How does witholding a passport encourage paying child support? And how does taking a driver's license away encourage paying child support?

DH has to go through all kinds of BS to get his passport renewed. We are caught in a Catch 22 between three states on a child support case dating from 1980. The boys are 37 and 34 and one state is still contending that there is child support owed from 1984-85. The other two states agree that child support was paid in full in 1995. Different laws, different rules in different states-27 years ago there were no "standardized procedures".

We have spent over $23,000 in legal fees the last 7 years (over 3 times what the State of Iowa says DH owes) and are still no closer to getting this resolved.

thank u to all who replied. i checked with my buddy (u.s.citizen) over the weekend and here is his response. his worry is about returning to the u.s. and what u.s. customs will say once they see his passport and follow up in their system. he was born legally in the u.s. and is returning to the u.s. so not worried about another country. from what we understand, the cruise to mexico does not have to go through mexican customs even though we are getting off the boat in different mexican ports.

his probation (no parole since i guess he did no jail time) ended years ago with no travel restrictions. he understands that visiting canada might be an issue but are there issues on returning to his own u.s.??? he did say that when he returned from the caribbean a few years back he was pulled aside for secondary customs interrogation so maybe that's just the way it'll be from now on???

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much. amy

thank u to all who replied. i checked with my buddy (u.s.citizen) over the weekend and here is his response. his worry is about returning to the u.s. and what u.s. customs will say once they see his passport and follow up in their system. he was born legally in the u.s. and is returning to the u.s. so not worried about another country. from what we understand, the cruise to mexico does not have to go through mexican customs even though we are getting off the boat in different mexican ports.

his probation (no parole since i guess he did no jail time) ended years ago with no travel restrictions. he understands that visiting canada might be an issue but are there issues on returning to his own u.s.??? he did say that when he returned from the caribbean a few years back he was pulled aside for secondary customs interrogation so maybe that's just the way it'll be from now on???

I would suggest that he search on the Customs Agency site for the US and contact them with this question. He may have no issues at all.. except the secondary check.. but you can never tell

he understands that visiting canada might be an issue but are there issues on returning to his own u.s.???

Absolutely 100% guaranteed no problem. He can come and go as he pleases from the U.S. as long as the country he is going to lets him in. He is a U.S. citizen.

I would not however try coming into Canada with the new Canadian border regulations.

I am sure you will be OK to Mexico (and most other countries EXCEPT Canada and Israel.)

As I mentioned in post #18, DH is battling a Catch 22 for child support from long ago. Iowa has TWICE issued a felony non support warrant. He has been arrested, booked, fingerprinted, etc., but has NOT been convicted. Missouri has dismissed the case both times as they feel the child support has been paid.

There is a current outstanding felony non support warrant for DH in Iowa. We travel frequently outside the US. He usually accompanies me on two of four of my South American business trips per year; we just returned in December from a cruise stopping in many places from FLL to Valparaiso. He also travels to Mexico (interior) for business about once a month. He has been to Asia twice in the last two years, Europe 3 times. No one has ever said boo, even with the outstanding felony warrant. He cannot travel to Israel or Canada. Or most importantly, IOWA. But other than a few extra questions when we have returned to the US and problems renewing his passport, he has had no problems.

Call the probation officer from years ago. If the charges have been adjudicated (probation served and case closed), he truly should have no problems, especially to Mexico.

Actually every country has their own rules on who is allowed in. For example the U.S. will not allow a Canadian in if there is a simple marijuana possesion conviction from years ago, if it's on the database. Likewise Canadian border officials will not allow a U.S. citizen into Canada with a simple DUI conviction from years ago, again, if the record is on the database. Obtaining pardons in your own country means nothing to border officials, if it's on their database it is there, pardon or no pardon and the pardon has no effect on the action taken. The only remedy is to apply to the officials of the country you wish to visit and obtain a waiver etc. These are usually granted in most cases but they are time consuming. Most countries' websites spell out the details and the remedies.

Why not? My son is on probation right now and later this year we're sending each family members' passports in for renewal. It's a right royal pain to start them over and I'd rather just renew.

No way is he going anywhere while on probation but by the time that time is up his passport would have expired. I don't see the problem with us being allowed to renew his passport.

Kim

Absolutely 100% guaranteed no problem. He can come and go as he pleases from the U.S. as long as the country he is going to lets him in. He is a U.S. citizen. I would not however try coming into Canada with the new Canadian border regulations.

Understood, thanks. I think he wants to try this cruise out first and see how it goes.

- Is it true that even though the cruise is to Mexico with stops in the standard ports of Cabo, etc., that we do not have to clear Mexican customs? My travel agent told us this and that the only customs to clear is the U.S. upon arrival back in the States. But how do we not have to clear Mexican customs when we are entering Mexican waters? Sounds like you have to clear Canadian customs when cruising to Canada so unsure why Mexico is different.

- When Canadian customs catches a U.S. citizen who has a record, do they just put them on a plane at the citizen's expense back to their home airport or are there criminal charges for trying to enter Canada (accidentally or purposely) with a U.S. record?

- Do the new passports with bar scans make it easier to pull up data on all citizens or is the exact same info available for folks who have older passports that do not have bar scans? One's entire criminal record from age 18 is available to see? My bud has gotten speeding/parking tickets in the past so wouldn't the cops have been able to see if he had anything outstanding on his record when they ran his info and he would have been in trouble then? Or does Customs have access to a lot more info than the basic driving info that standard traffic cops do?

Many thanks in advance for the help .... the cruisers on this board are great.

Archived