Family wedding cruise and honeymoon?

We're getting married in June in Bermuda and have almost 30 family/ friends sailing with us. I am so happy they are all coming with us, but I also do not think we will have a real chance to have a honeymoon (we have 5 balcony rooms in a row). Any one else doing a seperate honeymoon san the family?

I've been thinking about it.

I only have 16 people sailing (including my family of 4) but my family will be around the entire time, esp my mom. Plus i have 2 small kids (2 and 7), so it wont be much of a honeymoon at all!

Even if it's a small honeymoon, i'm thinking about booking something for just him and I. We are getting married in beg of Oct. So i'm looking at possibly booking a 3 day cruise to bahamas on new years eve weekend. We've been together a long time, but never got to spend a new years together since he always works! Last year, i was asleep by 10 and he woke me up at midnight for a kiss and i just went right back to sleep! (ya, i'm a 26 year old, old fart! haha)

I think it's a great idea, not sure if it's possible, but I think it's worth looking into! A week full of family and friends can be exhausting! If you can do it, You definately deserve a honeymoon with JUST your husband!

A week full of family and friends can be exhausting! If you can do it, You definately deserve a honeymoon with JUST your husband!

This is why I've never really understood the concept of a cruise with your family for a honeymoon.

This is why I've never really understood the concept of a cruise with your family for a honeymoon.

For me, it makes sense. I'm not willing to a week without my kids, esp to jamaica and grand cayman. If something were to happen to my kids while i was in a foreign country, or with no cell phone service.....i would just be filled with worry the entire cruise. So i get to take my kids with me, BUT not have to spend the week with them. They will be in camp during the day and then spend the night with each person on the ship (a night with my mom, one with my in-laws, one with my best friend...ect). I get the best of both worlds.

But with a weekend cruise, i'd be close enough to be able to get home quickly and not gone long enough to worry. I've spend weekends away from my 7 year old. By then my 2 year old will be 3 and I would be ok with 2 or 3 nights away..... I only live 1.5 hours away from the port so it's close enough for comfort for me.....

It's not for everyone.... but with my family life, it works....

We are doing the wedding cruise with 20 of our friends and family, then a week in Disney with just my family (we're Disney Vacation Club members) and then my fiancee and I are going to the Keys for a few days to his family's condo because it's easy to go there for a few days whenever we want.

Since we're having a reception back at home the week after we return. I think after all is said and done, I may just book a last minute cruise for July, just us.

I think that whatever YOU TWO want to do is what you should do! It's your wedding and if you want a trip alone after the trip with the family, you should do it..... It's all about you right now! Take advantage of it ;-)

For me, it makes sense. I'm not willing to a week without my kids, esp to jamaica and grand cayman. If something were to happen to my kids while i was in a foreign country, or with no cell phone service.....i would just be filled with worry the entire cruise. So i get to take my kids with me, BUT not have to spend the week with them. They will be in camp during the day and then spend the night with each person on the ship (a night with my mom, one with my in-laws, one with my best friend...ect). I get the best of both worlds.

But with a weekend cruise, i'd be close enough to be able to get home quickly and not gone long enough to worry. I've spend weekends away from my 7 year old. By then my 2 year old will be 3 and I would be ok with 2 or 3 nights away..... I only live 1.5 hours away from the port so it's close enough for comfort for me.....

It's not for everyone.... but with my family life, it works....

I agree with you 100% being a mother of 2 there is just no way I can leave the country for an extended period of time without my 2 and 11 year old! This is not our honeymoon and to be honest we haven't even discuss it. I've been too busy wedding planning but hopefully when we get back we will start planning for a mini vacation/honeymoon with NO FAMILY,FRIENDS or KIDS.:D

AGREED- The wedding cruise was NOT a sufficient honeymoon!!! It was AMAZING, but not a honeymoon!

We had 46 sailing guests on a 5 day cruise with us. Sooooo amazing. But you can imagine, neices and nephews knocking on your door, grandma and mom in your room, all sorts of stuff going on all time time :) So we sort of saw the cruise as an extension of our wedding....

