Disappointment with P&O Oceana Med Cruise

Lordwanswell

This was a our first sea cruise, from which we have just returned, and I am sorry to say that overall we were disappointed. We did enjoy being at sea and visiting interesting ports, so that was fine. Oceana was clean, tidy and generally efficiently run. Our cabin was comfortable and we were well looked after by our steward.

However, we were disappointed with the entertainment, which was rather too populist for us; pub quizzes, bingo, discos and songs from the shows etc. The entertainment manager even felt he needed to apologise for playing quiet classical music (Vivaldi etc) on deck when leaving Venice, as "the city doesn't like us playing loud pop music." There was also a great emphasis on selling things; trashy artworks and jewellery.

There was a classical pianist who played 5 concerts, but they were relegated to mid-afternoon, when most people want to be outside. These concerts were in the Footlights Theatre, which brings us to, perhaps, our major criticism. The air conditioning of public areas was very poor. The front of the ship, Footlights and Yacht and Compass bar were much too cold for many people. In the theatre there was a very noisy continuous blast of cold air, which spoiled quiet passages of music and made speakers hard to hear. You might think we should have asked for this to be turned off, but in the introductory talk about the ship we were clearly told this was not possible, or too much trouble, as a ship's engineer has to to make adjustments and then has to come and turn it on again later as when the theatre is full for evening performances it would get too hot!

We had freedom dining and the range and quality of food was generally good, although we did have a few notably poor dishes and the vegetables were often rather tough. The serving staff did not seem too familiar with British protocol and often reached across one person to serve another. They also seemed rather over anxious to get rid of you and one had to specifically as for the cheese board, for example.

I am sorry to have to point out these problems, which may be specific to P&O. I feel we may have to move upmarket if we cruise again.

Thanks for posting your review.

Well written.

I hope you have passed on your comments to P&O Cruises.

Can i suggest Celebrity or HAL for your next cruise, which I am confident that you will enjoy.

The Old Ocean Princess, tranferred as a Hand-me-Down from Princess to P&O Cruises many, many years ago is showing its age.

This was a our first sea cruise, from which we have just returned, and I am sorry to say that overall we were disappointed. We did enjoy being at sea and visiting interesting ports, so that was fine. Oceana was clean, tidy and generally efficiently run. Our cabin was comfortable and we were well looked after by our steward.

However, we were disappointed with the entertainment, which was rather too populist for us; pub quizzes, bingo, discos and songs from the shows etc. The entertainment manager even felt he needed to apologise for playing quiet classical music (Vivaldi etc) on deck when leaving Venice, as "the city doesn't like us playing loud pop music." There was also a great emphasis on selling things; trashy artworks and jewellery.

There was a classical pianist who played 5 concerts, but they were relegated to mid-afternoon, when most people want to be outside. These concerts were in the Footlights Theatre, which brings us to, perhaps, our major criticism. The air conditioning of public areas was very poor. The front of the ship, Footlights and Yacht and Compass bar were much too cold for many people. In the theatre there was a very noisy continuous blast of cold air, which spoiled quiet passages of music and made speakers hard to hear. You might think we should have asked for this to be turned off, but in the introductory talk about the ship we were clearly told this was not possible, or too much trouble, as a ship's engineer has to to make adjustments and then has to come and turn it on again later as when the theatre is full for evening performances it would get too hot!

We had freedom dining and the range and quality of food was generally good, although we did have a few notably poor dishes and the vegetables were often rather tough. The serving staff did not seem too familiar with British protocol and often reached across one person to serve another. They also seemed rather over anxious to get rid of you and one had to specifically as for the cheese board, for example.

I am sorry to have to point out these problems, which may be specific to P&O. I feel we may have to move upmarket if we cruise again.

Oh dear what a shame.

I agree the entertainment leaves a lot to be desired. Our way to deal with it ,is to not bother with it at all. We rarely go to shows . If near an air con unit we find somewhere else to sit. Cant say the odd time we were in the theatre we noticed any noise from them.

Air con is a very personal thing. That is why you have problems in offices where windows can not be opened. Its too cold for him, just right for her, and can this person have it made colder please.

With that amount of space left between tables in the MDR it can be a bit difficult sometimes for them to get behind people all the time. Cheeseboard we never have, but people sat near us, always asked for cheese. I don't think they thought it was a problem asking for it.

Upmarket...well I think any mainline company is going to be much a muchness. I am sure some one will say Celebrity is better etc, but they are all working to the same prices, so where they have not cut costs in one place, they will in another.

You would need to go to the 6 star lines.. Regent/Silversea etc. and pay their prices

I would also wander over to the boards on here for the other lines, as I do sometimes and see what they are saying about the cruise companies are operating.

I think you'll find that your criticisms apply to a broad cross-section of cruise lines - in fact, P&O is quite staid compared to most, for instance the entertainment is actually less "populist" than most cruise lines.

I've always noticed the classical music venues poorly-attended, even on fusty-old Cruise & Maritime ships - you just have to accept that it's not popular with the masses & therefore doesn't get prime venues or times.

Although it's not troubled me, I've certainly noticed that air-con is often wound way down & it's a common complaint on cruise ships, most especially in the main dining rooms.

Haven't found the air-con noise intrusive in Oceana's theatre, perhaps there was a fault or perhaps you chose the wrong place to sit.

And it isn't a matter of an engineer not being bothered to come in & change the settings, it's all about the time taken for air-con to react in a large public room, especially one which fills with people in a short space of time.

