Flights out of San Jaun

hishorselover

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I appreciate any advice. We are cruising on Carnival Fascination next May. I plan to purchase the Faster the Fun plan. In your opinion, how likely are we to make an 11:41 AM flight out of SJU to USA?? When I went with my sister a few years ago (Valor) I remember getting to the airport well before noon and waiting hours for our 2:30PM flight. We have no issues with self disembarkation and plan to be off the ship ASAP in the morning. Thoughts? I wish the airlines would offer flights that cater to the cruise lines a bit more but I suppose this is how they make their money too. Thanks!

Carnival recommends flights no earlier than 12 noon out of San Juan. Remember, you also have to go through an agricultural check at the airport in addition to the regular security screening. Why end your vacation on a stressed out note trying to make an early flight? If there's an afternoon flight, go with that one instead and save yourself the worry and hassle. Besides, the fact that you have to ask people if you can make the flight tells me that you are well aware that there is a chance you might not make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say I'm well aware that I might not make it. My experience was that we made it with a TON of time to spare and I'm wondering if this is the norm. I know Carnival will say not to book before noon but I'm sure this is to cover themselves as well. I'm not looking for someone to say...."sure, you'll have no problem". I guess what I'm looking for is what MOST people experience. The issues with the later flights is that a one hour difference taking off becomes 5 hours later landing and hundreds of dollars more.

We always fly out of San Juan before noon. We even snagged a 10:30 flight once and were able to make it to the airport in plenty of time. Just make sure you are one of the first off the ship, grab a taxi right away and you should be able to get through the agriculture check point and security with no issues.

We like to take an evening flight out, check the bags across the street and have lunch in Old San Juan before heading to the airport. If we are not spending the night before flying home. We have also taken the ferry over the bay and then a taxi to Bacardi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our last cruise out of SJ, the debarking passengers were held up because of a custom's check of the ship. We were waiting to board at 11:30, and they were just coming off. People were crazed because many missed their flights. I wouldn't book a flight before 1 pm after what we witnessed.

We were in debarkation group 1 on our last cruise out of San Juan. We were at the airport, through the agriculture line with checked bags by 9:30. We weren't in a rush because our flight wasn't until afternoon. We headed right to TSA and were in the TSA line for more than two hours. It may be a lot quicker now but on that day there were numerous people not making their morning flights. That was our experience, but that doesn't mean it's the norm.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I wish the airlines would offer flights that cater to the cruise lines a bit more but I suppose this is how they make their money too. Thanks!

They airlines do have the flights that cater to the cruisers but they are usually the most expensive flights of the day.

We like to take an evening flight out, check the bags across the street and have lunch in Old San Juan before heading to the airport. If we are not spending the night before flying home. We have also taken the ferry over the bay and then a taxi to Bacardi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sounds like a great idea. I will have to remember the ferry to Bacardi.

I've cruised out of SJ twice on Celebrity in December and was able to make 10AM flights. Their ship, the Summit, was scheduled for a 6AM docking and I was off the ship doing carry off before 7AM. Taxied to the airport, found the agricultural check and there wasn't a line that early in the morning.

I believe I was TSA pre checked for the 2nd time out, but I was flying business class anyway, so was able to use the priority TSA check through line. Easy and quick.

I've since gotten Global Entry and just used it last weekend to bypass hundreds in line at Customs and airline check in at Atlanta coming back from Costa Rica. Global Entry is well worth the $100 fee for 5 years!

I've flown after cruises to San Juan 4 times. Each of them were scheduled 7 AM arrivals. Each time I made it to the gate by 9:30. I'm going to say that a 11:41 AM flight shouldn't present much of a problem if you self-disembark. Yes, there could be delays in any number of places, but the chances that you will be delayed long enough to miss that flight is minimal.

P.S. San Juan is part of the USA.

I would prefer the earlier flight because landing back home at 9:00 then having a 45 minute drive home combined with my husband needing to be back at work at 6:00 am the next day....unfortunately his PTO is not flexible, he has to take a week at time. If would be fantastic if you could get a direct flight later in the day, not just in the morning. I guess this is what I meat by the airlines catering to cruisers a little more....