Then when we got back to port, and everyone was flying home, we flew that day to puerto rico and spent 8 glorious days on dry land on the west coast of PR. BEAUTIFUL!!! Now, that was a honeymoon!!!

PERFECT!

We are doing a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas with our family (Sat - Thurs) .... then we are flying to Jamaica on Friday to an all inclusive resort inOcho Rios :) Definitely need "us" time after 5 days of family/wedding time. So excited ... CONGRATULATIONS!!

regardless if you are doing the cruise as a wedding/honeymoon or just one of them and you are traveling with family I don't know that I would want to be 5 cabins in a row and if we were i would want the end of the row.

There are some noises, no matter how innocent they are, when heard through the walls, it creates an image that can never be erased for your mind (or your guests)

regardless if you are doing the cruise as a wedding/honeymoon or just one of them and you are traveling with family I don't know that I would want to be 5 cabins in a row and if we were i would want the end of the row.

There are some noises, no matter how innocent they are, when heard through the walls, it creates an image that can never be erased for your mind (or your guests)

haha:) I am on the end and my MOH is nextdoor

Since we're sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, we're actually thinking about catching a train from the port to Orlando and spending just one or two nights there before heading back to Philadelphia. I just MUST see "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." (Yeah, I'm a geek.)

We had 60 guests sail with us. It was great week, and I wouldn't have traded that time with both of our families. But it sure didn't seem like a honeymoon. So about six months later, we took another cruise all by ourselves. I highly recommend it.

Since we're sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, we're actually thinking about catching a train from the port to Orlando and spending just one or two nights there before heading back to Philadelphia. I just MUST see "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." (Yeah, I'm a geek.)

We rented a car and went to Disney and universal after one of our cruises. When we booked it we thought Harry Potter would be open, we missed it by 2 weeks, I think it was. I'm jealous.

as a tip. There are a lot of timeshares in the area that will provide accommodation, rental car and or admission tickets if you do their 2 hour presentation.

There's a train from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando?? Where and when? TIA.

We are having friends and family sail with us on our WEDDING cruise to celebrate our wedding with us...that said we are doing a b2b and the 2nd week will just be us. We have always wanted to try a b2b and this is the perfect excuse for it! Now...since we cruise alot we didnt feel that a cruise was special enough to be called a HONEYMOON so the following year for our 1 year anniversary is when we will take our honeymoon! :)

lol.... we sailed with 53 friends a family. How we explained it to them was that the cruise was an extension of the reception - to keep the party going!

Since my fiance/now husband is in school, we wanted a lot of bang for the buck. The cruise let us have a mini family reunion and a wedding on a budget, but gave us alone time.

However, too many of them thought it was our honeymoon and didn't include us in their plans - we ended up missing out on some great moments (like my mother-in-law winning a dancing medal in the night club!)

When our family members booked rooms which completely surrounded us - we upgraded to the next floor, some sounds just aren't meant to be heard! lol.

We plan on doing a separate honeymoon to Europe (I hope) when he graduates!

I just got the nerve to talk to my mom today about us taking a REAL honeymoon. We were going to do new years eve, but if we go the first or 2nd weekend in december it's more than HALF the price!!!!

I'm so excited, because my mom said she would keep the girls for the 4 nights/5 days!!! I'm so excited! So sometime in the next few weeks, i'll be booking another cruise!

I think what i'm MOST excited about is the fact that i know i'm going to have "post wedding depression" when I get back from the cruise. We all put so much time and effort in planning this and when i get back i know i'm going to have the feeling of "what now?!" and nothing to excite me or fill my time, but now i'll have another cruise i can plan! And with NO NO NO KIDS!!!!!!! :-)

Then it'll be christmas and new years...and oh my! Busy end of the year...

Anyways, just had to share, cuz i thought for sure she would try to talk me out of it and not want to keep the kids that long.... but she had no problems and said "sure, i can do that!", total surprise! :-)

Archived