Welcome drinks?

Vibrantvirgo81

You are correct I started cruising in 1992 and I don't remember that either.Gary

All through the 80s through February of '91 for us there was the Captain's Welcome Reception. If you didn't want a rum swizzle from the trays the stewards had you could ask for a drink from the bar and house brand well drinks and house wine and beer were complimentary for the one-hour length of the reception.

Many of us have not forgotten and savor the memory of this fun event on Carnival. You stood on line outside the showroom and a social hostess introduced you to the captain, a photo was taken and then you entered the show lounge for live entertainment on stage with cocktails being served and later the ship's officers would be introduced and the captain would make a welcome address. The welcome reception was open to all passengers on board.

So if you wait until on board to purchase cheers (with gift cards) will you be charged tax on that entire amount if still in port? Would negate the saving I would think.

You are not charged tax on the entire package. You are only charged tax on the individual drinks you have while still in the home port. Once in international waters, there is no tax on the drinks.

Number one nothing is free on a CCL cruise, however I've found the welcome drinks are pretty strong I guess that is done to get passengers fired up but drinks on other days seen to be weaker and I have complained, if you are paying 10 dollars plus for a drink it should have a kick.

Gary

If you are saying 'welcome drinks' = fun ship specials on trays hawked by servers on lido deck, then:

I have found the opposite to be true. If I want a fun ship special, I would go to a bar and get one as in my experience, they are watered down from sitting and having the ice melt in them.

As far as the other drinks are concerned, I have not experienced "weak". Mid to strong IMO.

If you are saying 'welcome drinks' = fun ship specials on trays hawked by servers on lido deck, then:

I have found the opposite to be true. If I want a fun ship special, I would go to a bar and get one as in my experience, they are watered down from sitting and having the ice melt in them.

As far as the other drinks are concerned, I have not experienced "weak". Mid to strong IMO.

Agreed on the melted ice in the prepoured drinks. And I find that the strength of the drinks depends on who is making them kind of like the bars at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would prefer, "Thank you for cruising Carnival, please enjoy this complimentary drink to start off your cruise"

Do you expect the place that sells you gas to give you a complimentary drink as a thank you? Your grocery store? I know this sounds flippant, but seriously, why do people feel that cruise lines owe them more? I go to all inclusive resorts in addition to cruises, and find cruises a very good bargain in terms of what they give you for the amount they charge. We have had 7 day balconies for less than $700 a person. Our last all inclusive in Cancun we paid $1800 per person, it did include airfare.