Well done to the Venetians who at last have persuaded some ships to tone down the music during sailaway - heard from St Marks the noise is loud & incongruous, and when sailing out I've found it embarrassing. It's one time when muted classical music (or silence) would surely be most people's choice.

A switch away from the mass-market cruise lines will resolve some but not all of your issues, which apply to most cruise lines. And a switch to niche cruise lines in the same price bracket will resolve some, but introduce others such as dated, ill-equipped & uncomfortable cabins. You'll need to go more up-market. Perhaps Azamara? Or even Regent or Silversea, though their prices are too rich for me.

Nearest mass-market line for your tastes is likely to be Cunard, but even on their ships cruising is now mainstream.

I wonder whether you've been introduced to it too late.

By about 40 years ;)

JMHO as always. :)

JB :)

Edited to add: your post was on a different forum, & while my typing finger was working it was moved by the moderator to this P&O forum .

Edited by John Bull

Cruising is all about your own personal taste, and its like booking a Hotel at home. In a lot of cases you do get what you pay for.

There are a few exceptions, like off season etc.

But you have to look at the cruise line structure and what type of market it appeals to.

Then you will figure out what cruise line to travel on and whats for you.

Overall, P&O Cruise line is not bad, and have cruised on the Oceana myself a few times. For what price you pay, the product it delivers is as was expected.

Again, thanks for posting a great and honest review.

I'd recommend Princess or Celebrity. They have more style IMHO. They cost more too but are worth it.

We had a great time on Oceana twice years ago and then we tried Princess and were blown away.

Britannia falls short of its sister ships Royal & Regal Princess in comparison too.

What sort of entertainment would you have liked Lord wanswell? We've cruised quite a few times on Oceana and to be fair the entertainment is broadly similar to what you get on other ships and other lines, with a combination of different music genres, games, quizzes and West End style shows. We occasionally go to the cinema or theatre at home but generally when we go out it's for a meal so we enjoy the livelier style of entertainment on the ship.

We were on Fred Olsen earlier this year and their entertainment tis definitely more subdued with more classical recitals in the bars etc but there was also the usually West End Style shows and quizzes.

The whole business of air-conditioning is impossible to resolve. Even when it's just the two of us in the house, we can't agree on the temperature :D

I'd recommend Princess or Celebrity. They have more style IMHO. They cost more too but are worth it.

We had a great time on Oceana twice years ago and then we tried Princess and were blown away.

Britannia falls short of its sister ships Royal & Regal Princess in comparison too.

I have priced up princess cruises and did not find them more expensive,for the cruises I was looking at. , plus Celebrity. In both cases there were other reasons I did not book.

I would still consider them main stream.

I have wandered over to both those boards, and people are no happier on there with aspects on their cruise, and cost cutting.

Maybe you were just unlucky with that particular cruise / cruise director?

I have enjoyed the entertainment on P&O across the board - quizzes, theater shows and classic sailaways.

I have been on one of their classical themed music cruises which was excellent, so I would find it hard to believe P&O are particularly down on highbrow culture - you might find other mainstream lines entertainment even more disappointing.

Air con is a tricky thing - I found Oriana to be temperate but Ventura unbearably stuffy.

I have priced up princess cruises and did not find them more expensive,for the cruises I was looking at. , plus Celebrity. In both cases there were other reasons I did not book.

I have wandered over to both those boards, and people are no happier on there with aspects on their cruise, and cost cutting.

They are indeed mainstream but premium compared with P&O. Drink prices are higher as they are in US $ and have a 15% gratuity added. Their auto tips are higher than P&O as well. Well worth the extra IMHO

Hi there

We don't usually engage much with the entertainment. We've cruised on Princess and find them quite similar to P&O with a slight US twist. They don't have much by way of classical music either.

Have to say that we heard a lot about Celebrity before we cruised with them in August. I think we may have missed their heyday. Although we enjoyed the cruise, there was a lot of hard sell and some torn sheets and towels - to the point where DH asked if the company was in financial trouble!

However, in terms of music, they played very loud house music with a DJ in the Atrium most evenings. In terms of volume, you couldn't hear anyone and for the age of the people on board seemed a very odd choice. Made the coffee bar and Martini bar unusable for us.

The hard sell is so annoying. We often used to buy photographs but once they started accosting us everywhere we completely stopped and haven't brought one for years. It's the same with the tat they sell although I would say that a few cruises back they had real handmade jewellery with the manufacturers on board selling it, expensive though. I've noticed we use the ship more like a hotel these days and spend more time in the cabin than we once did.

The OP, Lordswanswell, might like Oceania Cruises. (not to be confused with P & O's Oceana) No loud music, daily classical concerts, no photographers no hard sell, dine when you like and with whom you like, excellent food & service. Somewhat pricey-er than P & O but there are deals to be had.

Skip the mainstream lines and the "luxury." Look at Oceania. With the new O Life perks, it's becoming mostly all inclusive for thousands less than its sister line Regent. Great food and service for only a few dollars/euros more than Celebrity.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your helpful comments. We will certainly look around at more premium lines if we consider another cruise. I accept that much of my criticisms of P&O are subjective although I don't think we were just unlucky with this particular cruise, my impression was that this was normal for them. I am also a bit unusual, I accept, in that I don't like TV, films, games, sport, dancing etc, so I really don't expect any cruise line to cater for my tastes!

Regarding the aircon, I think this was exceptional not just a matter of taste. I normally run quite hot and welcome aircon, but even I was frozen in the Footlights theatre, and it was not a matter of where we sat.