Best time to visit the Fjords?

Tarquin

As per the title,....

We've only done 'hot' 7 day summer cruises and a couple of weekends to Bruge etc., so see the Norwegian Fjords as something different.

Couple of questions..

What's the best time to go?

Is the journey from Southampton at that time rough and rocky?

Is it always cold?

As per the title,....

We've only done 'hot' 7 day summer cruises and a couple of weekends to Bruge etc., so see the Norwegian Fjords as something different.

Couple of questions..

Is it always cold?

We have done one recently (July) and others either end of the summer.

As regards the weather I think it really is pot luck. Bergen in July was lovely and warm. We have been there and it has not been cold but was very wet...they have tons of rain.

If they have a bad winter there might be problems with snow, so summer/autumn is probably best.

What is the North Sea like..We have had both bouncy and non bouncy, again difficult to say what you will get, I don't think it depends on the time of year.

The scenery is stunning whenever you chose to go..still had a fair amount of snow on the mountain tops in July.

No its not always cold ,even once you are inside the artic circle. If you get a bright sunny day it can be quite warm.

As regard clothes think thin layers, not thick heavy woollens.

We have done 3/4 to the fjords and another next year...never get tired of the views.

As per the title,....

Couple of questions..

Is it always cold?

If you work on the principle that during the summer it will probably be like a typical British summer's day, you can't go far wrong. We went in mid-August and the temps were in the high teens/low twenties. We had a mixture of light rain, cloud and sun, but it was never really cold. We were comfortable in hoodies/jeans/T-shirts, but it wasn't really shorts weather. The journey out was beautifully calm, it was a bit bumpy on the way back, but the ships are so well stabilised you hardly notice. And the gorgeous scenery makes up for any defects in the weather.

I went at the end of June in 2012 and it was chilly, and wet a few days, but overall we had clear weather. Temperature wise a little brisk and chilly but not what I would describe as cold (low teens in celcius), and when the sun came out temperatures soared. If you are worried about too cold, then July/August will be best, but I have nothing bad to say about June. I guess that is different to everyone. Jeans and a sweater, no real problem - but we did use our rain jackets a couple of times for rain showers.

Our final night coming back was bumpy. Enough that the dining rooms were only half full. People grabbed a quick bite in the buffet for the most part - but everything on the ship was still functioning and plenty of people were still wobbling about. I didn't experience any sea sickness with it, it was just easier to pack and get an early night since we were arriving at southampton at 5:30am the next morning anyway.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

We are on a 12 day Fjord cruise on Arcadia late May early June...... We booked then as we told by staff that the best time was then.... Looking at rainfall levels on research May and June are the driest as Scandinavia is a wet area..

It doesn't diminish its beauty though.....

If my arm was twisted so I had to pick a month, I think I'd go for June as having the best chance of lots of snow on the mountain tops but also lots of water in the waterfalls. It depends when it really starts to melt - sometimes in May the fosses are still frozen, sometimes they're good.

Think we may be on the same cruise as you Carter 7568. We have been in June and July before, and both times the weather was really good. Never had rain on either cruise, so I guess it's the luck of the draw. We decided to go earlier in the year next time, to experience more snow, and bigger waterfalls. It is also an opportunity to try Arcadia, as we have not sailed on her before.

Brian

Was on a cruise to Norway in early June this year. The only rain we had was in Bergen and that lasted about 2 hours. It was mild for most of the time, but we did have one very sunny day where people were wearing shorts etc. As for the North Sea. This year it was fine, but a few years back it was a very bumpy in deed. It's a matter of luck. Don't let the risk of a bumpy north sea stop you going, it's a fantastic place to go.

If your going to the north cape of Norway I would suggest you pack a warm fleece. It was very cold when we were there.

Also, be prepared to get up early, as some of the best scenery can be had while sailing up the fjords before the ship docks.

Late April early May will still be cold, lots of snow and some port excursions may not happen as the roads could be closed.

Late May early June is similar to our Spring. Lots of flowers. July into August similar to our early summer. We have had 21 degrees in June and very little rain, through to day after day of rain in August.

Crossings have largely been smooth, although on a return from Oslo in early June we did get a 5m sea with the Captain reporting gusts of 100 knots across the bow! This was the week of teh Aueens Jubilee where it threw it down durimg the Thames flotilla. We went through the low pressure which brought the rain.

Edited by Thejuggler

The Norwegian fjords was our first cruise aboard the Crown Princess... September 1st to 12th.

The weather was 21-22'c throughout!!.......It was a touch foggy in Bergen and rained for about an hour in Flaam, apart from that weather and cruise was fantastic!!

The sea was a little rough from Southampton.....until we cleared the English Channel, thereafter was really calm for the rest of the time.

I would always recommend the fjords to anyone who will listen....wonderful scenery everywhere!!

Norway was anything but Brown and cold, given the chance of returning.......Obviously!!

Steve n Wendy

We have taken two cruises to Norway from Southampton, both in the month of June. The first was a fortnight on P&O and the second one week on Cunard.

It was mild on both cruises. On the longer P&O cruise the only rain was in Andalsnes. It was sunny and mild even at the northern ports. After Narvik we sailed up to Spitzbergen then right up to the polar ice cap and even there it was sunny and mild.

On the Cunard cruise we had perfect weather except for an hour or so in Flam. Fortunately the rain came after our trip on the fabulous Flamsbana.

We went in the later half of May and it was spectacular! Cool at times, but not exceptionally so. (sweater, light jacket was the most we needed)

But it was so beautiful at that time because there was still snow on the mountains and waterfalls everywhere from the snow melt. I've not been later in the season, but I can only imagine that some of those waterfalls must be dry once the snow is gone. I'm sure the permanent waterfalls were also much more lively (for lack of a better word), as well.

High season for the flowers in the old town in Stavanger, too. Made for some beautiful photos.

We didn't find the seas choppy, that I recall. But I suppose that is somewhat relative if compared to your previous sails.

Edited by srlafleur