Elation ...thoughts on cruising solo

BreeP

Hi, I wonder what your thoughts are about someone like me cruising solo. I'm in my late 40's, introvert, INFJ, married so not looking for romance, but am hoping for fun and to get out of my comfort zone for a bit. Is it safe for someone to go solo?

My husband just went on his first cruise with a friend and had a lovely time, but said I would not probably have fun alone. I'm just curious on other's thoughts on this.

Thank you very much.

I'm going solo for the first time tomorrow and think a cruise is a relatively safe option for solo travel. Make friends on your roll call. This may be a good time to book a ships excursion instead of on your own if you are going somewhere you are not familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I wonder what your thoughts are about someone like me cruising solo. I'm in my late 40's, introvert, INFJ, married so not looking for romance, but am hoping for fun and to get out of my comfort zone for a bit. Is it safe for someone to go solo?

My husband just went on his first cruise with a friend and had a lovely time, but said I would not probably have fun alone. I'm just curious on other's thoughts on this.

Thank you very much.

Sure it's safe and it could be alot of fun.

I love cruising solo!!! Will be doing so again in January on the splendor. I am divorced, cruised several times when I was married, but actually like cruising solo just as well, maybe more. Completely safe. Some times I make friends, sometimes I don't talk to anyone I don't have to. Sometimes I take excursions. Sometimes I don't. Cruising is what you make of it..peace and quiet solitude or party city..your choice. That's the best part..what I do is my choice!!!

I've cruised solo on Elation. It's what you make of it. If you want to meet people definitely join the roll call. They will usually organize some group activities. Sign up for a set dining time and you will likely be assigned a table with other solos. You can meet people at the bar, the blackjack table, or playing trivia. If you prefer to do things alone that's easy to do as well. You should checkout the solo board if you haven't already.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Mid-30's married female INTJ here. I chose cruising as a safe way to vacation by myself. My husband hates water and boats, so I solo cruise about once a year. It is absolutely safe on the boat. Take care in ports just as you would if walking alone in a large city. If I ever decide to do excursions, I will stay with Carnival.

If you truly are an introvert, then you could absolutely have a fantastic time on vacation by yourself. Curl up and people watch or read a good book.

Best ship to do a solo on! I love the Aft deck with cushioned lounges for laying out in the sun. They will probably put you at a large table for dinner with other solos. Ship is small enough to find your way around easily. Love this ship - my favorite. Excursions are usually groups so you will not feel alone.

I have never cruised solo, but I have been on the Elation several times and I really like the ship! I always feel safe when walking around the ship by myself and there are a lot of activities that you can join, but there are also a lot of places that you can just relax and read or people watch. I would just recommend not going off by yourself in a port...I've never felt unsafe in any port, but I've also always been with someone else. Hope you go and have a great time!

Thank you very much.

I was 44 when I went on my first solo cruise. It was my second cruise, but my first one as a solo. I was however very used to travelling solo by that time having travelled a lot on land vacations, both with others, and alone. I was also not looking to hook up with anyone, and don't think any one thought I was.

I met up with other similar cruisers, some married, some not, but many travelling solo, just because. I too am an introvert, but do enjoy meeting people when I do, but just as happy to relax on a deck chair with a good book by myself.

Some of my friends and family don't understand how I can have fun cruising solo, and I don't even try to explain anymore. I go and find my own fun, or quite often it is just me time, doing whatever I please.

I think you just have to try it once and see if it is for you.

I do however read more often than ever that people who tried a solo cruise loved it, and have rarely heard anyone say they did not enjoy it. But I am sure it could go either way, and will depend on you, and what your interests are. If you go, hope you have a great time:)

Carnival ships and crew really do not cater to solos, but safety wise they are no different than other lines. Mention was already made about NCL solo studio cabins, solo forum and excursion safety. Suggest you research these areas before making a final decision.

I do 75% of my cruising solo, and have never had my safety compromised on any cruise, shore excursion (or land vacation) that I've taken. I'm a guy who grew up in da Bronx, so I learned to be street wise early on.

Thank you very much.

I just re-read your post and I'm not sure if you're coming back to the thread, but the bolded bit caught my eye.

I strongly feel that if you're able to 'have fun alone' during non-vacation time, you can absolutely have fun alone on a trip. I know some people feel weird if they don't have someone to talk to (or take care of, or whatever) at all times, but you already know if you're that person or not. If you're not, you'll be fine.

I love cruising solo!!! Will be doing so again in January on the splendor. I am divorced, cruised several times when I was married, but actually like cruising solo just as well, maybe more. Completely safe. Some times I make friends, sometimes I don't talk to anyone I don't have to. Sometimes I take excursions. Sometimes I don't. Cruising is what you make of it..peace and quiet solitude or party city..your choice. That's the best part..what I do is my choice!!!

I agree on my first cruise I was a nervous wreck in my sixties Never ate with strangers. Now I love cruising by myself on Norwegian. :)

I cruised solo last month, will cruise solo again in Oct, January and a solo transatlantic in April. My advice is don't let anyone talk you out of it. I've met so many wonderful people. Join the roll call for your cruise and you will "know" people before you even get on the ship.

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking ...some me time. I'm afraid I won't socialize enough, but that said I'm a big-time people watcher and never have alone time, so for that alone I think I would enjoy it.

Mid-30's married female INTJ here. I chose cruising as a safe way to vacation by myself. My husband hates water and boats, so I solo cruise about once a year. It is absolutely safe on the boat. Take care in ports just as you would if walking alone in a large city. If I ever decide to do excursions, I will stay with Carnival.

If you truly are an introvert, then you could absolutely have a fantastic time on vacation by yourself. Curl up and people watch or read a good book.

Thank you so much to everyone who took time out to reply. It means a lot. I am afraid that I may be a little too anti-social, but then again maybe I can open up and get out of my comfort zone since I will be completely out of my element. I think I'm going to go for it! :D

Hey don't feel bad! I'm taking my 6 year old son on his first cruise soon. Just me and him. Celebrating my birthday, and there is nobody else I'd rather go have fun with. Am I a little worried people may think I'm crazy? Sure! But he's an awesome kid and is so excited! We are going to have a blast!

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking ...some me time. I'm afraid I won't socialize enough, but that said I'm a big-time people watcher and never have alone time, so for that alone I think I would enjoy it.

I was nervous the first time I went solo. The thing is, lots of people wander around by themselves all the time so that it's impossible to tell who is cruising alone and who is just by themselves for the moment. I avoided the main dining room the first time because I thought I would feel awkward eating a sit down meal by myself, but now I'm not bothered one way or another.

My favorite thing is being able to do things on my schedule. If I don't want to socialize, I don't. If I want to sleep in, I go for it. Vacationing alone is a special treat in my book.

Hey, how did the solo cruise go for you??? I"m curious.

thanks

I'm going solo for the first time tomorrow and think a cruise is a relatively safe option for solo travel. Make friends on your roll call. This may be a good time to book a ships excursion instead of on your own if you are going somewhere you are not familiar with.