Concerned about the poor reviews of Britannia

kfowinst

We have just booked to go on Britannia next April, the one thing that exasperates me on P&O is British people cannot work out whether the lift is going up or down, it drives me mad, I also find in freedom dining the waiters miserable and unhelpful, bu I am a Princess fan and if only P&O would give their loyal customers a few more perks, getting free laundry and Internet is so wonderful, saying all this I am really looking forward to Britannia, but will miss the international mix you get on other cruise lines, the 100% British customers to tend to encourage the moaners.

We have just booked to go on Britannia next April, the one thing that exasperates me on P&O is British people cannot work out whether the lift is going up or down, it drives me mad, I also find in freedom dining the waiters miserable and unhelpful, bu I am a Princess fan and if only P&O would give their loyal customers a few more perks, getting free laundry and Internet is so wonderful, saying all this I am really looking forward to Britannia, but will miss the international mix you get on other cruise lines, the 100% British customers to tend to encourage the moaners.

I recall whilst waiting for a lift on Britannia that the lifts didn't make a "ding" noise when they arrived unlike the Princess ships. I think it was two dings for up and one for going down. People piled in regardless, often before letting those getting out first.

We missed the international mix of passengers too, but fortunately because there were so many kids on board there were fewer of the old whinge brigade.

Glad I found this thread as we are booking our 1st cruise and were put off by the reviews and planned to change to the ventura which was a day different from our original date but the reviews seemed better.

We are going to book the Britannia tonight and get on with it

I'm a little late to help you on your way however this link may help confirm you made a good decision...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

16929790376_5a8ff52505_z.jpg

Bon voyage.

Have now had time to reflect on our August med cruise on Britannia which due to the high season school hols timing apparently had the largest no of passengers it had carried since launch. It was great! Even with all those people it only felt like it on the first sunny sea day when everyone wanted to sunbathe at the same time and at sailaways when loads of people gathered to have fun.

We loved the elegance of the understated decor. The furniture choices were particularly good and there are some really great spaces on board this ship which are at least as good if not better than Celeb S class ships. In fact the only criticism would be that they needed a little more activation with some low key entertainment to take a bit of pressure off the more set piece venues. The food was terrific and the speciality restaurants were very good. We had no problems boarding or disembarking anywhere and the lift/stair issue was easily manageable. The balcony seemed small compared to past cruises but in use it worked fine (I do wonder however whether the lack of ability to lie out flat and sunbathe on balconies contributed to the slightly more crowded sea day decks?( something for the ship architects to consider). Cabin was great as were all but the odd member of staff and that was not so much in attitude just sometimes there seemed to be folks who didn't know their job that well. (Bar tenders not sure how to make cocktails on the menu!??)cabin staff were brilliant and always seemed to have a sunny disposition which given how hard they work was amazing. Never had problems with getting a good seat in the theatre 15 mins in advance which is when we would generally turn up anyway and whilst we only went twice we had no problems with the live lounge either.

Only disappointing space for me was the sunset bar which has too much external space which is under cover and yet not really 'dressed'. On each side it is an essay in white painted steel plate which has the feel of a cargo ship. Would be better enclosing and finishing more of the space with maybe sliding folding doors to open it up when required.

So in essence, one gripe about the decor in one small space on a massive ship and an amazing holiday of amazing memories. 50% want to return? That's fine by me, there will be more space and more options for booking for those like us that loved it. Roll on the next Britannia cruise.:):):)

It's nice to here positive balanced stuff. Especially about the boarding/disembarking. I've never been on Britannia (booked for April) but that has sometimes been a problem on Azura and Ventura. Like you, with the odd exception there never seems to be thousands of people on board.

There are always going to be mistakes building something like this ; you never really know how something will work until you actually use it - otherwise it's best guess from experience.