My first impressions of P and O

Paulandkazuk

Hi all,

As somebody who has cruised 3 times previously, all with Royal Caribbean, I thought I would post a brief summary of my impression of P and O, having returned from the recent 3 night mini cruise on the Aurora (may 7-10).

Firstly I should begin by stating I was a tiny bit apprehensive that P and O wouldn't be for us. I worried they may be a little too "old" for our age group (mid 40's). Also that they may be a little boring and "British" (ie: with a few too many 'professional grumblers').

Oh my god,how wrong could I have been? So wrong Infact that I'm ashamed to admit I ever doubted them!

The ship was beautiful. Just the right size, with lots of space per passenger in the bars and public rooms. Balcony cabin was great with a simply fantastic level of service from our room steward. Okay the balcony wasn't enormous but neither was it overlooked. And as with everything it was spotlessly clean.

Dining was also brilliant. Breakfast and dinner being superb in the Alexandria restaurant. Lunch in the Medina was perfectly fine, my only tiny tiny criticism (if you can even call it that) was that the choice of hot food wasn't extensive (but cooked perfectly and replaced very swiftly to keep it all lovely and fresh.) Salads and desserts were great (as was afternoon tea - something RCCI don't offer ).

Our fellow passengers were lovely, particularly our companions at dinner. We didn't try the speciality restaurants as it was Only a 3 night trip but heard several reports that Sindhu was excellent.

Entertainment was very good, especially Badness, who had the entire theatre on their feet in seconds.

One thing which I must compliment P and O on is the drinks prices. Cheaper than at home!!! We're not huge drinkers but to see cocktails, on a cruise ship, made with premium spirits for just over a fiver was a very very pleasant surprise. (Tip: champions bar on deck 7 does the best Singapore Sling I've ever tasted!). Especially after Royal Caribbean who were charging £8 seven years ago!! (Plus 15% tip too)

In summary I would struggle to fault P and O. Their prices are highly competitive, and the prices onboard are outstanding value.

I can't believe I ever had any doubts. We cannot wait for August 23rd (7 nights on Ventura, sailing to Atlantic Spain and Portugal), and are avidly looking at next years itineraries (my girlfriend was a first time cruiser and is now seriously hooked).

One thing I do think RCCI do do better (purely to our tastes - not to everyone) is their ships are slightly 'glitzier' with a bit more to do for teenagers etc (ours will be with us next year!) although even this may change after we've experienced Ventura in August.

Brilliant ship, brilliant fellow passengers, brilliant value.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, good review! We have just completed our fifth cruise and all have been with P&O. We read others who rate other cruise lines but have always felt we were P&O people and so far we have enjoyed every single one and can't wait for the next - Britannia in September.

Edited by Elviex

Many thanks for your review which has also set my mind at rest too having just booked a 'taster' on P&O Azura after 11 years and 18 sailings with Royal Caribbean and 1 with Carnival.

Love the idea that drink prices are more reasonable than RCI (on a May 4th 2015 RCI sailing the cheapest cocktail was $10+18% tip = £7.70 and the average was $12 +18% = £9.20!), and there seem little touches like tea/coffee in the cabins which RCI only provide when sailing out of the UK.

The décor looks more appealing than Carnival (nothing wrong with Carnival to be honest, just the décor and ship layout).

Lovely to read such a positive post. Glad you had a great time. :D

It is delightful to read such a flawless review. Thank you so much for posting it. I have said it so many times, that Cruising is such a pleasure, and having just returned from a week away at a Five star Country House Hotel, it is still hard to beat the beauty of a ship of a cruise and meeting people.

I have met many new friends on ships, and on this forum where we all interact and we all enjoy each others conversations.

The OP's post is a credit to P&O and to all of us proud to sail on her ships.

Thans

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is beautiful. GO L Y N N

We also had our 1st p&o cruise after cruising with rci. We found there were positives & negatives from each company. The ships themselves were lovely although rci wins for us on general cleanliness & maintenance. Embarkation & disembarkation were much more smooth & faster with p&o. A problem we did have with the p&o cruise was the noise from the cabin next door but maybe weve just been lucky with the neighbours weve had on rci ships. Food quality was excellent on both but bigger selection of food with rci & the main dining room was a lot more efficient with rci. The entertainment we had with both was very good & we had an excellent talk with p&o on the solar system. All in all we would use both companies again but as we are relatively young as cruisers go rci has the edge for us.

I hated P&O so much after the debacle of our first two cruises with them that I've got Britannia booked for December this year and are probably going to book Arcadia for Iceland next year.

I also hate the lot of you on this forum for daring to suggest that once you cruise you get hooked. Not a chance.... ;)

I hated P&O so much after the debacle of our first two cruises with them that I've got Britannia booked for December this year and are probably going to book Arcadia for Iceland next year.

I also hate the lot of you on this forum for daring to suggest that once you cruise you get hooked. Not a chance.... ;)

hi sis if you hate it so much why you go again on p&o boat ? am confused.com you dont like yet you go on cruise me finds it strange and me often tell people that it is a strange world i tell you its a strange world.

your bud

:) nah nah...told you so!:D

hi sis if you hate it so much why you go again on p&o boat ? am confused.com you dont like yet you go on cruise me finds it strange and me often tell people that it is a strange world i tell you its a strange world.

your bud

Hi Laura - read the post through again carefully, lol and then read behind the lines :D

Good one, shallwe!!!